One week after Laproscopic Galbladder Removal???

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I had my gallbladder out by laproscopic producedure six days ago. I am in my early 40s and the surgeon said it was in bad shape so the cut was a little bigger then originally planned. I took pain pills for two days as they were making me sick. Days four and five I thought inwas doing better and started driving and going about my daily routine somewhat. It's now day six and I'm in a lot of pain again. Im in pain where my inscions are. I saw the surgeon a few days ago and he said they looked like they were healing nicely. Since the surgery I have been having on and off pain where my gallbladder used to be. I spent today in bed which was good. I have lost weight I can't really afford to lose. My appetite is slow at coming back and I have been waking up with a little bit of nausea. But I guess I don't know what to expect. I was discharged same day of the surgey as I live in the US. Can anybody share experiences they have had with this. I don't know what's normal ans what's not. I have two small kids and while I don't work I still need to be able to watch my kids after school. Please share your experiences. Thanks so much 😄

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had mine out in May and I would say that it took two weeks to feel better and by week 3 I was back to normal. 6 days post up isn't long at all.

• Posted

I had mine done in October of 2015. I was discharged immediately, I swear I was vomiting bile as I was waking up from anesthesia as the nurse was rolling me out to the car . I have taken painkillers stool softeners and recovered fairly quick. I was walking around 3 days later. Pain is normal . It comes and goes. I still feel it once in a while but the body can heal for up to a year post op. I have now gained too much weight lately, that's my only problemsmile. Prior to surgery I lost way too much too fast

You will recover just finesmile

• Posted

I had a lot of pain the first 3 days then felt better so I also went about things more normally and went for a walk etc.  I obviously overdid it as it set me back and the next 2 days I was really sore again.  2 things to really be careful off- lifting things and children, and straining while on the toilet.  Both can affect the healing of your abdominal wall.  I was back to work on day 7 but it would have been better if I had waiting a few more days as I was exhausted after work.  Week 3 I was walking 12 hour days around Disneyland and had no pain.  Hopefully you will feel just fine in another week or two.  Remember- no lifting, no straining!
  • Posted

Hi Specs,

?Just to add,that is normal what you are feeling I had my surgery 5 wks ago 8-2-16

?and I said I would stay on this forum to help anyone that I could. If it  would calm the fears and nerves of what the doctors don't tell us.

?Just keep in mind no heavy lifting try to walk as much as you can and the uncomfortable feeling around the belly button, now everyone is different mine is just now getting to feel what I know as normal. smile

?Best of health to you!

?Deb

• Posted

Thanks so much. How long did appetite take to get back and did any of you have minor come and go back pain. I had an ultrasound after the surgery and it looked good. My surgeon has been very kind. He called after the surgery and knew I was anxious about recovery so has already seen me once and is set to see me again Wednesday. It's comforting to get everyone's responses. 😄

• Posted

Hello Specs!  I'm sorry that you are now among the "gallbladder-less people".  From my experience, it take a while to get back to feeling "normal", but you will, unfortunatly, never be the same.  Not sure why we are/have all been feeling pain, nausea, and other horrible side effects.  The pain where your gallbladder used to be will happen and only last until your wounds are healed.  If at all possible, try to get someone to help take care of your children until you can get back on your feet again without any pain.  If you pain continues or gets worse, you should talk to the surgeon who worked on you or get a referal for a Gastroenterologist.  I pray for a healthy recover for you!  God Bless and just know that I will be thinking about you and you are not alone sweetie!  It may not be much, but I am here!

wink

• Posted

Thanks so much for your kind works. I think the the that is killing me is no appetite. I lost weight before the surgery and now have have no appetite after. I want my appetite back. Have any of you taken any sort of enzymes or supplements after surgery that helped
    • Posted

I am the same after surgery now and so are the majority of the people I have spoken to in my peer group that have had their gallbladders removed.  I can eat anything. Ice cream, pizza, anything!  A lot of people have no ill effects.  My daughter's teacher had hers out 12 years ago and has no issues.  I just wanted to correct your statement about never being the same again because a lot of people really have to ill effects.  Some do as is very obvious by this forum but I just wanted to note that she very well may be one of the ones that is fine down the road.

• Posted

I'm currently on post op day 2 atm, and I'm having a nightmare of a time I have ended up back in hospital after being discharged late yesterday morn and now back in again yest evening as I keep getting pain from where the gall bladder is everytime I empty my bladder or try stand straight or lie down so now needing to go for a scan to check everything out..

I would arrange an appt if it's anything u feel that doesn't feel right to be honest.

Good luck x

• Posted

I have been back. This week My bilirubin level has actually decreased and is lower then ever at .6. My other liver levels are awesome. I had an ultrasound and that too looks great. Blood counts are also awesome. So why do I still have back pain and no appetite. Maybe it's just being a week post op. But I thought I would be better by now

• Posted

Specs

​If it makes you feel better I get a pain every know and then like today it has been off and on.

• Posted

Sounds like you and I are on similar journeys - I had my surgery last Monday.  Tuesday I thought it was all a piece of  cake and I was up and about but I paid for it Wednesday as I didn't feel well at all and stayed in bed all day.  Thurs was a good day and Friday I tried to work (desk job) but after 1/2 day felt so weak I thought I might faint before i could get home.  Have done little all weekend, hoping to work tomorrow.  Appetite comes and goes and have not had nausea since Wed until today. Ate breakfast this morning and immediately felt deathly nauseated with lots of abdominal cramping.  Had just a very small BM and nausea subsided finally.  

I'm really discouraged. I expected to get a little better each day but I feel like I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 back. It also lends itself to anxiety when I keep having these "setbacks" - I like you just don't know what is normal and what to expect.  

• Posted

Hello. I agree. I have good days and bad. I don't work but I can't imagine going back to work and I had the surgery 9/9. I've had good days and bad. The anxiety is the worst. I just have lingering pain where the Galbladder was my cousin is a gastro and says its normal. He also says loss of appetite is normal. For me my pain was initially on my left side. But he says everyone is wired differtly in the abdomen. My BMs are totaly normal now but some people say diaherea can linger for months. I think everyone's aches and pains are different. Also I think it depends on how old you are. A 20 year old is going to recover quicker then a 60 year old. My grandma had this surgery in her early 40s and she just passed away at almost 97! My friends mom is 88 and Id having major Galbladder issues but doctors say she's too old to get it out.

• Posted

Mine was 9/12. I'm really wanting to go to work tomorrow. Today feels like a small setback for me. Perhaps my expectations are too high.  I was hoping to get better with each day but it seems some days don't follow that pattern.  And I think age matters as well- I'm middle aged...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.