Open surgery post op

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was admitted to a non local hospital last Sunday nightcsufferingcan awful attack. I was in so much pain but expected the usual - sent home with painkillers. I was wrong. I was operated on the day after but my gall bladder was so infected keyhole was abandoned during surgery and I had full open surgery. Consultant said it should have been treated ages ago. My point is why are the waiting lists so long? My op would have been so much easier if I had had it earlier.

Now at home recovering. Anyone else on here had open surgery so I can compare notes?

Thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have.  It will be a good while for you to feel better.  I had keyhole the first time (don't ask, but yes I have had 2 gallbladder removal operations).  The first time I had more issues than with the open surgery.  Just let yourself heal naturally.  Don't be too hard on yourself to recover quickly.  It will happen naturally.  Keep taking the pain relief as that will mean you can move easier.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am not coping very well with being incapacitated and I have also got cellulitis at the site of the canula which is even more painful than the op site. People keep telling me I must feel so much better but I don't!
    • Posted

Ooh, that sounds painful.  You need to rest and just go with it.  Trust me I know what I'm talking about.  I had my open operation at the beginnning of February and it's only the past week that I've been able to feel even remotely normal.  There is no point fighting it.  It won't do you any good.  Find a tv programme that you enjoy.  A bit of candy crush.  Lots of sleep.  Dream of the Summer.  It will all be worth it.  Good luck.  PS.  and take the pain meds.  don't be brave.  you don't get medals for it!
    • Posted

Thank you. Its very comforting to know I am not being weak and not trying hard enough. In hospital the other patients all had keyhole and were up and about. I began to feel a fraud . Now at home a friend keeps telling me to keep going and I will feel better faster. I keep crying especially in the middle of the night when I am struggling to go to the bathroom. I also have cellulitis in my arm where the original canula was and it is extremely painful.
    • Posted

You are not being weak at all.  You have every right to be feeling the way you do.  If you don't rest properly, you won't get better.  You will know in yourself when you are on the mend.  Please take care.
    • Posted

Thank you LMD. At least I managed to get my GP to do a home visit today! He's coming back in 2 days as well. Take care yourself x
  • Posted

Hi Annoee,

i had open surgery about three years ago, and common bile duct exploration.  With mine, the gallbladder pains were misdiagnosed as trapped wind for over twenty years, by which stage the gallbladder abd common bile duct were so badly clogged that the only option was open.  Do not expect a quick recovery - it is slow and uncomfortable.  I was in late forties when I had it, and walked like an old woman for weeks.  However you will recover.  I am however suffering from chronic diarrhoea now, which is why I've just signed up to the forum, for advice. 

Good luck with your recovery, no more pain now!  Hold that thought! Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Kathy, yes, I feel left me an old woman too and am only 56!

I am trying to keep positive and remember th e awful gall bladder pain that will be no more.

I hope you feel better soon too.

• Posted

Hi Kathy I had my op in Jan and was previosly told it was athritis at 37  I had my gallbladder removed in Jan this year and was also suffering with bowel problems I now only eat low fat food as I have discovered anything fatty brings on the dreaded D  I do feel alot better apart from fatigue which aparently is normal , now the fat is out of my diet the  stomach problems usually occur when I eat anything greasy like chips and stuff which is sad ,however on the plus I am now losing a bit of weight so this can only be good for me in general .Hope you find some solution to your problem as it is difficult to eat socially and lead a normal life  Hope this helps and just rememeber we arent alone x
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa, I have been dreading changing my diet as I love food lol, but I do suspect you are right and I need to look at low fat.  I am in Italy at the mo on holiday and right enough I have been eating pizza etc - and things haven't been great in the old waste disposal dep't!  Going home tomorrow so will start my new diet then!! Xx
    • Posted

Hi kathy enjoy the rest of your holiday for now  Ive started weightwatchers new plan is easy to follow and is really helping the other things Ive researched that might help is some multi vitamins as I have discovered we are proccesing fat in a different way now. Wish I had known all this before op as they told me a normal diet would be ok lol Sadly no more fried breakfast etc for me anymore but to be honest eating low fat has made life easier for me as I was too scared to eat in work etc due to the dreaded D showing up lol   Take care and enjoy rest of hols x
    • Posted

Something else Ive discovered is that we now procces the fat in a different way and some vitamin d supplements may help you because Im exteremely tired a lot which I wasnt before, like fatigue . Wont help much in the bowel area i dont suppose but Im going to give it a try and see if it helps Im only 46 and feel 70 at mo .Enjoy your last day in the sun and take care will post my results in a week or so x
  • Posted

Hi

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was misdiagnosed for over two years by one hospital who kept saying I had a heart spasm but my heart was good !!! Work that one out. It was only on my lady attack I was taken to a different hospital who diagnosed me in less than an hour and I had surgery bad yourself they started with keyhole but it was abandoned and I had full open surgery as it had been left so long my gallbladder had fused to my duodenum. I now have it in the hands of a solicitor ..

• Posted

Not had surgery yet am being operated on next month on the 19th. That will be 7 months since I was hospitalised for cholecystitis. It is absolutely disgusting to have to wait that long. The referal to treatment time is 18 weeks in England. That passed for me back in mid February. I know I'm not the only one and I count myself lucky that I have had only symptoms and short attacks and not cholecystitis again.

My LFT's have remained high and I had to switch hospitals to get treatment quicker but since I changed hospitals, I was rang to offer me dates at the original one. I stayed with the new hopsital because they are much smaller and dont have an A+E department which closed down the other hospital's day case for over a month. I'm glad to have a date but keeping everything crossed that I do not develop another infection within the next, almost 4 weeks. Down here they have stated that they absolutely will NOT operate while there is infection. If I'm readmitted to hospital, they tell me i'll have to wait at least two months more each time. So I've been stuck on less than 3% fat diet all this time and taking medication. You can probably gather that I'm not amused! However, now I've got a date, I'm just counting the down the days and doing EVERYTHING to minimise further attacks, infection and I'm keeping very active. I do hope you get better soon. I'm sure you feel very upset that the wait has given you much more complex surgery and recovery time. Its a disgrace! X

• Posted

Hi Lisa, thank you for your reply and I hope your op goes,well. I also hope you don't get a flare up before as I was told the same thing that they would not operate whilst infection present. I think I was luckyvto be near a hospital where the surgeon thought differently. He was adamant I should have been operated on much earlier and said he very rarely does open surgery for this. The discharge letter is interesting so I have kept a copy just in case I may need it! X
    • Posted

Ladies, as much as it is tempting to be relieved of the pain etc, please do not allow yourselves to be operated on if there is infection unless you have absolutely no choice. Trust me. Good luck to you both
    • Posted

Oh don't worry LMD I wouldn't. Not after what you have been through. I'm doing all I can to be healthy and active. I get small attacks but nothing serious. I'm counting down the days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.