Ordered new glasses but think there could be a problem...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 34 and have had trouble with close up vision since I was 20 (farsightedness), but fairly recently my distance vision has become a bit blurry as well. I just ordered some new glasses from a glasses store which I have never been to before. They did not retest my eyes as I already had a fairly recent prescription from my usual optometrist (R+2.75 and L+2.00), but I did mention to them that I was now having problems with my distance vision as well. I remember her telling me that she was going to do something to my lenses to help with this but can’t recall exactly what.

A few days later I noticed on the form they have ticked the box ‘Distance’ (the other 2 options are ‘Near’ or ‘Single Vision’). This confused me as although my distance vision is now a problem too, my close up vision is my biggest issue. Should they have ticked the ‘Near’ box instead? or should they have ticked both ‘Distance’ and ‘Near’? 

I did call them to check but they were quite dismissive and said it ‘should be fine’. I’m concerned that these glasses may be more catered toward distance vision and not close up. Does it really matter which of those boxes were ticked or is it really just the prescription that really matters?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am new to all of this but from what I understand a + in front of the diopters means for farsightedness. I didn’t think they just checked a box for near or far? Plus, they should have checked your eyes to get a good read on what you needed. Do you have astigmatism? That could be attributing your distance vision being blurry. I went, after 20 years, and was told I am also farsighted but my issues were more distance related. I have a lighter script than you but it seems to help near and far because there is an added script for astigmatism, except contacts. Those are no help distance wise. I’m getting that checked on Tuesday. How long has it been since your last exam?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.