On the sick

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just after a bit of advice or people who can relate. I'm 28 and been suffering from anxiety and panic order for 5 months. Had CBT, acupuncture, reflexology and tried different meds. Nothing seems to help other than diazepam to take the edge off. Basically my contract in work ends at the end of September, and I know 100% that I am incapable of starting a new job because of my disorder, it rules my life and I've already had many weeks off sick because of it. I've tried looking for new jobs in preparation for my contract ending but deep down I know I'm dreaming as in reality I would be a mess having to meet new people, learn a new job etc. so my question is, are any of you guys on long term sick from anxiety? Or even short term? I'm not sure how if works but I take it your doctor has to sign you off? I'd appreciate any advice any one can offer. Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi friend,

My first worry is that you are on diazepam. Speak to your Doc obviously, but you can't stay on those things. You build up a tolerance to them and they can have some rebound anxiety as they wear off.  I was on them.  I completely understand where you are - I run my own business and caved in 2 years ago with panic attacks which went on for months. I also have depression.  I feel very good today though and I'm working and looking after the family. I can give you my story in short if it helps you in any way: After the initial crash I went onto Citalopram ( an anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication, very common now ) - this helped setlle me down and  go back to work. It might make you feel a little disconnected from the world but that's a small price to pay for getting some respite under your belt. I then started to look at the CBT aspects of panic - and once I learned (your brain needs time to learn about your condition and unlearn bad habits)   I started on the path to being able to manage my anxiety. I am still on a low dose (10mg) and my diet and lifestyle is geared up to minimise my depressive symptoms (no booze or drugs, high serotonin foods like wholewheat etc.and as much exercise as I can manage).  I was reacting to my own fear mainly - when the panic comes on, our adrenaline kicks in and it doesn't feel good. However, believe it or not, I actually embrace it when it comes on now - and that sort of disarms it. Don't run away, try and accept it as part of you and it weakens the effect. Smile at it when it comes and do some deep relaxation techniques like clenching your fists really tight for a while and then letting go, or deep breathing. It always passes and you won't go crazy believe me. Here's something else - I'm not religious at all but I started praying every now and again and I felt good for it - something to do with handing over the reigns to a higher power, let me off the hook. You will be fine eventually and may even see it one day as a blessing which helped you learn more about yourself and how to really look after yourself, and care about your own needs. Good luck. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not sure about the signing off bit sorry - just wanted to reach out
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its ok as that can sometimes happen. Your gp will sign a paper of temporarily disabled. For six months for example . Or you can start disability procedure if available in your country. You can go off it in future. But for now it seems best option for you. You will get income per month.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

yes i keep phoning in sick with anxiety sometimes i cant even leave the house i fear to go to work and speak to people on loads of medication but i have been on it that long it dosnt seem to work anymore. sue
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello all, thanks for replying. 

I only take the diazapam as and when as  only given a few at a time. I've tried citalopram but felt a million times worse so after 2 weeks came off it. I've been prescribed something else instead but I haven taken it as I'm afraid I'll suffer all the side effects again.  

I'm trying to be good with my diet and haven't touched alcohol or caffeine for 4 months. I think the acupuncture helped a bit but it's so expensive. 

Zoopansee I'm not sure I'll ever be able to embrace it like you, you sound like your doing really well. I struggle also when I'm having a really bad day and I have my daughter to look after, sometimes I can hardly get out of bed, it's so crippling. I've bought a book with great reviews so waiting for that to arrive and hope that helps a bit. But this work situation is stressing me out. Arhhhhh.......

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up