Operation on Tuesday what should I expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,  at last having op on Tuesday for decompression and a look to see if anything else going on.

i work with children how quickly can I get back to work ? 

Also have any of you guys or girls had this? What should I expect ? 

Can anyone give me their experience?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Decompression is fairly straightforward and recovery uneventful. Expect to be back at work within 8 weeks.

However, if your surgeon finds something else, like a tendon tear and repairs it, your looking at a much longer recovery. I won't speculate about how much time off work you'll need, because that's down to you're own individual condition, but it could be months.

• Posted

Thank you... As I'm self employed I hope not . Lucky I have a services pension. Have you had this done ? 
  • Posted

Yes, I have had this done; I've also had other more complex shoulder things done such as I mentioned in my first post. I am currently 4 months post a very complicated rotator cuff repair and I wouldn't want to play with small children right now!

Again, I don't want to worry you, but if it needs fixing, let them fix it and don't rush back to anything. I have had these repairs retair because I have rushed the recovery and it's just not worth it.

Best of luck

• Posted

That's good advice thank you.

my family say don't sit still and that I need to take things easier, but it's easier said than done eh! 

Sorry to hear you have had the problems.

i am thinking I have hurt or damaged my rotator cuff as the pain at first was totally on line with childbirth horrific!

(I have been having trouble for over a year and a frozen shoulder on top which I know is common) 

i have had a ultra sound but chap just said there was a lot going on. 

The pain has resided a lot now still have limitations on movement and keeps me awake of an evening. I know it's going to get worse before it gets better. What helps you with the pain The most? 

• Posted

Hi Eve.  I was just thinking it's exactly five months today since my shoulder surgery.  That wal also for a SAD procedure but it transpired that I also had a rotator cuff tear, probably caused by the bone spur that needed to be done.  I followed the advice of the surgeon which for me, was no restriction of movement after but no weight bearing and gradually increasing strength exercises over the following weeks and months.  I would say I am only just getting to the point where I feel I have a significant improvement.  I have pretty much had full range of movement from day one but the pain has, I'm sorry to say, been the issue, especially at night and it is still bothersome.  I know everyone is different so you will no doubt be given specific aftercare advice.  For the first time last week, I pretty much attempted everything in the gym I would have done before; rowing, cross trainer and have progressed to 2kg weights.  Hopefully you won't have the tear issue so your recovery will be faster but as my biggest issue was not being prepared for the down time, I wish I had been prepared (Didn't drive for almost 6 weeks but consultant said at that point I could do anything I felt up to). I am pleased heeding the advice paid off, and I did have quite a few physio appointments after and I am just hoping that the night time discomfort continues to decrease.  I know lots of people take painkillers to help with sleep but as they tend to upset my stomach I try to manage without.  I didn't lift my grandchildren for about six weeks after but as I am a self employed book keeper I had very little time off from work.  Reading through this I'm not sure it's very helpful to you, but it is proof that there is light at the end of the tunnel at least.
    • Posted

Absolutely; rotator cuff repairs are painful and you won't be your old self again for a long time.

What you are able to do in the meantime is a case of taking medical advice and being sensible.

Here's hoping you don't need one :-)

• Posted

Thanks Jaycee, I suppose I will have to wait and see x I'm so bloomin impatient x
    • Posted

Thank you, I will let you know . Crossing fingers and toes wink))
  • Posted

I had this operation 3months ago. I also am doing a teacher training course which means I also need to do a placement with the local nursery school. I personally have had fibromyalgia  for 8 years which  has delayed my recovery. I am facing not being able to do various activities with the children or will not be able to lift anything heavy ie a child. The best thing is after 6weeks you should be feeling much stronger .We are all different. 
  • Posted

I think pain relief is quite personal.  Some people say ice - I actually tried that but preferred heat.  I did take strong painkillers to start with, I wasn't a hero but I was keen to move off from them as soon as I could because they mess with my head as well as my stomach.  Don't try to be brave in the early days though because you don't get any medals for it.
  • Posted

Actually, I forgot, in the first few weeks, I did use ice packs - it was only after that when it was more of a dull ache that I changed to heat - sorry, shows how quickly one forgets when they start to feel better smile
  • Posted

Well today is Thursday two days after my op and my god I feel better ! He found a shard of bone ! My rotator cuff was only frayed and I had a severe frozen shoulder, which I thought had gone ! Straight away I felt the pressure of pain had gone and I'm left with a stiff, battered and rather bruised shoulder but I slept right through last night first time in over a year! I have obviously got pain but compared to what I had this is a breeze ! Xx thank you now the exercises do hurt but on the way to recovery. I cannot thank the surgeon and his team enough , they have no idea the relief and life thaey have given me back xx good luck to everyone x
  • Posted

Omg, what a difference, they found a shard of bone sticking into my shoulder, smoothed that off, manipulated my arm as he said I has a severe frozen shoulder in which I was shocked as I had had one but it was a lot better than it had been. As soon as I woke I could feel the difference, everyone told me it was going to be very sore but compared to how it was this muscular pain is a breeze also I have so much movement I can now sleep with my hand under my head....what luxury as for the last year I have slept with it straight out if you could call it sleep that is. 

My only problem now is my other shoulder is giving me the same signs as I had with this one. I hope this helps someone as I was very worried reading up on shoulders and operations but for me it was literally a life saver x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.