Ovaries out!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im due to have my ovaries out in a few weeks, I have chose to have this done due to family history, i wasn't offered a genetic test and went for ovarian screening. I decided that i didnt want this anymore and preferred to have them removed. Has anyone any advice on what to expect before and after this is done, i am alittle worried about having an operation

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had left ovary removed due to endometriosis. It went well. They use keyhole surgery so it wasn't too painful and recovery was quick. I still have other ovary so I can't comment on the hormonal side of things but I expect you will be given hormone therapy while you adjust. All the best with it.
    • Posted

Thanks Laura for your reply, yes key hole surgery hopefully will make recovery quicker thanks for your feedback
  • Posted

Hi pink at fairy. If you have both of your ovaries removed, you will go straight into early menopause. Angelina Jolie had hers removed too. If you google, what you are asking, you will get peace of mind answers okay.

I had a right ovary taken away, due to a aggressive cyst. I was only 19! Scary.

But long since then had 3 children.

But it does take away the scare of developing cancer,if it's in your family.

That's why angelina Jolie had surgery herself.

All the best Liz x🌺

• Posted

Dear Liz,

Thanks for your reply and your story, so glad it didn't affect you having children, thankfully i had two lovely children and at 51 have had my child bearing years so my decision was quite easy. X

• Posted

Hi there!

Glad you had children too.

I think it is easier, as we get a bit older, in terms of removing our (bits)

When we had our children, it's a much easier decision.

But yes it will make your hormones go all over the place, but at least you will have that peace of mind too.

That you will be better off health wise, to get rid of something that is not needed now, and causing you a lot of trouble probably in the future.

But then again, you might be okay too. Not necessarily you would get any problems. But if that's how you really feel go with what you feel to do in your heart.

All the best Liz 🌺😊X

• Posted

Dear Elizabeth thanks for your reply, yes it did make the decision easier by me having children, yes like you said i might be ok but it is the not knowing.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.