One week post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone.

im now one week post TKR and I'm not sure how I should be sitting.  Do I sit upright with my feet to the floor?  Or do I put my foot up in front of me?

ive rad the leaflets and it mentions raising your leg but doesn't go into detail.

so far, I've sat most of the time with my foot up - doing exercises, icing, etc - and just walking about for a  few minutes once an hour.  However, this feels lazy and my leg is uncomfortable up but I'm not sure what to do as it's also uncomfortable when down!

advice would be appreciated!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

During my PT, I was told to sit upright with back straight and knee up just higher than my seat.  It is painful, but necessary to get the range of motion back.  Sit this way for 10 minutes at a time 2 times an hour.  I was told to keep the knee absolutely as straight as possible, and to make it stay that way, place a full ice pack or something of equal weight on the knee.  Ice pack is the best because it also helps with pain and swelling.  It is HARD!!!eek But it does help you get back that straight extension you want when the PT is over.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Shirley.  That's another problem- pain often makes me faint or sick!  Don't get me wrong, I will be trying and trying ... And trying!
  • Posted

It's strange how this seems to vary . . I was always ticked off in the hospital if I sat with the leg straight, and they wanted me to sit with it as bent as possible. . which was very uncomfortable, I must say!  of course, when I was in bed it was straight. . .and when sitting out in the chair as bent as possible. . .  Once I got home I alternated . . sometimes it was up on a nice soft pouffe, and sometimes bent . . . I did use a pillow between legs when sleeping . .from the hip down to the foot so when I was on my back it was straight. . but I don't seem to stay on my back for long at night!
    • Posted

I can't imagine anything but being on my back while sleeping at the moment .... and I hate it!!!
    • Posted

Odd. I don't remember anyone complaining about my keeping it straight. And I don't even recall being able to try to bend it. When they would have me walk, I had to wear braces on both legs (bilateral TKR). It was hell going to the toilet!
    • Posted

True, Susan. But my heels were getting soar from always being pressed on the mattress. I would even have to spread my feet wide enough to hang off the edge of the bed to bring relief to my heels. Oh the things we do to find a moment of comfort. In the hospital as I tried to go onto my side (my normal sleeping position), it was so painful. But my bottom needed a break too. Ha! I'm sure I'm giving everyone some interesting visuals.
    • Posted

Ah, but we don't need to imagine it!  We;ve all been there! (well, not a bilateral, I must admit. that must be truly terrible!!!)
  • Posted

I had some VERY thick, soft sock which I wore in bed, and that avoided the pain on the heel . . it was very effective!
  • Posted

Hi, my physio and nursing team were absolutely adamant - keep your feet up and leg straight as much as possible, no matter how uncomfortable, but do something with your knee every hour, ie swing legs 10 times, massage, stand up, etc, etc. Rest Ice Elevate and don't forget water and meds.
  • Posted

Physios should give you advice on this. I think the main thing is not to sit with it in the same position for any length of time.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.