Op cancelled last minute

Posted , 12 users are following.

All packed and psyched for tomorrow morning to get a phone call saying they have probs with list and its been cancelled and they'll send new appointment out. All planning for kids, hubby changed all his on call shifts and holidays..... I'm not a happy bunny right now. sad I know it can'tbe helped but seeing as i was told in November that latest they wanted to leave it was April makes me wonder what else they telling me that's wrong rrrrrrr sorry needed to vent!

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Froggy

This sounds familiar!  My op was cancelled the afternoon before it was due whilst I was out shopping for all the items I needed to take in with me.  My partner was livid as he lives 70 miles away and had travelled down to be with me when I was admitted. My work had also arranged cover for me for six weeks from that date.  My partner emailed the Chief Executive Officer of our NHS Trust as we found out from my consultant's secretary that they had been in crisis with beds since Christmas and therefore had known for a long time that my op probably wouldn't take place.  He told them it was completely unacceptable to leave it till the last minute when patients were nervous and stressed anyway, especially as they did not give me an alternative date straightway, adding to the stress.  As a result of his persistence, I was contacted immediately with a new date and admitted into the private wing where I received brilliant care.  The op was very successful and I recovered very quickly (able to start jogging again at 5 weeks post op!!)

All I can say to you is don't accept it - take your complaint right to the top - don't bother with their complaints procedure.  We all know that cancellations happen but to leave until the day before to cancel patients is completely unacceptable.  Take it up with the CEO of your NHS Trust and kick up a fuss - it certainly paid off for me.

Best of luck for getting a new date as soon as possible.

Shani

x

• Posted

Thanks. We Dont have private wing but my consultant is also consultant for the private hospital down the road. Typical. I'd already been told they had problems and had moved from maternity and gynae hospital to general hospital so in some ways its a relief I'll be back with people in same position rather than whatever op is going on. Male and female. If I dont get reply about new date tomorrow I will be taking it further but I also see pressures they all under with short staff too. Too wussy for my own good!
  • Posted

They tried to cancel mine on the day of op saying my lat blood count was low I had been taking iron tabs had to argue it out went in and blood was fine so op went ahead it's awful when you psyche itself up to it feel for you.
  • Posted

Just realised if next week I'll be due a period do you think that will delay it?
    • Posted

I would nt have thought so as they deal with a lot of blood loss during the op so having a period can't surely delay it? A period is probably a small amount of blood loss compared to having hysterectomy. That's my theory anyway but may be wrong x
    • Posted

Thanks. Its never been mentioned and you'd have thought it would be if likely to be a problem. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Froggy 

Hope that you get some good news today.

Stay strong and positive.

• Posted

I feel for you, mine was 07 Jan, 13 Feb, 16 March, 19 March all cancelled after the first oneI was getting provisonal dates, had op on the 23 March even then there wasn't a bed for me I waited on a chair in a room maked store room before I went down. 
    • Posted

That's awful! I was meant to go in on 13th Feb but my hubby was away for work and had no leave left so I asked for a new date. Then I was deleted from system hence jump to May. But I have been told there has been a cancellation next week so fingers crossed as consultant on holiday after that so will be in a few months if not sad xx
  • Posted

Been told next Wednesday over phone as had cancelation but letter home today saying end of June. They said to ignore that as sent before cancelation came thru. I'm keeping fingers crossed for new letter and for it to stay next week but I dont think I'll believe it now til I'm in an anesthetic room lol. Thank you all for your support xx
    • Posted

Hi Froggy

Let's hope it happens next Wednesday and you can then get on with recovery.  It is like having to put your life on hold isn't it waiting for the op to happen.  Fingers and toes crossed for you for next week.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks Jacqui. That's exactly how I feel. I've been waiting since November waiting for dates and thought it would all be done and dusted now. Well at least my house is clean as I keep scrubbing everywhere to keep my mind off it hee hee! Xx
    • Posted

Great news !

At least you don't have too long to wait.Does it mess your husbands work up too much?Would you still except an an earlier cancellation if need be or are you just sticking to next Weds?Just think this time next week it would of been done and you might even be going home that day.At least you will be able to go away now.I was worried about going away just over 11 weeks after my abdominal but i have felt ok since day one.I could of easily gone away within a couple of days of getting home.Hope everything goes well.

Lots of love

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Thank you theresa

Fingers crossed for no more cancelations hey? My hubby works NHS and had all his on call shifts changed to week I'm now in but can't swap back so keeping all crossed he's not out when o need a lift home but we'll get round it lol

• Posted

Hi Froggy

I was just thinking about all of us that cleaned the house top to bottom each time before our ops, then to have them cancelled and then to do it all again for the next date!  Do you think it is a plot to get us to do the housework?  

Have you got your case packed ready to go?  I am keeping everything crossed for you. 

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Froggy

Wishing you good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well and you are first down.  See you 'on the other side' as they say.  Let us know when you can how you are.  Try and get a goodnight's sleep.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Thank you Jacqui. Nerves setting in but this time tomorrow I should be on the ward. Fingers crossed. Will let you know when I can. Hope you feeling OK now xx
    • Posted

Hi Froggy

Have a lovely relaxing evening, it will be great when it is all over and you are finally on the road to full recovery.  

I'm fine now thanks, take care, I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow 

will be thinking of you

lee x

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow,hope it doesn't get cancelled again.To go through that once must be horrible but twice must be horrendous. Can't believe how quickly the last week has flown by but it has probably dragged to you.Have you got any final questions? Please do not worry everything will be fine.It will all be over and you will be back home before you know it recovering.Have you got your husband properly trained?

Best wishes

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Sorry I just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow and my message got moderated but  I don't know why.

luv

Teresa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.