One Year TKR Checkup

Posted , 11 users are following.

OK...so it's really over 13 months but the guy was busy...lots of "installation" work on his plate.

From the Doc:

- Perfect ROM ( 0 / +135 ).  Told him I wanted 140; he was skeptical that the number could be attained with the artificial joint.  Guess I'll never sit back on my heels again (that's 161).

- Perfect alignment, no wobbles, scar healed.

- Cautions: No running, treadmills (elliptical only), skiing, HOCKEY (no kidding).  Stay away from anything that causes impact to the knee...like twisting, jumping and landing hard playing basketball.  I posted a list previously...he concurred.

- Clicking, popping clunking...  Bad news campers...probably permanent.  His exact words: "What do you expect?  It's metal on plastic!".  It may quiet down but I don't expect it to...neither should you.  Small price to pay for walking without pain.

- Not happy with my quads but understood the condition because of my stenosis midway through the recovery plus the recent spine surgery.  Told me to hit the gym as soon as I get clearance from the neurosurgeon.  

- Looking forward to seeing me again as soon as I need the other one replaced...I'm not...but it is inevitable...

From me...

Most of you know that I've had 28 surgeries (mostly minor) in the past 17 years including a hip replacement and back fusion.  The knee was the absolute worst in terms of pain and recovery time.  If you've gotten past the year mark, you can look back and remember the times you thought you'd never survive it, begged for the pain to stop, wanted to kill your PT sadist, wonder if you would ever be whole again.  Guess what?

You CAN'T be whole again!  Your original knee is gone, goodbye.  But what you have in your body is a miracle of science that will allow you to live a decent life again, one with new horizons, new challenges, new skills to master...one without pain.  It takes a long time to get here...like a whole year.  Expect it...if you do it quicker then count your blessings.  Most of us really struggle with this but find strength we didn't know we had. 

For me, I still have all that rehab work to do in the gym once I get past the spine issues.  Get to the gym and kick some serious a$$... I'm getting anxious to start again...another month should do it.  Targeting September for a full recovery.  Who knows...maybe a gentle glide on some new blades...

Keep the faith, brothers and sisters.  We live to fight another day!!!

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations - at least you can bend your knee without pain. J21370
  • Posted

but we are allowed to walk on a treadmill, right?
    • Posted

He'd prefer the elliptical...no impact.  If you walk, it's gotta be slow...no jogging or running. The main point is to avoid ANY activity that involves impact on and/or twisting/torquing of the knee.  Personally, I'm looking forward to cutthroat shuffleboard...

• Posted

So Chico I'm walking about a 17 minute mile and do about 3-5 miles 3+ times a week. Do you think that's slow enough? There's no real impact and it's a decent stride for me . I'm 1 1/2 years out. I also do an outside exercise class and any exercise too difficult is modified for me. I love it and would hate to give that up. But I absolutely don't want to go thru tkr again.

Mary Ann

• Posted

Well done Chico:-))))  Good to hear how you are a year on too!  I was told walking on treadmill is fine (my physio said 'why not - the joint is weight bearing?) and when I said I was planning on going on the eliptical after the other knee is done his eyes almost popped out of his head - he was SO impressed LOL!  And said that would be fine too LOL!  I find the treadmill very good for lengthening and speeding stride up gently.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

My surgeon told me I could do aquatone from 8 weeks but I left  until 12 weeks as had huge issue with swelling 1st 10 weeks. 

He told me no jumping even in water on a sprung floor. I too just adapt the exercises but I do find it beneficial. 

Pre-op aqatone and pool exercises helped too. The work is so important.

• Posted

When I had my left knee done 19½ years ago my surgeon told me never to go jogging or any activity which would cause impact to the knee joint , the physio informed me that the operation would be a complete waste of time if I didn't do the required physio .  I took their advice and now almost 20 years on for my left and almost 18 for the right knee I am pain free and have great mobility , it is worth the effort , no point in having the surgery and not doing the work after to make it worthwhile .

