Op number 2

Posted , 6 users are following.

finally got date for my 2nd op 24th March so will be in over Easter but at least it will be done

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi I wish you a speedy recovery. I am 8 weeks post tkr surgery and I have to get my other knee done but I am going to leave it till later in the year. At the moment I can't face going through this again. When did you have your first one done?
  • Posted

You have probably done the right thing to wait awhile. I hope everything goes well. Keep us informed as this forum is so helpful to all of us. When I came round from my first tkr surgery the surgeon said, it's all gone well see you in 6 weeks to discuss the other one. I actually thought to myself he will have to catch me first. As I said I am now 8 weeks post surgery I am nowhere near fully recovered yet. I really hadn't expected to go through everything I have. It's a tough journey but I'm sure it's worth it in the end. All my best wishes Jannette

• Posted

The one that has been done is fine no problems the other one is holding me back can't wait the pain is so bad now it is a tough journey 
  • Posted

You will be very happy when you have both knees done.

Hard my first June 26th of last year and my second on October 9th.

It is SO GOOD to be done with all the pain I had PRIOR to surgery!

You will be glad, too!

Keep us posted on your surgery and recovery. We are all your KNEE TEAM!!!

• Posted

I know it's a tough journey but can't wait to be rid of the pain and to be able to go shopping and play with the grandchildren especially as my daughter is expecting her third baby in April 
    • Posted

I was the same. My second knee was holding me back with LOTS of PAIN. My newly replaced knee was doing good. It was GREAT having both working after my second surgery. You will be happy for the "temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement!!"

Happy almost Grandma once again!

Very exciting!

• Posted

I had my first one done in Sept and my second one in Dec, the week before Christmas.  I had so much pain in my bad leg between the surgeries that I couldn't enjoy the relief in my new knee, but now that both are done, I know that this has worked and it is so nice to walk without the pain I used to have.  I'm only 9 weeks from the last surgery, but I feel like I can live again.  I still have soreness and tightness, to be expected, but nothing like before!  Good luck with your surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Retha!

You and I have had our surgeries pretty much at the same interval! (My first was last June, and my second was this past October -- four months apart to your three months apart).

I was VERY ready for that second one to be over and done with because, like you, my Not-Yet- done knee was REALLY painful and holding me back while my newly-surgical-knee was READY TO GO! Like you, I couldn't really enjoy the progress in my left knee because my right one hurt so much.

Sure, I knew there would be a second recovery to go through, but I just wanted my pain to STOP in that second knee! I KNEW it would only get worse the longer I waited. I HAD to get that second surgery!

Glad to hear you are doing well since YOUR second knee was replaced! I sure do agree with you that it is SO GREAT to walk without pain in each KNEE!

People don't believe me when I tell them that I don't have knee pain. I tell them it is THE TRUTH. When you finally can be pain-free after having so much discomfort for so long it truly is a GIFT!

So glad to hear of your success since you got your second surgery! May you have continued enjoyment going forward on your two new knees!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply to my post!  Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Nice to have someone that is so close to the same situation.  

I do have a question.  I really can't say that I have any pain but I still have alot of tightness which to me feels like I'm tearing something when I'm walking.  Mainly just uncomfortable but not the pain I used to have.  I have a business rehabbing homes and I'm on my feet alot during the day.  When I have been bending over alot, I notice that I have more discomfort and really have to come home and ice and rest a while.  I am now 5 months from my first and 2 months from the second surgery.  Did you, or do you, still have some discomfort?  I still take two Aleve in the morning and two in the evening.  Hate to be a whiner, but just want to make sure that I'm pretty normal!  I guess "misery loves company"!  smile

I'm still doing my exercises and am doing anywhere between 4 to 8 miles a day on my stationary bike.  I'm getting ready to go to Las Vegas for a few days and know I will be doing quite a bit of walking.  Do you still get pretty sore when you're active?

Thanks again for sharing!

Retha

• Posted

Hi Retha!

I stretch a lot throughout the day. I probably move every few minutes around the clock because I have arthritis in my ankles, my hips, my shoulders, my elbows and in my lower back. Lately my index fingers and thumbs have begun aching, too. Sitting still is pretty much impossible for me!

I take Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours on achy days. Some days I don't have as much trouble with stiffness.

People ask me if I have pain in my knees. Honestly, my knees feel GREAT! From time to time I get that "tourniquet" pain, but I just keep moving.

I hope to get walking again in the spring. Before all my craziness started, I walked 3-5 miles a day and sometimes hit closer to 6 miles. I have a garden and also do all the grass cutting, trimming, landscaping, planting etc. I just LOVE being outside! My favorite walks are along the lakeshore. We live just a mile from Lake Erie, and I enjoy collecting beach glass and pretty rocks on my walks.

At home I enjoy yoga, and find that the stretches help me feel a lot less stiff.

I also like to SHOP! I get in plenty of WALKING as I shop!

Like everyone, I overdo things from time to time. Since I am retired, I can easily give myself permission to be LAZY LUCY that following day, drink my tea, and read in my HAMMOCK. Ahhhhhhh!

I TRY to ignore pain by pushing ahead to do interesting things. I just am SO GRATEFUL that my knees feel good. To me, that is truly a BONUS!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I guess what I'm having is the "tourniquet" pain that you refer to.  I do my exercises but I don't think I stretch enough.  I mentioned getting back in to yoga to someone and was told that I probably shouldn't do that yet.  

I will just keep pushing through!  Sounds like it is working for you!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Retha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.