Osteoarthritis cortisone injection pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a costisone injection in my thumb and the pain is worse can any one throw any light on this please?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

They often hurt for several days and then it goes off and they work 
  • Posted

Is it possible that it depends on the doctor? Maybe some are better at giving these shots than other doctors?
  • Posted

A mix of Cortisone and anesthetic was injected directly into my joint inflamed tissue. Afterwards, the pain at the area of injection actually increased for the first week or two, and it took several weeks before the joint felt better. In my experience once the anesthetic effects wore off then the pain was more severe . I nearly jumped off the table from the pain during the injection. I would have preferred the are to be numbed first. It did finally prove ineffective in my case. I also was told that injections can only be done 3 times a year due the the side effects can actually destroy soft tissue. So back to night splints. 
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking which joint did you have the injection?

• Posted

I too had cortisone injection in my thumb joint - was the most painful experience ever at the time of the injection and it hurt like hell for weeks afterwards, much worse than the OA pain.  It eventually settled down but realistically wasnt much improved over my original pain so I decided the agony wasnt worth it and didnt get any more done.  I did however some years later have a shot in my upper arm when I had ruptured bicep tendons.  This time round the doctor numbed the area first so the injection itself didnt hurt but to be honest I didnt notice that much benefit in terms of easing the shoulder/arm pain so I'm not convinced for me personally theyre of much use.

• Posted

Hello, I too he the injections in both knees... It took 3 days to settle and was not that bad in getting done! ( I did pay pvt for ) however I kept a diary and I was pain free for 18 days which was 18 days of heaven over the last year. I am now on a raw food diet with only water and no nightshade veg. I think the western diet has a lot to do with the condition... And we are all a few pounds heavier than we like to admit maybe? Any ideas? It's a hard position to be in eating naproxen and cocodamol like sweets to continue working. 

• Posted

Hi Marine, I have to agree with you about diet etc.  I read too that nightshade vegetables inflame OA but whenever I vacation in a mediterranean country, they seem to have very little arthritis issues but their diet is packed with them - tomatoes, peppers, eggplant (aubergine) etc., are in every dish.  Pretty sure the weight problem is part of it too.  I have a friend who is very overweight and has horrible OA in both knees yet gets angry with her doctor every time he tells her that losing weight would really help.  I've ditched all meds as the side effects were getting unbearable.  I appreciate that for some people pain meds are just essential to be able to function but for me I just couldnt cope with them anymore.  I found fresh ginger helps a lot - in two ways - I grate it and mix it with hand cream or body lotion and rub into my thumb joints and it can also be grated and steeped in boiling water, strained and drunk like a tea (I cant abide the taste so I dont manage it this way).  I also found meditation helped - particularly Mindfulness.  Helps the brain to focus away from the pain.  Doesnt remove it completely but it definitely became less noticeable.  I know people with restricted mobility due to OA and pain find it hard to do any strenuous activity but exercise really is a key to improving flexibility and reducing pain - it's just a question of finding a type of exercise that is possible - swimming is perfect as the water supports weight.  I used to go during my lunch break from work about three times a week and my pain levels dropped amazingly.  Not been able to go recently due to other health problems and I notice I'm seizing up and in more pain lately.  Wish I had a house with a swimming pool in a warm climate smile problem solved!

• Posted

Completely agree, thank you. Today is a good day I think the raw diet is starting to work! No pain.:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.