• Posted

Absolutely.  Had my hip replaced in '09 and asked the doc 2 weeks later when I could resume playing hockey.  He told me that if I played again, the hip would last 3 years...if I quit, 25.  No brainer.  Yeah, it's tough to give up activities that you've loved for so long but the REALITY is that you have to.  The consequences of a bad decision will be very, very painful.

• Posted

I SO agree.  When I met my surgeon I said I realised how important it was for me to do my part, as well as him doing his, so did those exercises before the op and after - this is something that's so important for people to realise.  This operation isn't a gift that's handed to you - it's something you have to work for as well, in partnership with the surgeon!!!!!

• Posted

Nice post Chico! You will be in the gym in no time . Had question . When he said no treadmill eliptical only .Walking on a treadmill is not good to do ? I did the elliptical the other day and it seems that you put a good amount of push on the knee . Haven't done it again .I am babying too much I think .

Your thoughts ? Thank you !

Debbie

• Posted

How long is it since your TKR Debbie?  Just wondering when I might be able to try the eliptical after my other knee is done:-)  Walking on a treadmill is fine - it's jogging you mustn't do.  Make sure you walk properly on it - heels then soles etc.

• Posted

Will be one year May 19 PKR.

Cannot believe how the year flew.

I have been walking and wanting to try the elliptical but nervous to go all out .

I also have been doing a Barre class which I am in love with . I hope that's ok . It's a great workout leaves me breathing hard which I miss from being a runner . ( ex now). I so need to sweat to get the heart going . I just feel better physically and mentally BUT don't want do anything to shorten lifespan of knee . My other knee is not perfect either but not a candidate for surgery at this point and actually seems better as I strengthen the quads.

I leave tomorrow for vacation for 10 days and want to walk a lot every day . Love the great help/ advice from everyone.

Debbie

• Posted

Yes it is a cross trainer but to me it feels your putting more pressure on the knee joint than with walking
    • Posted

I don't know enough about the Barre class - but does it involve twisting the knee with pressure on it?  My Physio told me I could try the eliptical at 6 weeks.  But with the other knee how it is, I've got to wait until the other one is done. I'll see how I feel at 6 weeks post op then LOL!  Yes, if you can improve your other knee to put of replacement, that sounds good!  Do enjoy your holiday:-)))))

• Posted

I think you're right Debbie - this is why I can't do it with arthritic knees - not a hope - I did try ONCE!  But it's not jolting the knee, so that's why they said I could do it and it wouldn't hurt the knee, but I wouldn't rush into it - I'd want to feel I was doing the recumbent bike very easily before doing the eliptical.

• Posted

Thank you Chris ! I'll have my 7 month old grandson and 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter with me and of course the parents , main reason I got the knee done was to be able to freely enjoy them . The plan worked . This will be first vacation with the new knee 😂. It's a tough road but so worth it .

I will pay closer attention to see about the twisting with the Barre . It's more combination of like light weights , some ballerina type moves( thus the name Barre), and mild dance moves with no movement and then floor work . It's really great .

Take care !

Debbie xo

• Posted

Yes love the bike ! When I do my bike at home I also do free weights at same time . My bike sits more upright so it's easy to do .

• Posted

What a brilliant idea!!!!  I could do that on the recumbent, I think!  Will have to give it a try!!!!!  Thank you for mentioning that!:-))))
    • Posted

I would love to see all of us post the exercises we do - what's good, what hurts and not to do - so that it gives us a variety of safe things to do. When I read up on exercises that work different parts of body, they never include modifications which bothers me. I'm beyond the burpee-as it is, it takes me 5 minutes to get from standing to sitting position! I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Thanks for all this input and happy workout to all !

