Over-zealous Pharmacists, or a legal requirement?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Methotrexate for 8 years. Every so often, when I go to my local Chemist for the prescription they want to "have a word" about the prescription. It is a complete waste of time, and they have never yet said anything useful. Is it a legal requirement because the drug is toxic, or just my pharmacy being over-zealous. Various appointments waste enough time as it is. Do I have to talk to the Pharmacist or can I refuse? Thanks in advance for any info. smile

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lexx. You don't have to speak to the pharmacist. Just tell him/ her that you don't want to thank you very much! They are trying to raise their profile and some see themselves as mini GP's. I just tell mine that I spoeak to my GP and he reviews my medication. They are encouraged to ask patients if they can do an annual review but just decline.
  • Posted

Whilst it may just be your pharmacist being over zealous, they have a legal 'duty of care' when prescribing certain medications and as methotrexate is a very dangerous drug which can cause life threatening side effects in some people, my guess is they are just adhering to good practice to ensure they haven't missed anything obvious.  When repeat prescriptions are given it's the pharmacist you see more often than your GP, so it's up to him/her to make sure there are no adverse issues on a regular basis.  I appreciate it's time consuming but I'd personally rather this than get ill because a contra indication wasn't spotted soon enough.  It's not compulsory to discuss with your pharmacist but my guess is they will need to record that they tried and you declined, just to cover their responsiblities.
    • Posted

Pharmacists don't prescribe. It's the GP or consultant who prescribes. The book stops with them not the pharmacist. It's the department of health who are wanting pharmacists to basically become more involved. They do record if you decline the "consultation" but if a patient has an untoward reaction to a drug they are not accountable. They are only accountable if the make a mistake when dispensing the drug.
    • Posted

I understand that the responsiblity for the prescription lies with the medical professional but pharmacists are expected to have a 'duty of care' and yes you're correct that it's the Dept of Health requiring more pro-active involvement from dispensing chemists.  My pharmacist explained very helpfully that we have no obligation to discuss our meds with them but realistically if I am on a repeat prescription and only see my GP infrequently then a brief discussion with my pharmacist each time I collect my meds I personally find reassuring.  It's obviously down to the individual and of course there is no legal requirement to talk to them but I'm of the opinion that it's helpful to me, so I do.
    • Posted

Typo - I meant to type 'when dispensing' rather than 'when prescribing'
    • Posted

Hi Matron and loxie, Thank you both for your replies. 

I do realise that they are acting in my interests, but during the year I see the Consultant, Rheumatology Nurse, my own GP, and the practice nurse (for regular blood tests). I also have contact numbers in case of emergency or any problem with the meds. All those appointments take time, and cover all eventualities, so to me the Pharmacist consultation is just an extra I don't need.

I do appreciate the time and assistance offered by the Pharmacists for other reasons, for example, to check that an over-the-counter medication will not conflice with the Metho. Also, I didn't mind chatting with them the first two or three times, but this is long-standing medication which has been stable for many years, so now I feel it is just wasting my time and thiers.

Thanks again for your replies. smile

• Posted

I agree Lexx. I feel the same and I'm a nurse prescriber and my brother is a pharmacist! I've just spoken to him about this discussion and he said there's been some research in his area and 90% of patients decline this interview for exactly the reasons you've given. You see enough professionals so you are overloaded with advice. Just decline my brother said any decent pharmacist will not be offended and fully understand.
    • Posted

In your situation Lexx, I so sympathise with dealing with yet more talk about your condition, which can get very tiring I appreciate.  As Matron has said, the pharmacist won't be offended if you decline their offer at least they can 'tick a box'.  Re pain relief, I have OA and also take MSM, although not really sure it's any kind of miracle cure.  I appreciate that RA is so different and some things which work for one don't for the other, or arent suitable.  I have started using ginger (fresh, root not powdered) for my OA pain and inflammation and also to counterract hair loss as a result of an allergic reaction to some meds.  I make ginger and lemon 'tea' to drink and I blitz fresh ginger in the blender with argan oil and use it as a body and head rub.  It's most definitely eased the inflammation in my hands as although still painful I can at least use them and even managed to open a bottle top yesterday (first time in years!).  Hope the meds keep working for you. xx
  • Posted

My good friend's sister was recently hit with RA at 63 or so...she is doing ALL possible to avoid the drug you talk about...she's doing all supplements basically and some otc pain meds and goes to a naturopath to work on the RA she is dealing with now......  I deal with pretty narley OA body wide and use all supps as well and otc pain meds......

A man on a major RA board in the U.S. and deals with RA talked about his higher dosing of MSM to help his pain, after hearing all his info, I did my research and now for some yrs take higher doses of MSM powder in water thru the day.  MSM addresses a lot of issues....including pain.

Joy 76 US 

• Posted

Thanks for that joy. Will definitely consider this. Anything is worth a try to minimise the awful pain.
  • Posted

good pm..where to buy methotrexate 50mg for injection?please help me..
    • Posted

If you need methotrexate it should be prescribed for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.