Ovarian cyst worries

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all, I've been looking at this forum for a week now after being told following an ultrasound scan I have a7cm ovarian cyst.  I'm 40 years old so premenopausal. I don't have any symptoms apart from some pain and thought I would get it checked. My dr could feel what he thought was possibly a fibroid.  Because i had some pain he referred for an Ultra scan which I had a week later. The results showed the cyst which had a little blood inside. The DR decided to get a gynaecologist appointment which I have had today and asked me to go for blood test. The gynaecologist done an internal and said the cyst doesn't feel like a normal functional one and is possibly attached to something else as well as the ovary. The blood results show slightly elevated count but he didn't seem concerned by this because he said that can show possible endometriosis and pelvic inflammation! As you can imagine I've read the internet and driving myself crazy. Just wanted to know if what is being done is normal and to hear from anyone who has been through a similar situation. I will say I have no symptoms at all now the pain lasted a couple of days but I see lots of you do suffer with which must be terrible. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i didn't have any pain or symptoms. I went to GP with what I thought was a reoccurring urine infection and mentioned night sweats (I was 45). Nurse at surgery decided to do a routine smear and health check when she said she could feel a lump. Internal ultrasound and MRI scan indicated fibroid. Never knew the blood test levels but I'm guessing they weren't a worry although no one would say for sure until ovaries tested after removal.

i had an open procedure 8 weeks ago to remove both ovaries and Fallopian tubes, had both removed rather than have to have 2nd surgery if lump was not benign.

try not to worry, I know it's the not knowing that makes it hard and send your imagination into overdrive. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Jane what was your surgery like as I go on Jan 27th for EITHER a laparoscopy or hysterectomy. I've got 2 cysts one on each ovary 5cm and 8cm in size. Blood was normal 27 (normal is 35 ) Ct scan showed no spread of anything in rest of body (phew!!) I gather your lump was benign,thank goodness xx
    • Posted

The plan changed for my surgery as it was planned as keyhole, laparoscopy but as I had a mass which was 7cms this could not be removed through keyhole so on the day discovered I was having laparotomy.I had a 6" incision along bikini line to have mass removed. I woke up with a catheter fitted (which meant I didn't have to get out of bed until the morning after surgery). I had an over night stay and was discharged the following afternoon. I have been up and about every day since the surgery. The physio gave me a 12 week plan for returning to activities such as shopping, chores and exercise. I'm now 8 weeks into 12 week plan.

I was premenopausal as I'm 46 so have hit menopause a bit hard but doing OK.

I hope whichever option you go for works out well for you, I had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed just in case mass was cancerous but I'm pleased to report mass was benign and at least I don't have to worry about something else growing in the future!

Good luck, wishing you well x

• Posted

Hi Jane, Thanks so much for that very useful information. I had forgotten there is also a laparotomy,which I think would be a better alternative than a hysterectomy? I'm so glad you are recovering,but you sound like you wouldn't sit around but be active in your own recovery. I'm glad it was benign- what a relief ! Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and thanks again . Will update when I know more xx
    • Posted

Hi Jane- just an update. I had a laparostic hysterectomy on Tues this week I can't praise the NHS enough. I couldn't have had any better care. The surgeon and his team all came to see me and said it couldn't have gone any better. I feel my results will be benign as he said he saw nothing that worried him .My blood was 27 ( normal is 35) and CT scan showed no fluids in abdomen or any spread to rest of body. Day 1 went smoothly as you wake up in a blissful morphine haze ! Day 2 I felt good and was walking about,making tea when i wanted,but resting in between. I'm wearing dark green stockings to stop DVT for 6 weeks but hey ho that's a small price to pay. Day 3 a bit tearful,in pain and realising what a big operation I've had,scar is stapled from button to just above pubic hair,very neat. Came homeYyeay !Day 4 today-after some good sleeps feeling great . Will continue with physios good advice to get back to normal. xx
    • Posted

Glad everything went well. Green stockings must be this seasons colour, mine were green smile although I only wore mine for the first week until I was up and around.

be sure to rest and follow physion advice, it can feel like a long haul but I'm glad I listened to all the advice I had as I think my recovery has been trouble free.

take care of yourself and keep us updated. Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa- I know what you're going through. On Dec 11th a day after an ultrasound scan (for cystitis which had cleared up 2 months earlier) Doctor phoned to say I had enlarged ovary. Then had another ultrasound with gynaecologist,then a CT scan

