One sided pain...?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else find their pain tends to favour a side? With me my sore throat, blocked ears, ear ache etc tends to favour my right side 95% of the time. I was wondering if anyone knew there was a reason. I initial thought I was sleeping on that side so the acid was coming up one side of my throat but I've made sure I'm sleeping on my left and there's no change. I also get aches in my ribs and under my shoulder blade on the right. I did mention gallbladder to the doctor about this but they didn't seem to think it related to that. X

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Likewise. I always experienced more problems with my right side: principally ears and nose blocking.

Your oesophagus enters the top of the stomach from the right hand side so any reflux is likely to spill out on that side. That's why it's recommended you lie on your left to help reduce the reflux. Maybe you turn in your sleep?

Although gall problems are often related, it wouldn't normally be the cause of right-centric symptoms.

• Posted

Interesting to know it's not just me. Since I've been paying attention I've never fallen asleep or woken up on my right side but maybe I'm doing it then turning back. I guess one quick turn is all it takes to pour the acid out! I did think it was unlikely to be my gallbladder. My right sided pains seem tied in with the sore throat and I always though gall bladder pains were more sporadic and severe whereas mine are fairly constant and more annoying than painful.

• Posted

I too experience pain on my right side.  It starts undermy right shoulder blade and wraps around to the center of my breast, and under the rib cage.  Mydoctors are not  concerned about it either.  really hacks me!!!  I think it is a problem but evidentally no one else does.  I had Nissen about 19 months ago and am havingmy wrap removed in November hopefully this will alleviate the pain and make me feel bettter.  GHood luck to you.

• Posted

That's exactly like my pain! It almost feels like if I could lift my shoulder blade and rib cage up I'd be able to stretch it out and ease itbut nothing I can do seems to get rid of it. So frustrating! I hope having the wrap removed helps and you find some relief! Xx

• Posted

Sad for you all but so glad to read I'm not the only one! Always right side for me too. Makes me feel really ill in so many ways. I was told probably reflux because I've had lots tests & nothing shows but I never feel acid coming up so guessing silent reflux. I've recently tried an osteopath & have 2 say it is helping as I think it can be also connected to nerves etc

• Posted

Most of my pain is on both sides but I have noticed that my left ear seems to be a bit more sensitive than my right ear if that helps
  • Posted

No idea gems, but mine tend to be the left side, so I guess it's just where the referred pain ends up going and where you happen to have nerves that get irritated....that's my theory at least! I try hard to sleep on my left to keep the stomach acid away from the LES.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.