Over using Imodium?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone - need some help sad 

I’ve suffered with IBS for years, diet, stress, anxiety any sort of change in plan/life style I get an insanely bad stomach. Can last for days on end. To top it off I also have a real anxiety about using bathrooms. I have about 3 toilets I can use comfortably without freaking out.  If I’m going anywhere where one of those toilets is out of reach, I take Imodium, I know it’s bad and it leaves me feeling crap for days buts it’s the only thing I know will stop me needing the toilet! I’m taking it about 3 times a week at the moment (even when my stomach is fine) just to prevent it. 

Any help would be much appreciated I’m feeling so stuck sad 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would only take Imodium if you are having multiple bowel movements or diarrhoea.  When your stomach is fine, stop taking it.  You don't want to stop going entirely and give yourself constipation which will cause more problems.  It is important to let your bowel move to release waste products from your body.

• Posted

I worry though if I don’t take it and then I go somewhere and get diarrhoea. That’s the part I struggle with as I really can’t use other people’s toilets it’s sort of a safety net x
    • Posted

To conquer the fear of using other people’s toilets, simply buy a special sheet from your chemist which covers the toilet seat so you don’t have to sit on the bare china if hygiene is the source of your worry.  You could also take a hand sanitizer with you. Put some on the toilet paper and wipe the toilet seat with it.

Also speak to your doctor about this fear because it has taken over your life and is triggering your IBS. Your doctor will be able to give you coping strategies to help with this.  You shouldn’t try to suppress bowel movements unless you have to in the case of diarrhoea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.