• Posted

Basically to start with I just did straight leg raises and heel slides on bed and from chair, then went on to doing heel slides on recliner every evening and recumbent bike from just under three weeks and treadmill (walking) from about four and a half, but I started recumbent and treadmill doing absolute minimum and building up - at 8 weeks still only doing 9 or 10 minutes on treadmill and about 10 circuits on recumbent.  I concentrated very much on the bend rather than strength.  Still doing bend every evening for between and hour or two, and currently at 133 - 135.  A lot of exercises will have to wait until my other knee is done:-)
    • Posted

And for those of us who are a year + out with basically no issues, other than the usual getting used to an artificial knee....here's what I'm doing:

Walking - around a 17+ minute mile pace and about 3-5 miles / 2-3 X a week.

Lots of upper body workouts with weights.  There is so much on Youtube that you can pick any type of exercise and get anywhere from a 10 minute workout to 30+ minutes.  I use a Kettle bell - lots of beginner videos for those unfamiliar with them....and it's a good workout with NO impact

Youtube also offers videos on low impact or stretching exercises to regain flexibility.

I take a class which is done outside and it is awesome - sort of like a version of crossfit (no I don't do anything extreme).  Instructor modifies any exercise for me that would require strain on the knee:

if class sprints down the road, I walk with long strides - or  lunge.  If class is doing a standing jump up to bench, I lift each leg and tap bench.  Planks instead of bear crawls or burpees.  I can do anything upper body that everyone else is doing, just with less weight and not as fast (as we are timed) - this 67 year old body is working along side 30 years olds!

And since I'm retired....I give myself any day off that I want.

These are some ways I try to keep active....if anyone else is successful with other exercises, please share.

Mary Ann

Life goes on.....

• Posted

This is inspirational!  FANTASTIC - love it!:-))))))  Well done - you are an encouragement to all of us!  Age really is just a number now:-)))
    • Posted

FANTASTIC M A!!!!!  Just stay away from the impact.  Love youzeguyz....
    • Posted

I am 20 weeks soon.  Still working on extension bend good. I am not planning  the gymn due to other joint probsas advised by Doctor.

Doing static bike,band resistence and ankle weight curls and lateral leg lifts etc at home .Do pool exercies with worm and kick board and attendong aquatone twice a week. I am hoping this will gradually strenghten. 

• Posted

Thats brilliant Mary Ann. I cant wait to 12/12s on!!  I am 20 weeeks soon like you i adapt my aquatone class no junping/twisting. 
    • Posted

That sounds REALLY good Jan!  I'm keen to be doing more and more now.  I can get 135 on a bend at a push but would like to increase it more.  I'm eight and a half weeks now so what's the chance of getting 140 - anyone know???????  If it will go to 135 at a push, will it become easier as time goes on to do the 135 as well, so that just feels like a normal bend rather than pushing it so much?????  I'm reckoning the other leg is about 140, so would like to get to that if it's feasible.

• Posted

You have done great at 8.5 weeks !!!!  Yes I suspect you might get more bend as tiem gors on I did. My physio also told me that it gets better as you become more mobile and once obtained ROM do the exwecises 3 times a week. I still do my ROM exercises every day though so scared of going backwards!!

I am at 125-130 + bend and am quite happy with this but if i get more great.Still working on extension as per my othe posts but thats going to be along road. I think Chicos surgeon told him most fexon obtainable would be 135+ due to prosthesis. I would ask your surgeon.

I think ROM is individaul depending on pre-op state, prosthesis, op and other problems. 

Even with aquatone etc its going to take more than a year to build my quads up. Im finding the lateral and medial muscles the worse but  was able to ldo lateral raises from day one. 

Feeling the other knee now so now started to try and strenghten that too!!  It sort of has to take over your life but I do try and do other things. The worse thing for me is feeling sooooo drained after work but push on.

Happy reahb and have a lovely  Bank Holiday weekend. Jan

• Posted

Thanks so much for that reply Jan.  Yes, I'm terrified of going backwards too!  It's a good point about asking the surgeon how much bend is possible with the knee!  I've just made a note to do that!

Yes, I was able to do lateral lifts really well from day 1, but that was one of the exercises they gave us to do before the op.  Yes, I'm working on the other knee too, ready for that to be done:-)))  I feel very lucky that I don't have to go to work like you do, and cope with exercises etc. and feeling tired.  To be honest I really enjoyed the rest I had after the op.  I never slept during the day from coming home from hospital, so tended to sleep better at night, but I did rest for most of the day and felt good for it!  I hope you'll feel better before long, going to work.  Good luck with your rehab too, and do enjoy the holiday!

