Ovarian cyst

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I'm 31 and have had a severe bloated stomach for about 2 months now and a sort of cramp feeling mainly at the top half of my stomach underneath my breasts. the top half of my stomach that is so bloated and hard as a rock. Went to my GP told me it was IBS and to try taking buscupan for 2 weeks. Took for a week and nothing. Was changing so went back to my GP and was referred to the nurse. She checked my stomach took blood and urine samples. Bloods came back fine. Took pregnancy test which was negative and has my period as normal. Then was referred for an ultrasound and all they said was there was a lot of fluid in my stomach. So was then referred back to my GP and was told that they had a consultant have another look at my ultrasound images and said was a 13cm cyst and as I was in alittle bit of pain was prescribed some codeine. So had more bloods taken for the CA125 which came back all normal but my GP still referred my to the hospital. So I met with the gynaecology team this week and they are booking me in for a ct scan within the next 3 weeks. When I asked the consultant about the cyst he said he wasn't sure as the ultrasound was very vague. Then on Friday I woke up and had severe pain on the right side on my stomach, called the docs and was told I might jus be having some a flar up and to continue taking the codeine. This was in the afternoon and by late afternoon I couldn't take the pain anymore it was like a tight cramping that came in waves on the right side on the upper stomach and was sent home from work. Went back in for a emergency app with my GP who felt my stomach and said he will prescribe me some stronger painkillers (tramadol) and if the pain had not decreased by 10pm that eve to go to a+e. The pain isnt as bad and my tummy still feels sore so I'm jus waiting on the ct scan

Apologies for the essay just wanted to know if anyone has had the same thing, as people I know who have had ovarian cysts have had lower abdomen pains and not the pains so high up!!

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, glad youve finally got a ct scan, fortunately mine was discovered this way

during a hospital visit for unrelated symptoms but once i knew mine was there, the pain got worse and my abdomen was burning as though the ovary was being twisted.

I have just had a 10 x 8cm dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary (New Years Eve spent on the operating table woohoo!). The wonderful (NHS) surgeon warned that it was unlikely she would be able to salvage the ovary, so I was delighted to learn soon after coming around, that she'd saved it-particularly as I'm only 22.

I came around from my surgery just after 6pm and by morning had started walking, washing and able to urinate without the need of a catheter.

Everyone I know in the medical profession (including my auntie who is an experienced midwife) has said the same about remobilising quickly to recover sooner which is absolutely true (push through the initial discomfort but dont overdo it)!

Dont worry about the surgery (mine was open with a bikini incision)

! I am however in AGONY with gas pressure in my shoulders and ribs which has reduced me to tears this evening. This isn't a post-surgery thing that they warn you about! The only thing other than moving around which I've found to help is the peppermint tea.

Good luck to future patients- as someone with crippling anxiety I expected this experience to be a lot worse than it actually was xx

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I'm so pleased that they were able to save your ovary as this is a major worry I have for myself, but it might be something that has to be done to stop this pain!

I have similar burning pains which on the left and right side of my stomach but higher up underneath my breasts and in the middle which is odd!!

Hope you have a speedy recovery and thanks for the peppermint tea tip, will bare that in mind xx

Happy new year everyone xx

• Posted

Hey all,

Just wanted to give you all an update! So on thurs last week was in agony with my stomach it took my an hour to get out of bed to go to the toilet. In the mornin I went into a&e although the pain has calmed down I started to bleed so thought best to go get checked.

It got to Sunday and was still in hospital and they were going to send me home as the pain has decreased and then book me in for the operation to remove the cyst within 10days but luckily they decided to do the operation on Sunday within half a hour I was all set up and ready to go into theatre (absolutely terrified but in a way was good as didn't have the chance to worry about it)

Operation went well they removed a 36cm cyst which weighed 15kg which contained 16litres of fluid, they also has to remove my right ovary but this shouldn't effect getting pregnant and my periods etc!!

I've come home today and feeling little sore and overwhelmed but so glad it is out and I can now concentrate on getting better!!

Hope everyone is doing ok!! Xx

• Posted

Oh wow that's brilliant news they didn't waste time and sounds massive hope your ok and resting up just think summer you'll be as fit as a fiddle xx
  • Posted

Hi, just wanted to ask how they actually removed it...l have a large cystadenoma. It was28cm x 24cm x20cm when they found it mid January by ultrasound,  but that was seven weeks ago. I had an MRI mid February, and they said it had grown again between the ultrasound and MRI. Not sure how big it is now but I am uncomfortable most of the time. My abdomen is enormous, even when I lay on my back, it just stays there round and very hard! It is affecting my sleeping and breathing, and I get chest pains. My GP has prescribed cocodamol for pain relief.

I do have a date for surgery in three and a half weeks, but I am worried how they will actually do the operation with it being so large. 

I haven't found anyone on here other than you with one so large. I have also read that when they become so large they can fuse to organs. I just wish there was more of a sense of urgency. I worry how

I will get through the next few weeks. Everyday is hard. Any advice?

• Posted

Hey there!

I'm 18 and I'm at the hospital recovering from a paraovarian cyst surgery. It was 6cm and it caused me pain in my stomach, also bloating, sore breasts, and overall made me feel like I couldn't live my life the way I wanted.

I went to many appoinments in hopes for opinions, wether I should have surgery or leave it there. I waited 7 months for it to go away and it was horrible because it wouldnt go away and I was in physical and emotional pain. It finally came the day when my gyno said I would have to remove it and I felt both scared and relieved. Yesterday I came to the hospital and was so nervous I couldn't stop sobbing. I went into the surgery room sobbing and then woke up also sobbing in the recovery room. All I could say was "am I okay" "where are my parents" "what time is it". Then I was taken to the hospital bedroom and here I am. It's the day after and I've been resting. Pain is bearable and I had sickness the whole day yesterday, couldn't eat at all and was groggy. Now I just had breakfast and I'm still a bit sick but not to the point of vomiting. Belly is obviously swollen and it hurts from the cuts but I'm able to get up and walk, and it's recommended.

I hope everything turns out great for you, and have surgery if you need to. I was so sad and nervous but now I'm so relieved I'm not in pain and don't have the cyst inside of me.

Best of luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.