Oops! Pressure on foot

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am five and a half weeks post bilateral MIS surgery for removal of bunions and correction of hammer toe on one foot. I have been nervous all of the time about putting down foot by mistake and this morning it happened. Getting back into bed after early morning loo stop, I removed one shoe, swung up leg onto the bed, loosened the other and then found myself putting the trailing foot on the floor with pressure ! Why?  I am so disappointed with myself! Have been so determined to do everything right! I go back to see the consultant on Tuesday for my 6 weeks check. He had said that if I felt confident ( which I haven't!) then I could try trainers during the course of week 6  ( which is this week ) so I suppose if I had then I would already have put weight onto foot. Scared in case I have done something to damage my foot and undo everything that has happened over the last weeks! Help! Has this happened to anyone else? 

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had both my bunions done in early September, but not hammer toes. I nearly fell forward during the first two weeks and instinctively lunged one foot forward, although I had both shoes on it still jarred a bit. I was relieved when I went to have my bandages and stitches removed and X-rays taken that all was ok. I have also been diligent in wearing my special shoes and only in the past two weeks have I stood in the shower instead of perching on my seat, although I do still keep the weight on my heels and sides of my feet. I wasn't able to attend the date I was given for my six week check up, so I will be nearly eight weeks post op when I am seen by my surgeon. Even so I shall keep wearing the special shoes until then and will hopefully be given the go ahead to wear trainers. I cannot wait! 

I hope you are ok, I wouldn't think at the stage you are at that you have done any damage, especially if you aren't experiencing any additional pain or discomfort from standing on your foot without the shoe. Good luck in your remaining recovery period.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, Kathryn. Thanks for your reply. I am sure that you are right and I am worrying unnecessarily. Been a bit stressful and I don't want cause any problems at this stage,obviously. Haven't stood without the shoe yet. Waiting until consultant visit on Tuesday. He did say that I could try ahead of the conultation if I felt confident but I haven't. There was a very sharp painters morning and it is now aching a bit. It has been a bit 'funny' all week. The other one has been fine. You have done very well and I am sure that wearing the shoes for a bit infer will have positive results for you. I am really looking forward to having an extremely long shower! A bit sick of just having a 'wash down'. Good luck when you go for your consultation. Let me know how you get on
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Karen. I suspect lots of us have done something like that, especially as time goes on (and oh, those early morning loo visits are a pain!). I'm exactly 5 weeks post op and managed to use the ball of my operated foot to push up from seated the other day and did I know about it! Since then, I've had sharp pain and a jarring sensation across the top of that part of the foot on a couple of occasions (once when I'd been standing a few minutes to do the ironing so had to give that up quickly, shame!). I'm trying not to worry about it. I have, like you, been trying to do everything by  the book and can recognise the frustration when you manage to forget. I'm taking the view that, if I've been doing everything right and giving foot the best chance of recovery so far, then at this stage it will not have done any damage but has just woken up some internal bruising and nerves.

Hope your appointment goes well and that ypu find all's progressing as it should.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. Relieved that I am not the only one to have done this! Did have a sharp pain ( ouch!) and it is now aching a bit. I am sure that you are right. Will soon be able to wear shoes and so should be ok and just worrying unnecessarily. This is probably because that foot has been giving me a bit of grief over the last week where the other one has been fine. Probably just worrying too much! Hope that everything is ok with you. You must be coming up to having your review appointment.. Good luck with it and let me know how you get on
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds like we share the same foot - yep, not been good this week - and also being prone to worrying! wink although I guess most people do, not surprisingly. My review appointment is a week on Tuesday, 6 weeks and 3 days post-op, am I counting? It's hard work sometimes and yes, more stressful than I think people recognise but keeping on counting my blessings! Re having a shower: I managed about 3 weeks with just washing and having manky hair, using dry shampoo a couple of times, then asked a friend to take me to a mobility shop where I bought a shower stool which just fits into the bath and a leg-protector. Bit of a faff to use but well worth it. Enjoy that first shower! And I look forward to hearing how you get on with your appointment.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Must just depend on when the consultant is available for appointments. My appointment is 5 weeks and 6 days after surgery. Not that I am counting either! I had my bunions done many ears ago and this is the second time around so I guess I am just being a bit obsessive cos I really don't want to have to have anything done again! I did get s perching stool which has been great for getting washed etc and I am really pleased that we had the kitchen re-done a little while ago and got a flexible tap because that has been great for hair washing! I also got a shower stop, bit was advised that if you have a raised shower tray that they can crack with the stool and so it has remained upstairs unused! Just taken delivery of crocs which I generally would say that I hTe but where needs must!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, the same thing happened to me about that time time, and I screamed.  Thought I'd really messed everything up.  But everything is fine.  I started walking on both feet with walker at about 5 weeks (only had foot done), then used cane, then just started walking by myself, in weekly increments.  Don't worry.  You'll be fine!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that. A bit of a fright. However, you have made me feel a lot more confident. Hope that you are right. I am having a lot of trouble getting any footwear ahead of the glam sandals coming off this week. My big toes seem to have no bend and I can't get any shoes on. Ordered a number of different pairs including cro a without success! Did you need any physio to help with this? 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up