Time, I think, to get on my bike and treadmill!:-)))))

• Posted

The only way not to go backwards is to make exercise a daily activity...not "OK, I'm better, now I can stop".  This is a lifelong recovery...gotta keep moving or you die...period.  After the ROM, after the intense strengthening exercises, find something you like to do and make it a part of your daily life.  Walking, biking, professional Roller Derby...something simple.  Burn calories, keep your blood flowing...just stay active or you die...wait...I already said that...  I'm lucky that my daughter is a professional trainer and she keeps me motivated.  A FitBit or some other tracking device can help with the motivation too.  Think about it...

• Posted

Yes, I've got the will and the equipment to do exercise every day to get fitter and fitter Chico, but didn't know if you've got to keep pushing the ROM to maintain it, or if normal exercise will keep it once it's achieved?:-)  I've got plenty of motivation:-)))))

• Posted

Once you have the scar tissue broken down and keep it that way a while, I think you're free and clear on the ROM side.  The problem is keeping the leg strength up to support the knee.  All those muscles must be in tip-top shape...forever.  That's the ongoing part.

• Posted

But what a joy to be able to get those muscles in tip-top shape!  What a wonderful opportunity to be really fit and strong!
    • Posted

Got to agree with you , it's almost 20 years since my left knee and 18 for the right , and I still keep moving . Have never been a fitness fanatic , but still think it is so important to excercise the knees . Physio after the op to get great movement , and continue after to keep it .

• Posted

Thank you Chico!  I've got to wait to get the other knee done for some of this but I'm doing what I can in the meantime!  Pre-op appointment for second knee is 15th May - nearly there!

• Posted

Totally agree.  Keep working on the ROM for #1; you won't be able to get deep into exercising until you're maybe 6 months past #2.  I had to put my exercising on hold at 7 months when I got stenosis at L2/L3.  Had the surgery a month ago; still on exercise restrictions until the back heals from the LLIF.  Also still too much nerve pain.  When that's gone, it's full-time gym work.  Been 18 months since I really used my legs.  Enough is enough.  Like David just said, it's important to exercise the knees and keep after it.  Except for knee #2 in a few years, I NEVER WANT TO SEE A SURGEON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Yep, will do.  I'm doing the recumbent bike and treadmill (walking) too so I can be reasonably fit for the next one and muscles will be in the best condition possible - the straight leg raises are good for both legs at this point:-))))  And working on bend on both too:-))))    I can SO understand you feeling you've had enough surgery for the moment!:-)))))  But we are SO lucky to have these opportunities!  It's like a second chance of life!

• Posted

Absolutely.  I have one knee, one hip and a fused back (4 1/2 pounds of metal).  If it wasn't for the technology, I'd be confined to a wheelchair and be on permanent pain meds.  The same for all of us.  Yes...no more hockey, running, etc. but there's more to life than your old life.  Just gotta put the past in its place and look for new opportunities...learn new skills...  At 69, I still work full time in IT plus play blues bass on weekends.  Not bad considering 28 ops in 17 years...

• Posted

I like that statement: there's more to life than your old life.

Change is good and as I've read many times before : nothing changes unless something changes

• Posted

The only constant in this world is that everything changes.  If you sit around whining for your old life, you're just taking up oxygen.  Finish the rehab and move on.  You never know what's around the next corner...could be an oncoming bus and you're done...OR...it could be the love of your life.  I turned that corner and found mine when we were both 61 (that's her pic at 61...four great-grandkids)...we're now 69 and she's still the most gorgeous woman on the planet.  

• Posted

You are so right.....you do have a gorgeous wife!!  Well, cheers to the weekend, good health and looking forward to tomorrow.  *glass clink with my g&t on a beautiful sunny Saturday evening!  

