Over weight

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm worried. I have my ultra sound scan on Tuesday to confirm I have gall stones but I am worried that as I am about 4 stone over weight they might not want to operate on me. Are any of the ladies who have posted about their ops over weight and did their doctors have any problems with this? Also, I've cut out all the fat from my diet but I don't seem to be losing very much weight. Is this normal? Perhaps all the wind I am experiencing (up and down ) weighs alot !!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi mandy jane

I was about four stone overweight when I had my ultrasound, and I never had a problem. I don't know if they have told you but I could not eat or drink anything before I had it done as that can cause problems with viewing the results. I am sure you will lose weight if you are following a fat free diet - I have dropped three and a half stone now 3 months later and I know what you mean about the wind :lol:

Benji

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Benji - I feel a bit better now! My appointment is at 12.00 noon and I've been told not to eat anything for 6 hours beforehand so no breakfast for me that day !
  • Posted

I was diagnosed last year and told in no uncertain terms that my doc will not put me on the waiting list until I have a BMI of less than 25! So I have a bit of a way to go. But 2 stn down and still fighting.

I can see the point, increased risks etc but if they can fit gastric bands etc on people who are over weight why not get rid of something that could affect our kidneys & pancreas?

In the meantime I have to put up with the pain and vomiting (a bit like enforced bulemia at times). Getting very fed up and depressed but just have to lose the weight.

In pain most of the time but..........

I may be fat but I am also 6ft 3 ins so it is well spread out! Had ECG etc and know heart and lungs are perfectly fine but still too fat to operate on.

• Posted

i spent 6 months waiting for surgery and went from a size 18-20 to a 10-12 before surgery - it was the only diet i could easily stick to as cheating was not an option as even hallf a mars bar would have me throwing up half the night. good luck loosing wieght for your op - stick to low fat foods as you will feel better (less pain and atacks ) and will loose a bit of wieght.

you will get slimmer for your surgery as you will feel better with lower fat foods when they cause less pain and suffering - try to eat lots of fruit and veg and minimise intake of red meat, dairy and processed foods - by eating a good range of healthier foods you will also be helping your ability to heal after surgery .. you can make your own home made dishes in bulk and freeze in individual portions to build up a stock of your own healthy frozen meals that just need defrosting and heating to save fiddly food prep each day.

good luck to all trying to loose weight for surgery.

vix

• Posted

Hi Vixen

I know what you mean about being able to stick to your diet - when I have tried to lose weight in the past I would always cheat you know bag of crisps here, a biscuit there people say to me now aren't you good at sticking rigidly to your diet, I try and explain that yes i am because if i am not i will probably end up in casualty! i suppose every cloud has a silver lining as i am now i a size 12 smile Can you tell me Vixen did you put any weight on after your op as i have now chucked all my old clothes out 8) :wink:

Benji

• Posted

Hi Vixen, Benji,

you are both right. The GS attacks do help you lose weight but it is an extreme way to go.

So I am sticking with the low fat diet and the weight loss drugs. 2 stone down 4 or 5 to go! 1 dress size down!

Lelly xx

• Posted

hi benji , yes i did put some of the weight back on after surgery - not initially(put a few pounds on in the first 6 months but i needed too) but i did get complacent with the fact that i could eat and drink everything - after having no fat for 6 months plus - my body began to build up fat stores.. i was walking over 5 miles a day to work before and after surgery - but had to slow down 12 months later when i developed a large hernia which meant walking that distance caused me pain.. again after the 2nd surgery i was unable to do as much activity and am only just getting back to walking 9 months after surgery (i am still unable to lift much) - i would like to start swimming again but need to build up my abdo muscles which have gone to pot since my hernia repair first - i am bigger than before my gall bladder op but no where near as big as i was and now i have my further issues healed i am now in a better place to address the weight gain... but slower and more natrally than the gall stone method.

vix

• Posted

Hi vixen. You don't seem to have had a good time of it. I saw on the TV recently that keyhole surgery through the navel can cause a hernia. I do hope not as I have already had a large hernia on my navel operated on in 1997 and I don't want that again. You will always have to take care after your hernia op so don't get too ambitious!

Am progressing ok after recent op but being careful what I eat. I don't want to put too much weight back on as I threw most of my 'big' clothes away and I like being this size anyway. Need to lose more but I actually don't look so good in the face as I did when I was bigger. Look older.

Having a more varied diet but not able to eat just anything. Could be that I still have a hiatus hernia and Barrett's so it's trial and error.

• Posted

unfortunatly i had an open conversion with my GB op - had healing problems and had to move house 3 months later - due to problems with house purchase that occured after i had given notice on my rental property i had to move back 'home' and then move to my new house 10 weeks later.. moved twice in 3 months!! lifting did not help - and suture was not gold standard as i was in a cottage hospital that only did day surgery and elderly care and was not set up for major surgery!! i live in glos and 5 months after being in my new home we had floods - garden only in my property but those nearer the river were flooded out - 15 days without water, everything had to be carried - all and flushing water was carried (10l at a time) and bottled water was provided in cases still had to be collected and carried into the house!! who knows wether my problems were caused by suture failier (took 10 weeks to heal externally) or the heavy lifting ( moving or cases of water, sometimes glass bottles) just one of those things!!

unfortunatly the circumstances surrounding my surgery and and the unsual lifestye issues in the following year were not normal and caused me further problems - its just life!! all well now though - dont worry my circumstances were exterem and unusual in all cases.

• Posted

also as i moved all my bigger clothes were sent to the charity shop - so as not to move them - i have a large collection of clothes i moved with (currently too small) and only a capsule wardrobe of clothes that fit, as they are only a tempory stop gap!! i will get back into the smaller clothes!!!
  • Posted

Well the enforced low fat diet plus the orlistat tabs are working. 19lbs down and more to come!!!

I do agree, it is much easier to stick to low fat when you know the consequences. I would love a batg of crisps but.....

And my very favourite (and total no-no) a brie and tomato baguette. Brie is the 1 thing 100% guaranteed to set me off. Don't know why when other stuff is fine but - so be it!

Can't wait to lose the weight and get rid of the GB.

As for clothes - I have a pile of gorgeous clothes in storage from when I was last thin. It is such a crime that they are packed away but I will wear them again!

Lelly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.