Operation due soon

Posted , 4 users are following.

ifirst posted on this site about 2 months ago soon after I had found out that I had diverticulosis. At that time I was considering wether or not I should take the advice of the consultant surgeon and have a bowel resection operation. It did seem a bit extreme as I had not yet suffered a serious episode of the condition.

Well, I agreed to have the operation and I am due to have it on Wednesday of next week, 7th October. And now that date can't come quickly enough. Over the last 2 weeks I have suffered a series of acute attacks of diverticulosis and for the first time it's caused me to take time of work. So it seems that the consultant's prediction that it would only get worse has been proved correct very quickly and I have made the right decision to go ahead with the operation.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Please keep us posted. I had been doing great so decided to have BBQ and within a couple hours my stomach is rebelling.
  • Posted

As we fellow sufferers are well aware, this is one disease that will ever go away, and the  " CURE " is drastic.However , you have undoubtably  taken the right decision,

You will be uncomfortable for a few months ,if you have to have a bag attached .

but then , you will be free from the bane of your life,and mine. I was a whisker 

away from the op, last week, when an abcess burst,,in my colon, a lorry load

of antibiotics.cured it, so I still have the yard or so of offending colon.

So, wishing you a good outcome from your op. and no doubt we will lose a

Jacqueline

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your op. was delayed Jacqueline. Hope you get another opportunity to have it done soon.
    • Posted

OOPS ,g j, I seem to have given you a wrong impression .I did not 

have an operation delayed, I do not have to have one, because the

drugs killed the bugs ,thankfully.The only thing I have to have done.

is another colonoscopy, the short one ,

I feel really  well and obviously happy the pain has gone. 

I have just read your info about your delay, as you say ,you will

have to be a patient patient. one good thing, is the surgeon does

not regard you as urgent.

• Posted

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your situation, but I'm also very happy to hear that you are feeling so much better.
  • Posted

Went for my pre-operation assessment on Friday. Firstly loads of tests such as blood pressure and an ECG, to check that I'm fit enough to ungo surgery. Then a very though and useful consultation about the procedure with an extremely friendly and knowledgeable Matron. She really put my mind at rest about it.

The only fly in the ointment is that the surgeon has postponed the operation until next Saturday, because he has a more urgent case that he has to. See to on Wednesday. So I'll just have to be patient just a little while longer.

• Posted

Hi. I had two flare ups in 6 months and had the operation in February. Best decision I ever made, quality of life is so much better. Was in hospital 6 days after surgery and then discharged. Only thing I can say is dont expect to be feeling 100% after 6 weeks, they gave me this expectation and I was very disappointed. Realistically it takes about 6-8 months. I returned to work after 6 weeks and made myself ill. I have three teenage children and work full time and expected too much from myself. Take time to recover and take it easy with the food portions. That is one thing that has made a big difference, smaller food portions and hardly any alcohol any more (Iwould like to put a sad face here) as large portions and alcohol iritate my stomach as it seems more sensitive than before I was diagnosed. Hope this helps and good luck
    • Posted

Thank you Maggie - it's good to hear from someone who has already gone through the operation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.