online tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I know they are not a substitute for a real diagnosis (so don't shout at me, I'm not an idiot) but they all keep giving me the same answers...bipolar bipolar bipolar. 

I just did one for cyclothymia and that was positive but it also said my answers indicate a possible bipolar disorder as well.

If anyone has read other posts of mine they will know that I have been wondering if I might have more than unipolar depression....but that is all I've ever been treated for. 

I'm feeling so utterly lost right now. I have no life. I can't seem to get my act together. I have just had one/two weeks of being 'elevated' etc and then I crashed the other day. I'm not completely at a bottomless low right now, but it's not good. I'm crying or on the verge of crying most of the time. I stupidly stupidly thought everything was suddenly going to be ok, but now I've come back down with a bump and it's destroying me right now. I'm crying typing this. I just want some 'normality' but I can't seem to stabilise. I've only had one psychology appointment so far but that is meant to be for my fibro. I see her again this week coming. What should I do?? Do I come straight out and tell her what I think???

I just want an answer. I'm so tired of all of this. I can't make any definite plans for my life because when I do try to make them, I end up changing moods and it all falls apart. Please help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you. Go to your Appointment and tell her everything. If it's unipolar, antidepressants will help. If you turn manic on antidepressants, it's bipolar 

• Posted

hi, thanks for your reply. anti-depressants don't help me in the slightest, I'm still unstable on them, but all over the place. I seem to react differently to each one. And they just make me feel ill. I never want to take another anti-depressant ever. I know they do help people but I don't seem to be able to tolerate them.

• Posted

Tell the psychologist everything that's been going on. Make some notes got yourself before the appointment, so you don't forget anything. Be prepared to accept a less than satisfactory resilt as it takes a few meetings to arrive at a diagnosis. But press the psychologist for some real help, which may be an apointment with a psychiatrist.

I'm bipolar and it took a team effort to get better; a psychiatrist for meds, a psychologist for counseling and therapy, and family and friends for support.

Good luck

• Posted

hi doug, thank you. I'm so incredibly tired of talking. I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of trying and trying and trying and just being knocked back every time.I'm about to turn 42. My 17 year old daughter has moved in with her dad and i'm terrified i'll lose my son too. i've just had a complete breakdown in front of him. an 11 year old shouldn't have to deal with that. How can i have gone from applying for jobs and believing everything was going to be fine (when nothing had actually changed) to being like this again. This time has really crushed me because there has been no 'transition'. I've gone from straight up (no depression or 'thoughts' at all anymore) to straight back down again quite literally overnight. I can't go through this again

• Posted

Before I entered the mental health system and was diagnosed as bipolar, my primary care doctor thought I severe depression, and prescribed an anti-depressant, which immediately kicked off a mania. Luckily the doctor also gave me a referral to a psychiatrist, who told me that people with bipolar who take anti-depressants, very frequently go into a manic phase unless they also take a mood stabilizer. Luckily my manic phase was hypomania and not a full blown manic state. Maybe your reactions to the anti-depressants might indicate you may be bipolar also.
    • Posted

i just saw this after i replied. Well i don't think i get manic on them, not as such. i dont know. however i do know mirtazapine which is an snri made me feel way more up than my circumstances should have allowed and my anxiety went through the roof. i got myself in a complete mind loop for months, which was one of the worst things i have ever experienced. i seem to get more depressed on antidepressants if anything. or at least they don't help the depression. and my anxiety is always up and down too on them. i have not stabilised on any of the ones i've tried. which isn't nearly as many as some people, but my body does not react well to them either, so i'm sick of them. i'm not on any just now and the 'up' phase i just experienced was actually having just weaned off cymbalta (which was a nightmare to be on for me).

• Posted

Hi. I certainly remember what it was like, being there myself. What I suggest is to keep a record of your moods so that the doctor can have an idea of the frequency and severity. I would try to get an appointment sooner. I have bipolar 1. Lithium, epilim and seroquel help me. Everyone is different as far as meds go. Just be super honest, tell her everything and never hide what you are feeling. Big huge hug
    • Posted

thank you mel,

The 'laughable' thing is I already had to re-arrange...I should have seen her last week, but I had got myself a job interview for that day (from a bunch of jobs I had suddenly decided I was ready to apply for rolleyes)...but come that day I was in no state to go to the interview! In fact I'm in no state to hold down any sort of a job right now due both to fibro/fatigue and my mental health. I haven't been for three years! There is a good example of the complete change in thinking (and everything) I had been experiencing. So I'm going to have to explain to her about why I cancelled on her last week, that will probably be a good starting point...redface

• Posted

I do understand. A part of bipolar is to have grandiose ideas... It seems to me, that you could be experiencing this. I do feel for you. Just try to keep positive and there will be an answer

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up