opioid painkillers

Posted , 6 users are following.

i've have fibromyalgia since i was 8 years old (though symptoms started sooner, and i wasnt diagnosed until my early 20s). I've been through a lot of painkillers over the years, all the stuff they usually try for fibro, along with cocodamol, tramadol, diclofenac, naproxen and amitriptyline. However, none have really made a dent in the pain. I've done the usual stuff, back classes, pain clinics, physio etc etc. but still, no help. I realise it's a long term condition, i'm well versed on it, so it's not really this that i'm looking for help with.

my real question is how do I go about asking my doctor about stronger painkillers? I've tried over the years to ask, but mostly they just keep me on the same old ones that basically do nothing but very minor relief. I've only just discovered that some of the opoid painkillers, such as morphine, are available in the UK, and would like to see if my doctor is able to prescribe any for me. However, I'm worried that I come across like i'm just looking for drugs, like an addict or something. does anyone have any advice on this?

please be nice in your responses, i normally wouldn't post in forums like this because i'm so scared of getting berated or told i'm wasting time etc, but i'm just so desperate for help!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'll be as nice as I can, fibro since 8 yrs old....that is a tough one to understand.  I was hit with Fibro at 61 with an emotional trauma....did you go thru some type of trauma at that young age....

I use all supplements for Fibro and avoid those heavy duty drugs, nicely putting it, in my mind, they are toxic to our bodies...

Can you get on an FM alternatives healing program?   The info is out there...

Magnesium and thyroid support and Vit D are vital with FM issues....B vitamins for nerve calming...I do them all.   Sadly, the doctors only hand out drugs....or if you can get to a naturopath doctor and get off a lot of those drugs.    J  

• Posted

thanks for the reply!

not sure if i did, other than just having horrible teachers at school, but i've always had some kind of pain or depression, so it's hard to tell!

i've tried a few herbal treatments over the years, but haven't had a huge benefit from them. Tried homeopathy as well, no results there. I take a high dose multi-vit, but i guess it might not be enough.

can you recommend a particular brand/producer for the supplements? particularly the thyroid ones, since i've heard that certain thyroid issues (i've been tested, but only for the major ones) can have an effect on fibro. 

• Posted

You may have been too young to remember what triggered your fibro.

Check out herbs. Things like Blue Vervain, Kava Kava, Chamomile, Beet Root, Siberian Ginseng, Turmeric, Ginko Biloba, Valerian Root, etc all help REGULATE your metabolic system and/or organs, body's use of minerals & help calm down hyper functioning, which seems to be a theme for fibro sufferers. That includes thyroid, adrenals, blood sugar, blood pressure & your body's abilities to detoxify itself and manage stress. For example, they don't raise or lower levels unless they are off to begin with.

BUT I wouldn't try to treat, even naturally, anything without a diagnosis. There ARE contraindications to every supplement.

I definitely think you need a gentle detoxifying regiment. Grape Seed is an excellent starting point.

Controlling your stress is HUGE. Tea at bedtime, Epsom salt baths, laughing, even a relaxation brainwaves app or guided meditation will all help. Most importantly, how you see your world will affect your stress the most. I refused to admit I was 'anxious', like it was cooties or something. So don't be stubborn & ignore it. Don't be like me!! Lol My life would have been SO different if not for my ego.

• Posted

i'll look them up too! 

though the one thing about asking about them at the doctors is most of them will dismiss them as rubbish, which is unfortunate! but i will see what i can do!

i've had a real problem with stress, work, life etc. even just now, i'm off work because i've thrown my back out, and my manager is pressuring me to come back to work, even though i can barely stand and my job requires me to be on my feet a minimum of 4 hours at a time ><

i'm happy to admit my problems, but slow to deal with them ^^;

thanks for the advice! i'm="" happy="" to="" admit="" my="" problems,="" but="" slow="" to="" deal="" with="" them="" ^^;=""  thanks="" for="" the="">

i'm happy to admit my problems, but slow to deal with them ^^;

thanks for the advice!>

• Posted

That's a lot of pressure from outside and on yourself.

If you're serious about the herbs, it's way cheaper to buy them in bulk (1/2 or 1 pound) powder. I bought a 00 size capsule maker &1,000 empty kosher 00 size capsules for less than $30 to my door. I make them myself. We pay up to 10x more to pay companies to do that, plus their quality & freshness is often lower. And no preservatives doing it yourself. 

