Over done it.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am in my 7 th week post Tkr. Am 78. I went to the PT yesterday & he seemed quite pleased with me but always makes me feel I don't put enough into my exercising. I'm g My bend is 105 , he asked how much I walked & I had to confess @ 20 minutes he said I needed to do twice that SO this morning I went off for one HOUR ,since I came home my knee has been 'burning hot' even tho I have ice on it. Help !!!! Have I caused a set back & yet another sleepless night to come. It feels hopeless.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Eileen, I did something stupid also. My Ortho Surgeon told me to lower the seat of my stationery bike to give me more bend. I lowered it 2 notches & went around for 5 minutes. then I got off, I had such pain, which has lasted now for 2 days. I think we are trying too hard to get well and doing just the opposite. The pain I am having feels so weird on the outside of my knee. Feels like a metal rod which is getting in the way of my bend, I am having a really bad day with depression & wondering if I will ever be feeling normal. I have to shake this off, I know & I will.I have never gone through something as hard as this in my life  Unfortunately, we are all in the same boat. Hope you start to feel better Eileen, I love this forum it is a lifesaver!

• Posted

Oh Dolores I am so sorry you've also over  done it. When you feel good & PT tells you to up exercise we DO try too hard. I have been told by over doing it we cannot cause damage, it just hurts like mad  I'm on my 2 nd day since I went on my too long a walk & my knee stil feels so extremely stiff. Though after not sleeping hardly at all the first night it was much better the 2nd night. When you've over done it I think it takes a few days to recover , I've really just been resting as much as I can with ice on & doing very easy & gentle exercises to keep it moving. I really hope that you will soon feel better, I'm sure it's just time,rest & ice. the constant pain & sleepless nights do get to you & we have good days & bad. We WILL get over  this ,here  in the UK it's Spring the flowers are coming out the days are longer & by Summer we will be well on the , keep your chin up ,I agree that his thread is brilliant, so much info & genuine concern from fellow sufferers who know exactly what it's like. Take care, feel better soon x

• Posted

Thank you Eileen the same to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.