Operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last October I got misdiagnosed my doctor thought I had acids reflux and later found out when I went for tests that I have gallstones and a infection in my gall bladder they told me they will remove my gall bladder but due to anxiety I’m scared what will happen can anyone help put my mind at ease please, I have a surgical consultation end of June I have no idea what that is as never had operation or dealt with hospitals before 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. First of all stay calm. They will put you under for the surgery. Mine happened in 2 days. So I didn't have time to make any decision's. I was only told that there would be 5 small incisions and it would take about an hour. It turned out to be 3 hours but that's cause I had a hernia issue as well. You will be very sore after but take your pain medication and do what they tell you and you will be ok. Surgical consult is where they tell you about the surgery and what they will do. You ask them as many questions as you want. If you don't understand something as them to explain it till you do. Tell them your nervous about it and they should be able to make you more at ease. I understand how you feel cause I felt the same way. It will take you about 3-4 weeks before you'll be able to get back to work probably. Just know and believe everyday you will get better and better. You can do this. Your strong. We're here for you. We've been through it or are going through it to. This Friday will be my 4 weeks since my surgery. I'm getting there and you will to. Good luck! Hugs!

• Posted

I’ve got 2 weeks till surgery my family are understanding and supporting me through my anxiety attacks but where I work are not understanding the time I need off even before op, but my consultation letter they sent me doesn’t say for gall bladder surgery and I haven’t been to them with any other issues so I’m worried what they’re actually going to do and thank you so much for the message and positivity x
    • Posted

I’ve got 2 weeks till surgery my family are understanding and supporting me through my anxiety attacks but where I work are not understanding the time I need off even before op, but my consultation letter they sent me doesn’t say for gall bladder surgery and I haven’t been to them with any other issues so I’m worried what they’re actually going to do and thank you so much for the message and positivity x
  • Posted

Hi Alex

A consultation is where they explain what will happen and you can ask about anything that's worrying you.

I was nervous too had a few sleepless nights thinking about it. But my experience was great I went into hospital at 7am and was at home around 12.30.

4 really tiny incisions no pain at all no need for pain medication after op day. I felt so much better from the minute I came round, started eating normally straight away and have done so ever since (9 months). The only issue I really had was a bit of pain from the gas they use to inflate for micro surgery but that was gone after 48 hours and I took Simeticone for that.

I'm in the UK depending on your job I was advised return to driving, work etc in 7 to 10 days. The only rule was no lifting or working out... nothing heavier than a 4pint carton of milk for 3 months according to my surgeon.

It probably won't help to say try not to worry smile But.. worrying doesn't change anything so try not to worry smile

Best wishes.

• Posted

Are u in pain?  If not I would try to heal gallbladder and not have surgery.  My recovery has been difficult.  9 weeks post op and still alot of pain unless I eat hardly anything and take gasX and zantac.   If however you are having frequent attacks you may need to have it out.   Keep in mind many people have gallstones and dont have it out or dont even know it.  Diet changes can help.  Get a second opinion too.  As far as the actual surgery, I was scared as well.   They gave me meds to calm me down and lavender essential oil to inhale which really helped.  I would do anything I could to save my gallbladder if I had to do it over again.   See a holistic doctor who’s willing to work with you on healing your gut issues before you rush to remove it.   Good luck!
    • Posted

I’ve been told I’m to have it out but I’m savages and have bad anxiety I’m worried ive changed everything I eat drink and do but still in constant pain pain relief don’t help either 
  • Posted

Hi, 

I had my gallbladder removed nearly 2 weeks ago. 

The only pain I have had is trapped wind from where they pump you up with gas and I drank peppermint tea and put a hot water bottle on my shoulder where the pain was, and little bit of a stomach ache after dinner a few times. 

I am so glad I have had it done, diet can help for a little while it did with me but the minute I ate anything that triggered I had pains not always bad but I still got them and I also ended up with a gallstone stuck in my bile duct and that was so painful and I ended up jaundiced and in hospital for ten days and having mri scans and an ercp which was a lot worse than the operation to have my gall bladder removed. 

When you go to see the consultant they will always tell you the worse case scenario that can happen during an op, but honestly try not to worry although it is normal to feel anxious before surgery I was.

You can’t self heal with gallstone or gallbladder problems the best thing is to have it removed, I can honestly say even after I came round from the op I was fine hardly any pain. My biggest worry was that i was going to be sick after the aneasthetic but I was given anti sickness and was fine. 

• Posted

I ended up jaundice but it went away after couple weeks, I’m in pain no matter what I eat or do etc I’m worried about seeing any equipment etc 
    • Posted

You won’t see any equipment when you go down to theatre your taken into a little room and anaesthetised as I said previously they will tell you risks because they have too. These doctors, surgeons  are doing this every day they will look after you and wouldn’t take your gallbladder out unless it was beneficial for your health. It is normal to feel anxious and if you let the surgical team know they will help you feel more comfortable. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.