Ouch

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone hope you are all feeling well on this lovely day. I am 5weeks TKR today been on a rolletcoaster done good done bad but today I feel like crying I'm in a lot of pain. Silly me decided to tackle garden before the gremlins Took up home and oh my am I in pain today. Couldn't get mower to work ( that was a warning sign to stop there and then) so used strummed. 4 hours later I decided enough was enough. I went from feign great to barely able to walk back down garden. My leg...back and hip were so painful I couldn't even sit down. Today. ..I can barely walk. Please don't do what I've done even if you feel great it's not worth it.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley. I totally get what yve said.  I'm 4 weeks post op and attempted the vacuuming and bathroom clean a week ago, such was a really silly thing to do as I literally couldn't walk at all the next day and paid for it with pain like when I came round from the op.  It's so frustrating isn't it? We have been through a major trauma to the body so suppose it will be a long while before we can just nip through the jobs we used to do.  One da at a time someone said on here.  They are right.  Chin up, rest up and perhaps only half an hour gardening nest time. X
  • Posted

You need to slow down girl.  My surgeon specifically told me no gardening or biking for Six weeks.  It's hard when we have a day we feel good to not want to get our lives back to normal.  This is a slow process healing properly.  I myself had no idea..I'm eight months post and it's only been the last three or four where I felt like I might get back to myself.  I feel I'm getting stronger all the time... There's a lot of muscles to heal and strengthen and it takes time..  
    • Posted

I think the surgeons in your country are a lot stricter than here mine said to do as much as I feel capable but to stop when my body says stop. I had hip replacement 2 years ago same kinda time of year and I can't sit doing nothing I think it's worse just sitting and swells up more too. I also drove car too so all in all a very productive day. Got some voltarol suppositories from doctor and they ate excellent. ...reduced swelling by half
  • Posted

I'm very similar, got large garden and lots to do. 

I keep overdoing it and wonder why I am in so much pain. 

I do cry, need to do things, can't sit round waiting.

so fed up, 7 weeks post op

xx

• Posted

Doing nothing can make us depressed which in turn makes pain feel worse then the anger with myself starts frustration etc then come the tears. Are you the same
  • Posted

I agree it's very frustrating not doing what we want.  I think the drs. Want us to do as much as we can, but not overdo it.  Lifting heavy things isn't good...I know this from experience.  We all have different bodies and they heal differently.  I know last summer I learned a lot of patience.  Rest helps us heal as well as exercise.  I never thought our drs are more strict, it just seems reading other posts every surgeon has their own ideas of right and wrong.  I just decided to listen to my own surgeon's advice, figuring he's obviously told me this for a reason.  I biked all winter and believe it really helped strength my leg muscles.  In Canada we don't wear the stretch stockings at all.  For me this forum has been amazing reading everyone's journeys so you know you aren't alone in your frustration.  PS..I think the British seem like they have great care, that one reason I was thrilled to find this group.
  • Posted

At the risk of sounding terrible but I think you have been so silly!  The first 8 weeks should be taken so easy.  You should be doing your physio and resting.   You heal whilst you rest.  By doing this you are putting yourself backwards, not forwards.   You will get to whatever stage you wish to be by taking it slowly.  Please just listen to your body!  I hope you feel better soon and have learnt a valuable lesson. Xx
  • Posted

To some degree I think everyone gets caught up in that feeling of the brain not listening to the body till its too late and spring and outdoor work seems to be the biggest hazards. It may be that urge to clean the house or get the garden tilled or some plants in the ground before its too late but the results are the same......uncontrollable pain and a 2 or 3 day set back. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Oh how big those little things seem when you have struggled for five weeks. Stress will make the knee tighten up. Crying helps and seems to come from nowhere - body's reaction. I drove for the first time in ten weeks got down the road hit the kerb and got a puncture! So I know how you feel.

It's so hard sometimes but log your progress. Compared to five weeks ago I am pretty good. Keep going forwards

• Posted

Oh dear. Don't beat yourself up just ice it and rest up and do some gentle stretches if you can. My lovely surgeon said its better to take your time than rush
  • Posted

Thank you. It's so reassuring being able to come on here and talk to people the same as me. Before I found this forum I felt so alone but not anymore. Just reading posts makes me realise that I am doing really well and I probably expecting far too much too soon. Has anybody noticed that their knee is a completely different shape to their other one? Leg really sore at the moment feel like crying. I have a really sharp pain down outer part of knee down the side which is what I had before surgery does anyone else have anything like that? Also when bending a stabbing type pain in back of knee
    • Posted

That is the good thing about this forum, you don't have to feel self conscious or timid about asking a question. Everyone here has been through it and tries their best to be helpful. That is the difference between here and the general population. Don't be surprised if friends, family, strangers, etc will start offering comments about the recoveries of people they have heard about or supposedly know and question why you aren't doing as well, especially if you are experiencing some difficulty in any area. It can be very frustrating and really get under your skin especially if you are already having problems with pain or sleep. Most people try to be patient but on a couple of occasions I have lost it on short order.
    • Posted

Yes I totally agree on the people so called 'offering advice' I have ended up in tears trying to explain myself having good and bad days but most of family must think I'm a robot. In fact the jokes are becoming irritating. ...new hip new knee new back...oh mum's bionic now. They truly don't understand what we go through just to try and have some slight normality in our lives. Bitten my tongue so much there's not much left of it haha
    • Posted

Lol, I agree, the people who think we should be doing better are the ones who have never had a new knee to nderstand the process.  I can think of two individuals who thought I should be healed and doing better than I was.
    • Posted

Now I am having to go through the process of trying to explain why I don't Eben have a knee, wear this big hip to ankle immobilizer, how they will go back in and install a new knee, why i have to wait so long, etc. An old friend from church stopped by and after getting the entire story said now I know why we pray for you every Sunday.
    • Posted

Ohhhhhh how that resonates with , me OFG! "You still milking it with them crutches, ha ha ha!"

"Old Fred was back at work after 6 weeks"

"Are you sure you need those painkillers?"

I feel like getting all these twits together and making them watch a You Tube of the operation!

Good job we all have each other on here, eh?!

• Posted

I have sent gory pictures of my scar and every room in the hospital haha and every procedure I have. ..still doesn't sink in their heads. My daughter all of a sudden developed a sore hip . .Guess that's me fully recovered in their eyes. Heha
    • Posted

Sounds like my husband his knee is now hurting - I shall poke him later to see if it still hurts lol
    • Posted

Lol my husband went to his first training session of the season (cricket) yesterday evening, this morning her got up and was "ooh I think I over did the knee stretches, it's really sore today...."

I invited him to sit down with me so we could could compare ....he suddenly felt much better and legged it to work 😼

• Posted

Is it me or does it make ypu feel bitter when someone complains of having a sore leg? Daughter said she had a really bad leg with a massive bruise on it...haha the bruise was the size of a 10p coin. Us toughies aren't allowed any more than a few weeks out, we have to battle on just like having babies we are expected to perform like robots

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.