Orlistat ? Just about to start taking after some advice and tips please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just been prescribed Orlistat 120mg 3 x daily. I have Rheumatoid Arthiritis and Hydredinitis Supperitiva. After a fairly straight foward surgery but with a rest period of 8 weeks (more surgery in Sept due) and prolonged steroid use I have gained 20 kilos which is proving impossible to shift. I am due to start orlistat on Monday as I am off to a wedding on Saturday and dont wont any accidents happening?! Can anyone give me tips pn taking the medication, multi vits and diets etc. Also are the side affects really that bad or if i stick to a v low fat diet should I be ok?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi KatyJane.

If you look on my profile you will see i have posted lots of helpful tips/advice on what to eat etc.

You must eat no more than 5g fat per 100g no more than 15g per meal and no more than 45g fat a day

no butter oil (apart from frylight) cheese etc basically anything over 5g per 100g or any junk

You can eat more than you imagine and remember to drink 2_ltrs of water a day as you will get bloated in the first 2 weeks.

If you HAVE to eat high fat at the wedding then do not take your tablet until monday next week as you need to come off them 3 days before you eat high fat then 3 days after eating the fattening food to allow it to get through your system to avoid the side effects.

You won't get the side effects if you eat right

The tablets do work but you have to eat right.

If you have any other questions/need advice please post back

Britney x

• Posted

if you stick to a low fat diet you will be ok, and even a little constipatedv to start with, but the key things are plenty of water (2litres at least a day) and low fat..there is lots of stuff out there, you just need to check the fat content.  Not sugar oir calorie i believe just fat. 5g per 100 g max.  A good cereal to start with is Sainsburys Wheaties, filled with either cherry, apricot, blueberries, raisins.  they have helped me a lot.  Good luck. Janice
  • Posted

Hi ladies just wanted to check as you have all been very helpful so far would you advise a fat free diet for a day or two before I start the orlistat on Monday as my lovely mum who is a practice nurse suggested it would help minimalise side effects (as she has never taken a them she suggested I actually ask someone who has)

Rgs Katy

• Posted

100% i have recommended that to people on here before it's what i did x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.