( on Xmas Eve) showing 2 ovarian cysts 5cm and 8 cms. I was told they must come out.I feel absolutely fine so have been living in this mad,scary world for 5 weeks! No-one knows what it's like until they've gone through it.Yesterday saw a Gynaecological Oncologist- that name scared me!  Because CT scan showed nothing in rest of body(cancer) and no fluid in abdomen and blood was 27-normal is 35 I felt bit better but  he said he has to  treat it as tho I MIGHT have cancer cos he can't tell without a biopsy(laparoscopy) or a hysterectomy on Jan 27th. I feel so much better today as before yesterday it was a DEFINITE hysterectomy and altho I have friends who have got thro one OK I would have a much quicker recovery with the keyhole surgery.I am a fit 74 yr old but in that post menopausal age group most at risk of ov cancer. You are much younger and of course will be treated differently as you have different results. I just want you to know I feel for what you're going thro but the dark days do pass and in a few days/weeks it should all be sorted for you. Take care,keep in touch and good luck xx

• Posted

Hi ladies thank you for your replies. You have both been through so much. Glad to hear jane2014 you have the all clear and sylvia71047 I'm hoping all goes well with you. The gynaecologist did say today that by the feel of the cyst it doesn't feel sinister and the chance  of it being nasty is very slim. You just read so much on the Internet its scary. Just worried because bloods were up but to be honest he wouldn't have mentioned them,  it was only me asking him as I was about to leave that he told me.

Thanks again.xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I was diagnosed with 2cysts, one on each side in Aug after a sudden and prolonged pain on my right hand side. Although the one on the left was largest at 8 cm, both were removed by keyhole just before Christmas. Both cysts were stuck to Fallopian tubes and these were removed along with cysts, kept ovaries. Cysts were also adhered to bowel and uterus, surgeon was able to separate both successfully. When I first met consultant he wanted to remove ovaries too and I resisted this as also premenopausal, my Gp suggested that this may be cause it appeared an easier solution. I don't think they can really know until they get inside and look properly!

I went back to my Gp to ask questions based on what I learnt on line as everyone is different and need to understand what is important to you. I spent hours wrestling with  the whole situation and trying to understand. Hope all goes well for you, keep asking questions on the forum, found it really helped me.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear about your experiences. What are they suggesting they do for you?

This is my first time on this forum - went to see the gynaecologist today - had scans in November & December which showed a small cyst on my right ovary. Was really shocked that they recommended it being removed as it's only 2.5cm but it's apparently a complex one and looks as though it's been bleeding in on itself. (?) I felt they had found it by chance on the ultrasound as my pelvic pain had been on the left side - apparently I've also got some fibroids and some possible endometriosis for good measure! My symptoms don't seem anywhere near as bad as they were so I said I was really keen to avoid surgery so they have agreed to monitor me again in 4 months with repeat blood test, scan and appointment.  I do feel uneasy now though, I'm worried by it being referred to as highly suspicious and although they said my risk was low (i'm also 40 and no family history, otherwise fit & well) my husband thought I was daft to ask for more time before any thing is done about it. It just seems so quick though to have to have surgery and scared by them saying they would have to remove the ovary too as the cyst is too small to take away on its own. Anyone else had a complex cyst that went away of it's own accord or am I wishing for the moon?

• Posted

I have the same thing on my right ovary. It is 4cm. My left ovary is the one that hurts all the time. I will b having surgery Friday to remove my left ovary and tube. I'm still torn about right one. They will remove cyst but if they take both ovaries then menopause will start. I'm only 34 but dnt want more kids I have four already.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this Amber sad  Are they taking the left ovary out because of your pain? Understand what you mean about the menopause, these decisions are difficult to make. I dont want anymore children but I dont want to lose an ovary unneccessarily . Have they given you an indication of recovery time? Hope all goes well for you.
    • Posted

Thank u. My left ovary has hurt and got cysts off and on all the time. They said it's four times as big as the other one. My right has a cyst now. It doesn't hurt but the cyst is complex and bled into its self. Dr doesn't want to take right one cuz I will hit menopause right away. He wants to remove cyst only o that one. I figure y take chance of more cysts and just take it too. He told me to think on it and let him know before surgery tomorrow. I just dnt want to do the wrong thing. He says recovery will depend on me. He said no work for at least two weeks. That sucks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.