Over 4 weeks on mirtazipine, feel worse, can't change meds again. Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, so I've been on 30mg mirtazapine for about 3 weeks now, 15g for about 3 weeks before that.  Previously I was on fluoxitine for about 2 months but my mood got really bad.  Sertraline for a few months before that, had to switch as I wasn't sleeping and my muscle clenching was intolerable.  My mood is terrible.  I feel worse every day, I think about suicide constantly and I've tried to hurt myself.  My question is, has anyone been on mirtazapine for this long with no improvement?  Obviously as I've switched meds a few times already I want to give this the best possible chance before starting again.  I don't think I can face more withdrawals and more dodgy first week bad come-ups.  Another thing is I still seem to be withdrawing from the SSRIs?  I've had the "brain zaps" for about 2 months, they aren't lessening at all and make me pretty much constantly dizzy.  I don't want to bring this up to my GP unless it's really unusual and I don't know if I should be worried.  Any opinions/experiences welcome, I'm seriously struggling. I also see a counsellor once a week, about 2 months into my second round of sessions in the last 2 years. 

1 like, 19 replies

Report / Delete

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I had been on SSRI's and SNRI's and was eventually put on Mirtazapine and gave it time to see how I was and found it to be ok. I have been on it about 2 years now.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't know when it started to work initially but it does seem to help me long term. I can see from your post that you are struggling to find the right one for you so I would suggest trying it a little longer and see if it helps.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi.... I was on sertaline and had to give it up cos was having really bad sweats. So went onto mirtazapine. Quickly got up to 45mg and really didn't feel any improvement at all. Felt anxious and very irritated and my mood felt worse. Eventually started another antidepressant along side it duloxetine. So after months I am reducing mirtazapine and increasing duloxetine. I really didn't like it at all. Increase of appetite at nite and many people on here has had weight increase!!! I know everybody different. But go with your gut instinct. If u already feel it's not working maybe look at another one. It's so hard swapping and changing and I have been where u are. It's tuff!!!! The only plus side from it..... No sweats and very good sleep. Apart from that it just didn't do anything for me. Hope you find a solution soon. X
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aw god I forgot about the sweats! Yeah they were horrendous, its good being rid of them and getting a decent sleep but apart from that I feel like I may as well not be on anything. But you know what its like feeling like every time you go to the docs its another moan about how nothings working for you... they end up exasperated and you feel like a pest. I know its not working but im just holding off going back. Thanks for the advice its always good to know you aren't the only one smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah I was on mirtazipine and made me feel so ill and lethargic did nothing for my anxiety and depression only made it worse so I was put on duloxetine too.I'm on day 7 on it are you getting on with it ? And what dose are you on ? I can't find anybody on this thanks for your time 🌷
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi..... I checked my diary for you. I started may 17th on 30mg whilst being on 45mg of mirtazapine. It was a slow process as I had mixed and changed meds. But definitely felt a change and started picking up once the duloxetine was getting in my system. Then increased it to 60 mg about a month later. And kept picking up and feeling much better. I hated the mirtazapine. By now on 45mg was experiencing terrible urge for eating at night just couldn't stop. Was driving me mad and restless legs at night just before I got to sleep. So I now have been reducing mirtazapine slowly and increasing duloxetine. At present 15mg of mirtazapine and 120mg of duloxetine. Got to say feeling alot better. The urge to eat has calmed down too. Sleep was a bit dodgy coming down from 30 - 15 mg but only lasted a few days. Got to say if duloxetine hadn't been added to the equation I think I would still b at rock bottom. The mirtazapine was rubbish for me just wasn't working. Just felt dreadful. So I wud say stick with it. It's helped me loads. A long stint on sertaline before all this was great for my moods but the sweating was awful. It wud just be dripping of my face. Had to walk around with a flannel!!!!!! Not very sexy lol!!! Which is why I started this journey which started last September. So feeling pretty good on duloxetine. I get the odd sweat. But nothing like on sertaline. My aim is too get of the 15mg of mirtazapine and just stick with duloxetine. I hope they work for you. Try to stay positive and give them a bit of time. But overall would say they are much better than mirtazapine!!!!! Hope you are feeling in a better place soon. Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sarah thank you so much for taking the timeout to reply 😁 I went up to 45mg on mirtazipine I felt fat angry depressed my anxiety sky high I felt I was on the verge of another break down like you said it only everhelped me sleep I cut down gradually over a month and half then stopped and straight onto duloxetine been have bad withdrawal symptoms had about 4 hours sleep in the last 7 days just got to wait till my brain adjustes to all this but today I actually feel a little better it's still early days and I'm going to stick this one out

I really appreciate you replying thanks again I wish you all the best 😁💐

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are not alone hun. Made me feel exactly the same. Felt like constant pmt X 10!!!! I hope you get some sleep soon. It's all so dreadful. Dnt think anybody really understands unless you hav been there. And being exhausted and just needing some nice relaxing sleep is the worst. Am sure when your chemicals start balancing a bit more you will start sleeping again. Hang in there. Try inhaling sum good lavender oil. And burning a quality lavender candle. Light it in your bedroom for a cpl hours before you go to bed. And a nice hot water bottle and try and get coochy. Hope things settle for u soon. :-) xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Definitely agree if you haven't been there you can't understand I will try what you have suggested sleep is the only time you can escape this hideousness and not having that escape is a living hell .

Only question does this effect your sex drive?

most of the other meds have I'm hoping for this won't 😁 xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's a tough one lol. Cos I am still taking both. Is it mirtazapine or is it duloxetine? I have certainly felt alot more normal with the duloxetine. Can't say I felt very sexy at all with the mirtazapine!!!! More like I wanted to punch sumone!!!! Am hoping as I get better n feel gud about myself that will all return to normal. Certainly can't b any worse than the mirtazapine!!!! Strange how we felt so awful and other people feel great on it. I was in such a bad place that just feeling normal and human again was such a God send that worrying about my sex drive was far from my mind at the time lol. But hoping it will all slot into place again. Definitely better now I hav reduced mirtazapine. xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

venlafaxine has killed mine for years, and having the mirt with it doesn't improve it at all, though I've heard that mirt doesn't hurt sex drive.  I tried to go off of ven last year because I was tired of having no drive and low ability to enjoy sex for much of my adult life!  We women can fake it with our partners, but it really sucks to actually dread sex because of how laborious it is for little reward on ven!   However, I went thorugh WD hell, not realizing it, and ended up back on.  Now I am trying to slow taper off.  Hard to be patient!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was on venlafaxine but it wasn't. working enough so psychiatrist added on mirtazapine as well. I've been happy on the combination for several years. Just a suggestion for something else you could try. When I told the psychiatrist the venlafaxine wasn't working I was afraid he would tell me to stop it before I started something else, so I was relieved when he added on something else so I didn't have to go through any withdrawal symptoms.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up