on the verge of panic attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

ugh i hate this! my brain fog derealization is driving ne nuts sometimes i was taking a shower and ofc i start thinking and i start feeling my mind race and i think great im gonna lose it and go ompletely crazy and die 😭 im on my 2nd week of sertraline please tell me it gets better i hate this!!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

If sertraline is anything like prozac it will take a while for you to see any changes. I know you must've heard this a million times, but breathing and taking your mind off of going crazy helps. I know many people have said to just deal with it because it's all part of the anxiety, talk yourself into realizing that you are alive, you are not dying, and you're not going to. Anxiety is definitely a crazy thing to deal with, trust me I know, but if you let it take over, it will. Keep fighting it, and continue to take your medication, and if later on its still not working, speak to your doc. Best of luck honey, ♡
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, it takes time for these drugs to work, but if the side effects are making you feel far worse than before starting, then perhaps this isn't the right drug for you.  Discuss it with your doctor.  I have taking Prozac, Effexor and Wellbutrin, and none of those made me feel crummy on start up.  I have seen this with citalopram, that the start up effects are horrendous and seem to last for a few months before people feel better, but I wonder why suffer that much when there are other ADs that aren't so tough to start!

You may be a slow metabolizer, too.  Apparently there is a DNA test they can do now to determine this.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hang in there Tammi

going through the same since about a month now...was under control for some time and just kicked in again. Have been dealing with panic attacks and GAD since 2008. Therapy, clinic, anti-depressants helped and keep helping but sometimes i go through these periods. Let it come...face it and laugh at the panic...let if flow right through you...i try the same...works most of the time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi tammy

90% of us hate starting this drug, but ask them the same question after taking it for some time and it's a totaly different outcome.

​sertraline is one of the best out there, but comes at a cost, anything from 2 - 12 weeks can be the time it takes to feel better, most get results aftre 4 weeks some 6 weeks and the minority 12 weeks,

dont consider stopping until you have been on the meds much longer, if you are very ill and you are not suffering any of the more serious symptoms for example rashes swelling then please try and push through it,it will be worht the struggle, to stop now after 2 weeks and start something else isn't really going to benifit you, because it most likley will be another ssri med. 

​i pressume you are on 50mg with an outlook to increase to 100mg after approx 1 month, DR will check you prior to see how you are going, anything less that 50mg wont really be of much benifit. also depending on your age dont drink, dont take grapefruit juice and dont take st johns wart. take care you will be fine

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up