One week after antibiotics finished and have lingering bowel pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi Its one week after I have finished the antibiotics and I still have bowel pain and finding it hard to eat normal food.  Almost soup based diet and feeling a bit of nausea at times.  Is this normal post antibiotics or should I go back to doctor?.  I am feeling more and more depressed and don't want to speak to people about it incase they think I am overreacting.  Am I? and should I just get on with it?  I keep worrying it is serious and I wont be able to live alone anymore.  Does the pain and discomfort just linger for a few weeks after a diverticulitis attack?  I had one attack last year but I cant remember how long it stayed and how debilitated I was.  I am in a stressful job now so I don't know if thats making it worse.  Is it just me or does this thing make you feel depressed and how do you cope?  I use to love travelling and now I am scared to incase I get an attack. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In my experience there is still some pain and discomfort even after taking antibiotics. The infection may be gone but the tenderness remains for some time until the healing is complete. During that time stick to a fairly safe diet, avoiding anything with seeds, pips, skins such as tomatoes, grapes, and spicey foods. Try Fybogel once or twice a day to keep up your fibre. I have heard some recommend probiotic tablets from H & B but I have no personal experience of them. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help.  I was beginning to get panicked that it was getting worse.  I couldnt remember how long the pain lasted when it happened before.  I thought the antibiotics cleared the pain away but I suppose its a bit like having a bruise it takes time for the pain to stop sometimes.  I feel quite weak through not eating much.  Where do you get Fybogel?  
    • Posted

Hi Alexandra, I see you mentioned grapes not to have.  Is it because of the peel? This all is so new to me.  Having lots of ups and downs.  Thx. Anna

• Posted

Hi Anna, I used to eat all manner of fruit and veg and wondered why I still had a tender tum. Then I was advised to avoid pips, seeds, nuts, skins and what they call insoluble fibre. Consequently I gave up grapes which have skins and pips. For fruit I have bananas, peeled apples and pears, mango, melon, definitely no berries. I haven't missed grapes.

It's very much trial and error to find what works for you personally. This has worked for me so far. Good luck.

• Posted

You can get Fybogel on prescription and also over the counter at a pharmacy. Get the orange flavoured one. If you qualify for free prescriptions then go that route with your GP. Mine prescribes it with no hassle.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up