• Posted

yeah i'd get a new job if there was anyone that would hire me with my condition, but unfortunately it's unlikely.

well, i've got a few ones to try, cheaper than on the healthfood store sites, and if i feel it's doing me good, then i'll look into the capsule maker! i never eventhought about that, that's a really good idea!

• Posted

You don't have to share health information with employers.

Keep track of all jobs you apply for, interview for & results.

• Posted

I don't know how old you are now, but one doc told me MANY people have the tender points on their bodies and this is  not necessarily the fibro dx...  many say this fibro stuff is a basket full of many things gone wrong in our bodies....

Our bodies need support and thyroid is a major one.   if you could get with a alternative MD or naturopath and get you on a better path than all pain drugs....

• Posted

I've had plenty of stressors in my life and the one at 61 pushed me over the top and I believe IF my thyroid was being supported at that time, things could be different.....I'm on armour thyroid now and I'm in the U.S. and see only an integrative MD, no conventional docs for this gal.....it's been a long road, but I've done my research and work with supplements for 25 yrs.     Have stories about the drug world that turn me off big time.....J 
    • Posted

it's definitely fibro, although i do have the pain points, i have a ridiculous number of the other symptoms of it (too many to list, sadly) so at least i know it is that. though it is possible it's just the combination of the many things wrong with me that is making all the symptoms! 

it's very hard to get herbal therapies in the UK, or at least, ones you can trust. so many of them have chemicals added to them that would probably do you as much harm as the chemical drugs, so it's hard to know! but i will look into it! thanks! :D

• Posted

the  tramadol you have already  tried  is a opiod if that  doesnt help i guess the next  step is oramorph be careful all opiods are very addictive just  explain it to your  doctors same way  you have here i know some FM sufferers have oramorph doctors dont tend to think your a drug addict just for asking for better pain relieve if you were you would never have given up the tramadol
    • Posted

i knew tramadol was an opoid, but since it's not really worked for me, i figure if i go down the route of more medications, it would have to be a stronger one. I guess because of the area i live in, it's hard since they often treat patients who are drug addicts, so automatically jump to that, even though they've known me my whole life and know that's really not me!

i might look into oramorph just in case! i'm willing to try almost anything at this point!

• Posted

For starters and I don't have a lot of time right now:

500mg 2 to 3 times per day of magnesium citrate or glycinate.

(I'd bet with all the opiad med, constipation is an issue, right)

Vit D3 and K2 and if you are not in the sun, I'd bet lots of money you are deficient in D3.   

MSM powder, 1 tsp in 8 oz clean water up to 3 times per day, this MSM calms pain.....

Thyroid support is critical and I take armour which is from the US and there is a desiccated thyroid in Canada and maybe UK too called Erfa (sp)...

Tramdol did nothing for me....I take 4-6 ibuprofen per day and make sure I take DGL for stomach protection.

It's sad that the UK is so behind alternative healing....we are huge in alternative healing in the U.S.   thank goodness.....

Adrenals are also affected and need to be addressed.....again WISH you could get better help with what you deal with...and you said  you have other issues, most of us do.   Get more involved in  your healing and don't continue to mask issues with opiads and more drugs.    I could add more, but not sure you are interested.....j

• Posted

i'm lucky when it comes to the bowel stuff, at least the meds i take dont have any negative side effects, it's about the only good thing XD

i will look into all those things, it seems like a good place to start! and with all the apps you can get on phones to remind you to take stuff, it should be a bit easier now! 

thank you so much for all the advice, i really appreciate it! it's great to hear from someone who actually understands, since the doctors really dont have a clue >

• Posted

I should have added Grape Seed Extract powerful antioxidant which I've taken for 19 yrs....I never get sick.   If one takes a drug blood thinner, then can't take both of them....  I avoid MOST drugs so I don't have too many concerns with supplements for my body.

Talking to your MD about herbs etc. would be like talking to the wall, unless they are a naturopath or alternative MD.....otherwise your wasting  your breath ......

Unless you are some major drugs for a major health issue then most supps won't harm and most are needed like minerals etc.....

Go slowly with the list I've given you and start with a couple at a time....report back after you do this, IF you do any of this.   J 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.