• Posted

She IS gorgeous Chico.  Yes, you have to appreciate your life and make the best of it!!!!
    • Posted

Chico, can you tell us how to post a photo on here?  I'm just thinking it might be useful if someone has a scar or something they're worried about, but that's if they can get it big enough to get enough detail in?  I never realised you could even post photos!

• Posted

When you post, look in the upper right corner of the box.  There are four icons:

- Bold... highlight text (click and drag), let go and press the button

- Italics... same thing but you get italicized text

- Smiley... click the box and insert a smiley...eek

- Picture... click the box and select a picture from any folder on your computer

So after 46 years in IT, I'm still doing tech support...geez...  Hope this helps...

• Posted

Yes...God smiled on me big time.  My first wife (high school love) died at age 34 from breast cancer; daughter was 5.  Divorced from #2 after 25 years of marriage...should have been over by 10.  But I got two incredible sons.  The decision to walk away from a relationship is not an easy one, but here, it was so obvious how unhappy we both were.  This was a chance for each of us to find some joy again.  Met Sage by mistake; she found her Richard the same way.  Now we both lead happier lives.

Then I see people who stay together and are completely miserable...they wear their unhappiness like a shroud. And then there are those who lose a long-time partner and live the rest of their lives in the same house surrounded by all those memories.  It becomes a shrine to death.

So with Susan, I had no choice...had to raise a child...you can't hide from life.  With Claire, I just couldn't live under the shroud.  Sometimes you have to make very tough choices.  They work or they don't.  If they don't, you try again.  Really...what other option is there?  Same with our knees.  Sit there and rot or get on with your life.  There are so many things for us to discover out there if we only give ourselves the chance.

For me, I got on a plane and flew 2,000 miles to meet Sage.  Best ticket I ever bought...

• Posted

cheesygrin  Thank you Chico LOL!  Now I have to admit I hadn't noticed those bits at the top right of the box LOL!  redface

• Posted

Aaaahhh:-))))  That is so lovely:-)))  And now, especially when you've got the other knee done, you'll be able to do so much together!:-)))))

• Posted

True but she won't remember much of what we do.  We were married in February of '10...six months later she was in an OR for brain aneurysm surgery.  If they hadn't caught it by mistake (looking for a hearing problem), the doc said she would have been dead in 30 days.  If we hadn't met, she would have been dead all the same. God brought us together across all that distance so I could save her life.  She's not who she was but I've come to love who she is now.

The worst part if brain surgery is the inevitable depression and that is NOT who she was.  Memory loss, aphasia, two TIAs, right side weakness, and more.  Almost seven years of drugs, therapies and hospital emergencies, and more.  But she's very stable now and has been a lot happier recently.  Got 95% of her speech back.  But nothing could kill the incredible light in her soul...and now it's coming out again.  Four and a half years of taking care of Susan before she died prepared me for the almost seven years I've spent as Sage's caregiver.  God gave me that training...and then He gave me the love of my life.  Yes...very difficult, especially with all of my physical issues.  But I wouldn't trade it for anything else.  I've got Sage in my life for as long as we're here...together.

• Posted

She was a psychiatric nurse working in state mental hospitals for 30 years.  She called them "her lost souls".  People who have been locked away since their 20's from having a schizophrenic break, others were institutionalized after severe brain trauma accidents.  These are all the people we "normals" don't want to see on the streets or in our homes.  They are the outcasts, modern day lepers. And she treated them with empathy, kindness and love all her life.  How could I not be attracted to that kind of lighted soul?  

Unfortunately, she had to retire after the brain surgery...part of her depression was because she still wants to do what she considers to be her life's work.  Now that God has given her a second chance at life, she has to get past the disappointment and find a new way to make a difference in people's lives.  This is her biggest challenge...one that I think she may finally be ready to face...and conquer.  I can't wait to see what her new life will be like!!!

• Posted

She's one in a million Chico.  What a truly wonderful person she is.  I'm SURE she'll find a way of making that difference again.  And it may well be something that gets others doing the same:-))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.