Operation 20.4.15. sick with nerves.

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am having my gallbladder removed in 8 days. I know i need to have it done as its infected, full of stones and its putting pressure on my pancreas.

I suffer badly with anxiety and also vertigo. Im so nervous about being put under.

Please can someone reassure me? TY

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi paddy girl you definitely need to get your gallbladder out if it's that bad. You will feel so much better once it's removed. There are loads of people having theirs removed everyday And have successful outcomes. Once it's infected it needs to come out. I'm sure you will be fine. Wishing you the very best with the operation. It will be over before you know it. Good luck and take care.
  • Posted

Advice I've seen here before which is definitely worth repeating is to help with anxiety, ask your doctor about something you could take.  You need to rest and take good care of yourself before surgery and anxiety can make everything harder. I also have vertigo and wondered about anesthesia.  Just make sure your anesthesiologist who typically will meet with you before you go into the OR knows about your vertigo.  I had no trouble with the anesthesia and vertigo.  This is a relatively quick surgery so you won't be under or in a weird position for very long. Please let us know how it goes!
  • Posted

Hi paddygirl, well I can certainly put your mind at rest. My gallbladder was like yours very badly infected and loads of stones I could have mended Hadrians wall with them! lol anyway I went in for the op, now I suffer from anxiety and a vomiting phobia, so the first thing I did was tell the Consultant and he said he would make sure I would be given an anti-sickness drug during the op and after which he did bless him. I had my op at 7pm and I was sitting up talking to my husband at 10pm and talking on the phone to my daughter, no dozyness! just sore which is understandable, I went  home at 11am the next morning. I am sure you will be fine lovely try not to worry I know it's hard not to but be up front with your Consultant it really does pay off. xxxxxxxxxx 
  • Posted

Hi paddygirl - it is going to be alright. Gallbladder removal is a very common and safe surgery. I know it is hard to keep calm, but know that after you heal, you will be feeling much better than before.

Best thing to do is prepare beforehand so that coming home after surgery is easy. Have antibacterial hand soap ready for when you wash hands. Have watertight bandages on hand for when you take your shower (i used nextcare brand and they kept the incisions dry). Have clean sheets on the bed and clean gowns (because you may not want anything snug around your middle for a couple days and bending over might make you sore). Have some easy on the tummy foods ready like broth, crackers, jello, etc. 

If painkillers and anesthesia make you constipated, be sure to take stool softeners (not laxatives) starting a couple days before surgery. It will help not to have to push hard after your procedure.

Whileyou are awaiting your surgery in pre-op, ask the anesthesiologist to give you Versed. The docs should undestand that this should help keep your bp from shooting up from anxiety beforehand. I did this and it helped immensely.

Yes, most people do feel nauseous and throw up immediateky after surgery, BUT this is normal and to be expected. Remember to Breathe deep, sip water, and get that anesthesia out of your system adap.

If you keep focused on making your recovery as easy as possible, this will help.

• Posted

So many people get their gallbladders removed (including myself) and were all fine. I think statistically 1 in 4 or 5 people. I too get anxiety and thee only way I can deal with stress like this is on my knees. Do you know Jesus? He'll comfort you and give you peace. I prayed with every single person that was part of the team that performed my surgery and it was my best and easiest surgery yet. If you go to church have people pray with you before surgery. If you want I'll put you on our prayer team. Best wishes and remember God is in control! You'll be fine! In Jesus name
  • Posted

Hi Paddygirl, i had my gaalblader removed on friday, i was so nervous never had an operation before but it all went well, just try and stay calm and you will be fine goodluckx
  • Posted

Hi Paddygirl ,

I went through the same anxiety and panic , the doc gave me antyanxiety medicine ativan ( in USA ) i took the lowest dose and only when i felt bad . After the surgery I didn't need it anymore

So ask your doc and good luck with surgery

• Posted

Yes Ativan/Lorazepam works great for anxiousity it doesn't make you feel like you've taken any drugs but kinda gives you the "I don't care" attitude. Ask your doctor for it.
  • Posted

I too have bad anxiety and vertigo. I was terrified of surgery. I had my ovary and fallopian tube removed in Dec. I was SO SCARED! Well, all went well and I was just fine. No vertigo when I came out of being under. I was a bit dizzy, but not much at all. I was so scared of getting sick after, but I was fine. They gave me a lot of anti-nausea meds. You will be fine!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up