Open Nissans Fundoplication

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I need your help deciding to have an open nissans or not, please give me your stories, the good and the bad ones.

Many thanks

Pam

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm currently looking into my options, got a small hiatus hernia causing relux etc, with particularly bad indigestion when doing any exercise. I really don't fancy the Nissan option, don't think it's reversible and can cause a lot of complications, such as not being able to burp or vomit. Have you looked at the Linx procedure? Seems the best one and is keyhole surgery.

Mike 

• Posted

Although LINX may be the best artificial reflux reduction technique, I, personally would recommend Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication in preference. It's half the price and has been tried, tested and proven over 50 years whereas LINX ahs only been around just over 10 and it is not known how it will be in another 10 or 20 years down the line.

In the 70's there was a similar device that used a "rubber band" instead of a magnetic bracelet, called Angelchik. Everyone scrambled for it. However 20 years later, everyone wanted it removed. It had started eroding the outer walls of the oesophagus.

LNF is actually no more invasive than LINX - just 5 small incisions.

And after LNF it is possibe to burp and vomit if necessary - I can vouch for that.

After LINX 68% have problems swallowing - it needs stronger peristalsis to push the bolus through the restriction.

• Posted

Hi Pam,

Having a fundo in 2008 was the best thing I ever did. The blog of my experience may be read here if the moderators permit it: https://sites.google.com/site/robichris/barretts#TOC-The-Laparoscopic-Nissen-Fundoplication-operation

Unfortunately, following 5 hours violent retching from Norovirus, it camr loose and I had a Collis-Nissen revision last year.

NICE have produced an Option Grid of pros and cons of lifetime PPIs vs surgery which may seen here: https://sites.google.com/site/downwithacid/home/appendices#TOC-NICE-Option-Grid-for-the-treatment-of-long-term-heartburn.

All the best,

Chris

• Posted

Well you don't give a lot of information. Are you taking medications? Do they work? How long have you had these problems? What results did you get from your Motility test, Barium Swallow, Endoscopy, pH Study?
  • Posted

I had keyhole nissen last year and have felt really rough since. The jury is still out as to whether my current symptoms are due to the op or whether I have something else going on. I now get a lot of flatulence and urgent diarrhea. Both quite embarrassing. I also seem to sweat all the time. All of which I didn't have before. Seems a bit of a coincidence but no one else seems to agree with me. As to the surgery -it was fine and I was eating ok within a few weeks. For some the surgery is great and some get other symptoms after. You also can't eat as much (probably not a bad thing in my case). You need to weigh up the pros and cons. The op can be reversed but they don't like doing it as it is complicated. It can also be loosened if it is too tight. You can have full and partial wraps.
    • Posted

Following my Collis-Nissen revision last year, I, too, have experienced lower abdominal problems. I take Mebeverine (Golofac) 20 mins before a meal and 2 Dextro tablets half an hour after.

But it's definitely preferable to the chronic reflux cough pre-surgery.

• Posted

Hi I haven't had the Nissan I had the linx

Procedure 2 weeks ago.

I was on lots of medication that did not really

Help my symptoms and I was suffering

With a lot of pain and eating had become

Very difficult.

I did ask my consultant for information

About both surgery options Linx and the

Nissan before I went ahead with surgery.

Good luck and I hope all goes well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.