Operation been set back do I cancel holiday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I was due to have Rectocele and cystocele repair in December but it's been put back until February, I have a holiday booked in April would it wise to try and change it as I'm not sure about recovery times for this kind of operation.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It all depends where you are going and how far you need to travel eg flying. 
    • Posted

I would either change my holiday further out or change surgery to after my holiday.
  • Posted

I think I'd be inclined to ask the surgeon, because if it's not far away and somewhere very restful, it might be fine, but a lot of travelling (and don't forget you can't lift heavy luggage) and activity wouldn't be good.
  • Posted

You only have to read the posts on this forum to realise just how different we all are and we all recover at different rates. Your operation is major surgery and the rectocele repair in particular is the most painful part of the operation. I don't think anyone even your surgeon can predict how you will feel in April. If it's a quiet holiday in the UK where you'll be able to rest then I'd say risk it. If you're going abroad and someone will carry your suitcases then you may be well enough to go but who can predict how you'll be? The other thing to consider is your medical history and how that can impact on your recovery. Only you can make the decision but I wouldn't delay surgery because you could end up near the bottom of the waiting list and you have no way of knowing how the winter pressures can impact on the NHS also causing delays.
  • Posted

Consider the implications to your travel insurance if going abroad - you'll need to tell them otherwise you could invalidate your insurance.
  • Posted

I'm almost 3 weeks out from cystocele and rectocele repair and I feel wonderful! If I had permission, I would be doing Zumba now. So for me, I'd say go on your vacation!

The very best person to answer your question is your doctor.

Good luck!

Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.