on waiting list - how long will i have to wait?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

iv got gaulstones and had an infected gaulbladder but am feeling alot better now, but have been told by my gp that he is referring me for surgery but he didnt say how long id have to wait.  do any of you know how long it might be? im in the midlands uk.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm in London and I waited 6 weeks. But mine was rushed through as I had severe pancreatitis too which made me extremely ill. Hopefully you won't wait too long  good luck x
  • Posted

You should be seen within 18 weeks from doctor referral. You will get a letter from booking office, you then ring up and they will give you the date of your appointment. It will depend on your GP classes your case. But if you are ill in between see if they can bring the time forward.

• Posted

Hi I too am in the midlands. Saw gp june 7th, surgeon July 23rd pre op assessments sept 15th operation nov 8th.
  • Posted

Hello Loz,

you say GP is referring you for surgery, but you must be seen by a relevant Surgeon, who may well have a couple of scans first, maybe a MRI ir HIDA scan. He wont just jump in on the GP's say so!

With my experience once results back and depends how quickly after seeing surgeon you have the tests, then if all confirmed it can beanything up to 3 months provided you don't have anyu adverse problems beforhand,and I am sure they'd need to know that you are ok to have op if your gallbladder has previously been infected. Certainly like my surgeon, he wanted to be sure that removing gallbladder was the right cause of action.

wish you well

• Posted

ive not had surgery before so confused about what happens.  so far iv had a scan and was told by the person who did the ultra sound that i would be refered for surgery straight away, so i thought that he would sort it out.  but then went to gp who said hed be referring me.  i thought he meant for surgery. so who is referring me for what is a bit confusing.  so i assume from what you have said is that my gp refers me to outpatients, who then arrange for surgery...why cant the medical profession make it clear?  from my scan when he said straight away i thought he meant in the next week or so..oh well time will tell.  thanks everybody smile
  • Posted

The first I knew it might be gallbladder was from a nurse on 111 help line a locum gp said rheumatoid arthritis maybe! told my own gp what the nurse said when blood tests still high and he agreed and he order the scan. When the results came back to him he sent me to the surgeon who put me on his waiting list. My surgery wasn't done by him which in my nieve knowledge of these things I thought it would be , but a lovely young (well young to me about 35)! lady who was part of his team she was brilliant and very experienced(i looked up after) also caring as well.good luck hope your appointment comes through soon , step nearer recovery.
  • Posted

I am sorry to say that I am in the Midlands UK and I have been on the waiting list for over 6 months now, with four trips to hospital by ambulance and three lots of antibiotics for inflammation/infection. Absolutely disgusted at being treated like this and just left with what feels like a ticking time bomb. I have been extremeley poorly this week, Have had cocodamol, pethadine, morphine and a 16month old to look after. Currently have PALS on the case to see what they can do but at the moment there is no end in sight 😟. I have had one pre-op but the time has lapsed on this and I am going for another next week with still no op date in sight.
  • Posted

How longs a piece of string question this one.

When I was in hospital for 10 days this time last year they were going to try and remove the bladder then but after 3 days of not being able to fit me in I was released and told by the surgeon it would be about 4 weeks. 3 weeks passed and I chased up the hospital to be told 4 weeks was totally unrealistic and ended up with an appointment 5 weeks later in early March, unfortunately my surgery was pulled whilst in theatre due to detection of a heart problem, I was then referred to a cardiologist, this took them 2 weeks to send me a letter to ask me to call and make an appointment, when I called I had a 3 month wait to see them at end of May which was a total waste of time as after a raft of tests all the cardiologist said was known his opinion I was fit for surgery and that they should have tried administering this or that drug to bring my heart under control, which he said from reading the notes they had not. It then took them 2 weeks to write to me to say I could now have surgery, I then didn't get an appointment till mid November some 22 weeks later. I had hoped that I would have been a priority after being cleared for surgery but I obviously wasn't and was firmly at the bottom of the list.

It's funny though that after my surgery the surgeon said had they realised how bad my bladder was they would have taken it out in January, I did say I was in hospital for 4 days and hooked up to a morphine pump for a few days for the pain, bloods taken twice a day and antibiotics being made up specifically from the results of the bloods as per level of infection, I also had ultrasound and an ercp test, I guess there was a failure in communication about how bad I was at the time.

• Posted

So not funny to be so let down by the system. So sorry you went through so much. Unless you have experienced the pain then you have no idea how bad it is. Wish you the best oh health for the future.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up