on week 7 and still struggling, advice please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

Ive posted here before and really need some advice, this is my sixth week on citalopram and my sleep is still not good. Im still getting obsessive thinking about the sleep and my anxiety. The anxiety has eased but i still feel like i haven't got my life back. I started back work today after 2 months off (im a teacher) so it'll be good to get back into a routine. I also get a burning forehead quite regularly and wonder if it is down to lack of sleep or anxiety. Im on 20mg and feel it is probably abit to soon to go an higher.

Any advice given really appreciated as the light ar the end of the tunnel seems quite far away!

Xx

Laura

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

I was feeling very much like you for the 1st 6 weeks. I upped my dosage 17 days ago and already feel so much better. I still have awful retching in the morning and a little dizzy but that is due to the increase. I am now beginning to feel my old self. It is really worth having a discussion with your gp it may be an increase could make all the difference.

Wish you well

Warmest regards

Lorraine

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lorraine, im just reluctant to up the dose when i feel like at 6 weeks it may still be getting into my system. I do definitely feel better anxiety wise, i just want everything else to follow. Maybe I'm being too impatient. Also suffering from really bad headaches...

xx

• Posted

Hi Laura

I have seen lots of comments about headaches on citalopram. Sounds dreadful. In hindsight I think your wise to wait a bit longer as 20mg is an ideal amount for most people. Let me know how you get on if you get time.

Warmest wishes and wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi , what time do u take your medication, l take mine just before bed, 20 mins and they make me sleepy actually, wish u well.
    • Posted

Hi Richard, i take mine in the morning maybe i should experiment with taking them at night. I think this week is particularly bad because ive started back to and want to have a good nights sleep. I just want to be able to get to a point when i dont worry about it...probably wishful thinking!
  • Posted

Hi Laura, cit ssri is brilliant for depression and supposedly for anxiety too, you are not on the tabs long enough to see an effect, give it another 2 weeks and if u still have bad side effects maybe u need to try a different ssri, I know It is hell, I remember when I was treated for depression and was first put on steraline and it did not suit me at all very bad side effects, I still stayed on it 7 weeks hoping i would adjust and I didn't, you have to give it another little while if it doesn't suit you try steraline, there will be one that will make u feel better, hang on there x
  • Posted

P.s do not go higher, your body is still adjusting to the med.
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny for taking the time to give me some advice... Yeah i agree im gonna give another few weeks as i do still think/hope im getting used to the meds. Just want things to be back to the way they were 4 months ago before the anxiety began. Agree about not upping med too xxx
    • Posted

Hi Laura, yeah u need to give it time, I am on 10mg a few months now but I kind of felt it was not doing much as this is my second time to take a course of them, the first time was for depression and they worked brilliantly, I have slowly upped to 20mg and am taking the 20 now the last two days, I have had no real side affects other that a pressure headache iv had a few days and just a feeling of being in limbo like not as happy as I was previously.

I have read ssri in general do bring out any depression or anxiety u have had to begin with in the initial treatment and even increasing ur dose, it's scary as I have not felt this crap in years lol seems counter productive to up a med that will make me feel worse! But I'm harbouring hope this means it is going to work, tonight is the first night I feel more like myself but even happier so maybe they are beginning to work.

I understand your sense of just wanting to get back to the way things are but you really need to accept where u are now and be patient with yourself and with the medication too, believe me it will help you, it will just take time, it's amazing the treatments we have, we are blessed.

• Posted

Didn'tn any sleep at all last night, was terrible. Feeling quite hopeless today. Can't work out if its the meds or my anxiety? And at 6 weeks in should this not be better !thanks jennyxx
    • Posted

Hi Laura

I really feel for you and I know what it is like to count the weeks and see not a lot in terms of improvement. It honestly will get better and the difference can happen quite quickly. I agree if you are no better in a week or two it's really worth having a chat with your GP especially in terms of your sleep deprivation.

Wishing you a better tomorrow

L

• Posted

Thankyou Lorraine, im in work and its very tough having had no sleep. Im going through ups and downs, i think once the sleep gets better everything else will fall into place...i just hope that will be soon!

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.