One week post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone.

im now one week post TKR and I'm not sure how I should be sitting.  Do I sit upright with my feet to the floor?  Or do I put my foot up in front of me?

ive rad the leaflets and it mentions raising your leg but doesn't go into detail.

so far, I've sat most of the time with my foot up - doing exercises, icing, etc - and just walking about for a  few minutes once an hour.  However, this feels lazy and my leg is uncomfortable up but I'm not sure what to do as it's also uncomfortable when down!

advice would be appreciated!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

However you feel comfortable. The more you put it dow the better it will be for movements. Just alternate. No such word as Lazy after this surgery. You seems to be doing great. 
  • Posted

Susan, I mainly sat on my bed (my sofa was too low to the ground, and I had a bilateral TKR). I found it easy to continuously (while reading or on my laptop) to flex and lift. I've been surprised by the number of people who struggle with being about to completely straighten their knee, because it never dawned on me that that could be a problem. And for me, it never was. I'm going to credit most of that to sitting with my legs stretched out. And I have a really good bend because I would hang them off the side of the bed, plant them on the floor and lean into it, repeating and moving my feet further under me, allowing for a greater bend. I also had regular PT, which also helped. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi.  I have problems with both bend and straight!  Thanks for the tips though - certainly wouldn't be able to hang my legs off the edge of the bed  at all and leg is like a dead weight so unable to lift, though I do flex and do the exercises I was given.
    • Posted

Ha, you are right. Not sure what I was thinking. That's why I didn't sit on the sofa. In fact, initially, any time I moved off my bed I had to put braces on my legs to keep them straight, until the physical therapy started. So, once they start getting you to bend...
  • Posted

Hi susan

i am now 4 weeks.

i had problems with swelling of leg and foot, which made me keep my foot up but also laying flat on my day bed pretty much for the first 2 weeks.

but constantly drinking water (to hydrate) I considered going to the toilet a welcome break, taking the longest route around the house - lol.

doing your excercises and taking your painkillers and not sleeping through the night,    Napping on and off is what your body will be asking for.

i have always been very active through the day, but you have to accept ( time out) for a while. 

You are are early days, listen to your body, you will notice what works for you, I couldn't have done without reading and posting on here, especially in the middle of the night.!!

keep positive

sue x 

• Posted

Hi sue, not only do we share the same name, but what you list, you could be me!!  Thank you
    • Posted

Hi susan,

there will be many questions as days and nights go by, as you are in your first week, one of the things I wished I had thought about was that I felt very cold although the heating was on.

in hospital they had given me a hot water bottle,    I had forgotten and instead slept in a fleece but I was still cold.  

If if you suffer at all, if you are on blood thinners, try the hot water bottle at bedtime, or anytime in the night ! 😊 

sue x 

• Posted

Elevate...keep straight as much as possible when not exercising.  Don't put a pillow under your knee.

patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012 2nd TKR Sept 2914

• Posted

thank you - must admit it's sometimtes tempting to put a pillow under my knee, but on a couple of occasions when I have tried to get it comfy I've put a long one under the whole leg - would this be wrong to do?
    • Posted

That is the best way to use a pillow with the whole leg on the pillow.  It is a big no no to just put it under your knee due to risk of clots. It also elevates you knee encouring less swelling.
  • Posted

Elevate whenever possible. With your feet down your heart has to work harder to get the blood flowing. Did they put the 6 week white surgical hose on immediately a free surgery? They are to prevent blood clots and elevating helps with that also. I have been told by docs and therapists that the two most dangerous things with this surgery are staph and blood clots. I've been fighting the staph but fortunately never the clots. Icing is also part of the blood flow as well. Icing keeps the swelling under control thus allowing better flow. Just don't cross your legs or put a pillow under the knee So that the leg bends over the pillow and cuts off circulation. If you use a pillow, make sure it's from hip to calf or ankle. The big thing, get to a place where you can rest
    • Posted

Hi ofg.  Apologies if this appears twice, but I just replied and it disappeared!

your explanation is the best one I have been given, and it makes sense about the heart when you think about it.  A couple of times I have put a long pillow under my whole leg, but I Also put it under my foot - is that wrong?

and I was given the choice about having stockings - I had an hysterectomy last year and they were awful so I couldn't imagine them over the top of a swollen leg too!

• Posted

That's perfect for the pillow. You are lucky they give you a choice. With my docs there is no discussion. I'm allowed to take them off at night but anytime I might be up they are on. Its the heat that I find most bothersome. This last time I had both the socks and an immobilizer on. The socks went but now, almost 3 months later I still have the immobilizer and will till the next surgery, June 25.
    • Posted

I feel for you - with all the other problems, the last thing you need are those. I don't know if it was to do with my age (49) or the hospital I was in, or even the surgeon, as the nurse told me that some surgeons believe in them, others don't.
    • Posted

The patient in the room I shared told me his mom had had to wear them. It came up because my feet were chilled so I put on socks I brought and the nurce made me take them off - they only came to my ankles. Apparently my surgeon doesn't agree with the use of the stockings so I wasn't given any. But his co-worker wants his patients to wear them. Go figure. Once I understood what they were talking about, I was very glad I didn't get to wear them.
    • Posted

Some nurses think they are dictators!  If they were at all tight around the ankles, I can understand that perhaps it would not have permitted a good circulation, but mine were big, soft bed socks. . lovely and soft, and very comforting.  My heels on the second day were already beginning to feel sore!
    • Posted

I only had one stocking on the left leg the right TKR was kept free. Hopsital rules again.   I did have two lots of DVT meds as I got cellulitis and the pain and swelling stopped me from exercising for the first couple of weeks which I blame for my knee not be able to straighten as I would like.  Don't forget to put a towel upon the leg before placing the ice pack on it as the ice can burn your skin. At 2/3 weeks I also got the chills of a night about 6ish and couldn't seem to get warm at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.