One week post-op

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had a couple of days that have been a bit rough but with the help of my Claire and those lovely 'magic smarties' I get from my GP,  I have come through relatively unshaken.

today, I was able to walk out to my kitchen on one stick and get my own cup of tea while Claire was out. Only minor soreness as a result. A small personal victory for me and little less strain on Claire.

due to the swelling, my knee still doesn't quite get straight yet but the bruising is starting to show now so it's only a matter of time.

next target, to fetch my food from the kitchen without sticks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

sounds like you are on the mend. Keep up the physio exercises and you will soon be back to normal. well done.

Richard

• Posted

Well done!  It may be a small thing normally, but after suffering the major trauma that is TKR, it is like climbing Everest to us in the same boat.  Keep on with the exercises and ice packs and you will soon be able to get around the house without stick. Take things steady though - I tried rushing things and that only causes more problems!!

All the best for your recovery.

• Posted

Sounds like good progress. Don't be in too much of a hurry to give up both sticks . You may fall or develop a limp to compensate . I t really is worth taking a bit of time . At 11 weeks now , I can walk up and down stairs properly walk without a stick for a couple of hours before I start to feel I need my stick . I take one naproxen in the morning and some cocodamol evening evening if I need it ....just push through your exercises bending and straightening as much as you can . Keep your leg elevated whenever you are sitting , and ice as much as you can .. Good luck xx

ps I am 67 so pretty pleased with myself 

• Posted

Well done to you , you sound as though you are reaching all your little goals. How are you at night johnros I find this the most testing time. My knee is on fire when I go to bed, tried icing ect every combination of pillows nothing seems to work. I am seven weeks post op and have been walking round the house without aids since I left hospital. I am only taking 4paracetomol per day, Gp reluctant to give me stronger meds as I encountered problems in hospital with the combination og pain killers. So therefore Doc is erring on the side of caution. Problem is with lack of sleep it brings me down and the tears come much to readily. I wish you well in your recovery take care 

• Posted

Tucks , I found once I started taking naproxen which is an anti-imflammotory , I noticed a big difference with the swelling and heat .i know GP worries about stomach problems with this medication or anyregular anti  imflamatory   so I take  lansoprazole to protect ...I really notice a difference if I miss one day ..I think early on the bruising and swelling need to happen , but taking now really helps.it took a couple of days to really kick in . But worth a try . Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi pam I used to take naproxin before the op, but hospital wouldn't give them to me because of problems you touch in I take an omerperole each morning to keep ulcers at bay. I. Am sure I would benefit from the naproxin again. Have to see GP tomorrow and I shall request them again. How many weeks are you pam.? And how is your sleeping and general demeanour?. I am still so weepy and feel I have the world on my shoulders, especially at night. Thanks for the info and take care x
    • Posted

I had mine done July 9th to around 11 weeks I think .. Same problem fir me with naproxen I am just  taking one 375. In the morning . It is a coated one to stop irritation ... It's worth a try x
  • Posted

Well done, Johnros! Don't push yourself too much though. It's still very early days for you yet. I used 2 crutches for a few weeks. You may well find you get very tired too so rest when you can. Don't forget the exercises though. I think It's really worth doing those early ones. Take care.

jen 

• Posted

hi Jennifer,

dont worry, I only try what I feel comfortable doing and always err on the side of caution. When I was discharged, I was offered a porter to take me out to the car and refused because I felt good. This came back and bit me because I was sore and awake most of that night.

fed up with me tossing and turning, Claire enforced rest for two days until the swelling reduced.

as you can see, even if I got cocky, I would still be " under orders". 😊

• Posted

I refuse to be the first one to get smutty lol 
  • Posted

hi 

couyld you let me know the official name of your "magic smarties"

as I could do with some - I presume they are some kind of pain killer

as I have gone down the synvisc knee injection route and as I am now back to normail (no pain) have started doing too much too soon as a result in some discomfort

kind regards

jude

• Posted

Hi Jude,

i'm taking Zapain which is 30/500mg Co-codamol, 800 mg Ibuprofen and, at night to help me, Tapentodol because I have bad problems with Tramadol.

your GP will probably be happy to give the Zapain and Ibuprofen but the Tapentodol may be more difficult.

• Posted

careful there dont over do things , i did and had to rest for a couple of days , its a long time healing , your poor knee really has been through the mill , but good for you , i remember doing things each day that i noticed were improving , nice feeling , but do thak care and good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.