out of boot but cant move cos ankle is stiff

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please I will be very grateful if I can get any good suggestions on how to walk as I have just come out of boot and my ankle is stiff, I have requested for appointment for physio, I was told I will get a letter by post but might take 2 weeks plus, I am eager to be on my feet as I need to get back to work asap, also, my feet swells at any little movement weight bearing, any suggestions please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am also just out of the boot ( my decision as it was getting so uncomfortable) and the ankle is very stiff. I can't roll into the toes at all; just walk very flat-footed so not sure if that is helping. I do a lot of stretching of the ankle;  wiggling it from side to side and up and down. That is helping somewhat. I see a PT today and will let you know what she says. Perhaps we are both out of the boot too soon?
  • Posted

Forgot to add; I have a lot  of swelling of the whole leg up to the knee. The leg and especially the calf muscle is huge. Not sure if all this swelling is normal.
  • Posted

Hi Abigail, I was lucky enough to start physio just 2 days after my cast was off and whilst boot was still on.  The 1st exercises the physio had me doing was to face a wall with my toes up to the skirting board, and good leg just behind the bad leg and try and get my knee to touch the wall .... you won't get anywhere near for the first week or so but it's amazing how much progress you make.  I had/have to do this 10 times and build it up.  Another exercise I had to do was sit up straight with the bad leg laid across my good thigh and gently pull my toes to a point (I don't think this is probably a good description!!)  I then had to just keep moving my ankle in a clock work position 10 times and then anti clockwise 10 times and I did this several times throughout the day.  

http://www.leicspart.nhs.uk/Library/71Physiotherapyfollowingananklefracture.pdf

I have tried to enclose a link I found which was quite helpful as well.  if it doesn't work google some angle exercises, there are several good PDF's that show you what to do at what stage of your recovery. I broke and disclocated my ankle on the 10th September last year and several plates and screws later I am walking fine (still in flat shoes though!) and even managed a gentle jog  acros the road the other day .. it is slow progress but you do get there just keep the ankle moving as much as you can as often as you can. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks a lot Sally for the info, its really rich and encouraging, I wish I can get physio appointment fast enough. But I will start gradually on my own .
  • Posted

Hi Abigail

I was like you last Tuesday after my cast was removed and could hardly move my foot.  My consultant said I needed urgent physio and I got the first of weekly sessions last Friday.

I have been given 5 different exercises. 

1. roll a towel lengthwise, put it under your foot and raise the leg and stretch the foot away from you. 3 times

2. Sit and move ankle up and down. Do that 20 times but was told to start with 10 times.

3. Sit  or lie down, bend and straighten your ankle gradually 20 times

4. Roll your foot around on a football for 5 minutes

5  I was given a 2 inch wide long elastic exercise band. Sit on a chair, put the exercise band around your foot, point your toes towards the floor and slowly return to starting position. 20 times

These exercies to be done 5 times a day between elevating, icing and resting the ankle.

I hope this is useful for you. I put only a small amount of weight on my ankle when using crutches.  it does hurt but I am very slowly getting movement back in less than a week.  It cannot be rushed otherwise the foot swells, hurts and cannot be used.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this information, its really helpful and I will be mindful of not rushing things, just that am off work 3+ months now.
  • Posted

Some good exercises for ankles on utube. I am now around 16weeks and ankle still so tight. I have though noticed a slight improvement over last few weeks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.