Op finally done

Posted , 7 users are following.

So after getting cancelled last month I had my A and P repair and bladder sling on Monday. Discharged yesterday with catheter with instructions to return to TWOC clinic next Monday. Am taking lactulose which won the battle of constipation from codine at 3am this morning! Despite being a student nurse I have no idea when to take it to have its effects at a more social time. Also felt very uncomfortable afterwards, think sitting on loo for ages aggrevated my ' bit's ' which then made catheter more umcomfortable, oh the joys! Have taken 10 mls of lactulose at 10am, took it at 10 and again evening yesterday but any advice on how often I should take? No real info on bottle and no info on discharge. Thank you muchly from my painkiller induced fog Xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello elaine and good to hear you've had your surgery. Lactulose is a bit of trial and error really so if you're having your bowels opened ok just take a dose on a night and see how that helps, if it doesn't increase the dose or take it twice a day.
    • Posted

Was more painful that I thought it would be last night and obviously everything seems worse early hours of morning! Thanks, have taken 10 mls this morning and think things are moving! So difficult to open bowels without straining of any description 😵 also taking the tip from carol about drinking plenty of water. Hopefully will knock codine on head sooner rather than later so won't be such an issue Xx
    • Posted

The surgery is painful elaine so don't be in pain. I know codeine causes constipation but the Lactulose and a stool softener can sort that out. I say this all the time pain hinders recovery and you're a nurse so I'm sure you wouldn't leave a patient in pain would you? Look after yourself. Rest for the next 2 weeks completely and I mean do nothing. Listen to your body.
    • Posted

You are so right! I'm always telling patients the days of being in pain are over and I know it hinders recovery. Will definitely do absolutely nothing for next few weeks. Thank you 😄 Xx
    • Posted

Good so practice what you preach. Keep in touch 
  • Posted

Hi Elaine I think it's trial and error. I got fybrogel in hospital and it didn't work but when I got discharged the doctor prescribed laxido. I started by taking one sachet in the morning and one at night and nothing for 2 days then the most horrendous diarohea lol. Since that episode I take one sachet just before bed as late as possible and have a softish stool every morning within an hour of getting up. If I take it early evening I get bad cramps early morning. I would definately say drinking water helps enormously I force myself to have half a glass every time I'm in kitchen or going to bathroom. Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Posted

I take 15mls twice a day morning and night and generally go in the morning...we're all different though. Hope the pain eases soon x
  • Posted

and so begins the recovery, lots of rest!

I weaned myself off the am lactulose 15ml only this week, am drink a large glass of fresh orange juice in the morning instead, and it seems to be working.

The second 15mls, I take at bedtime, somehow the wind doesn't bother me during the night, and doesn't sound like an approaching thunderstorm, lol.

At nearly ten weeks, I seem to have got my bowels sorted, still taking dulcalax at night also.

Having a sudden urge to go in the morning, and it's quite easy now thank God.

Very early days for you yet, hope you soon feel a little better, it does get easier, just takes a while.

• Posted

Thank you! Had a dash/ waddle out to the loo about an hour ago and was fine. Don't normally need anything so was a bit concerned about timings! Trying to eat fiber and veg, just a matter of finding what suits 😄 X
    • Posted

Ha ha!

Me neither, normally a three times a day girl, this op seems to have changed everything, my diets the same.

Tried a mild curry last week and worked a treat!

On the salad cabbage and cauliflower now, not all together mind you, just eating all the good wind producing stuff, my poor husband!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.