Only 5 weeks after TKR but when does meds/exercises end?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Oh dear, very sorry to sound negative, but my TKR was 5 weeks ago and I feel like I'm not progressing as well as I should be and I'm due to return to my Part time admin job in the 2nd week of December! Saw physio last Saturday and my bend was only 80' and threatened with manual manipulation if it doesn't improve by the 4th December! I am doing regular exercises but I don't like loading myself up with tons of paracetmol, Ibruphen etc but no choice I guess. I also feel so dreadfully exhausted which is probably due to lack of sleep at night due to my painfull knee! When does the regime of exercise, icing and pain killer consumption end please as at the moment I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel?!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 9 and 5 weeks post 2 TKR.  Paracetamol and ibuprofen were not nearly enough pain relief for me at 5 weeks. I was taking panadeine forte  4 times a day. Panadeine forte is the same as cocodamol 500:30. In the first 3 weeks I was taking endone. By doing that I could exercise well and acheive a reasonable bend. My bend is now 110-120 deg. The pain killers also helped me sleep, sometimes. Tkr is major operation that takes a long time to recover from. I am planning on going back to work in February but I am a nurse and on my feet all day. I am working very hard to build my strength up. Sorry to be a bit negative but I think you are being a wee bit unrealistic about how quickly you are going to get over this.
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra for the information about the pain killers as I was only given some paracetmol to take home and some blood thinning medication. I decided to take the Ibruphen as well as the Paracetmol myself, but you're right, it doesn't do much to block the pain! In hospital I was given all sorts of medication, including sleeping pills, so I think I'll have to visit my GP to get something stronger before I go nuts!
    • Posted

My friends convinced me that I should ask for stronger painkillers, and it has really helped to have them. I hate taking them but I figure it's not for too long and the alternative is terrible.
  • Posted

Hi Glenda.  Everyone is different (and every knee is different).  It will probably be 3 months before you start not thinking about it all of the time and I found it best to only take painkillers when really bad (and not to overdo it with walking) as that can put you back.  Make sure that you have a memory foam mattress topper and use a pillow to support or buffer your knee (it will get easier).  Don't try to be too ambitious and be realistic about what you really can or can't do at this stage but set yourself future targets.  I went back to work after 6 weeks both times, but I'm lucky that I work at home.  I made it clear that I couldn't sit at the desk for long periods and that I wasn't going to drive to any meetings for the first month.

I had to have my first knee manipulated under general anaesthetic after 5 months, so it is important to keep moving.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice as much appreciated and I'll do my best to avoid the knee manipulation as it doesn't sound pleasant!cry
    • Posted

I agree about the pillows and   mattress. I have found with painkillers though it has been important to take them regularly without exceeding the recommended dose. It makes the exercises much more doable. I am doing the maximum exercises recommended and pushing myself with walking to get fitter and get back to work. I dont have a sedentary job. I have a good bend, 110-120deg which I think is due to my exercise regime. Which has been possible with painkillers.

I am interested in why you had to hsve a manipulation at 5 months. Did you have good bend and did it then deteriorate? Was it because you needed wouldexercise more and couldnt because of pain? I wou find it really 

• Posted

Sorry, I touched the wrong part of the screen before I finished typing!! I would find it very discouraging to have a manipulation st 5 months especially if things had been going well to start with. Do you think you overdid it, and that made it necessary to have a manipulation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.