Overactive Thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone, my second time on here for support, 2 years ago for a hysterectomy, and two years on i have the delights of an overactive thyroid, diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. I have the shakes inside and out all the time, and two weeks of meds isnt doing anything, ive lost 22 pounds in weight in 6 weeks, how long does it take to get the meds to work, i'm only 4ft 11 and cant afford to lose alot more and want to stop shaking

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kazreeeen that just sounds like me i had a hysterectomy in September and 2mths ago i got overactive thyroid.What meds are you on.It did take a few weeks to kick in.Its amazing how many ladies get thyroid when going through menapause both sergical and natural.
  • Posted

Hi, I too have been feeling horrible lately, 4 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidisum, given LEVO 50 mg never felt any different in fact I was very ill, so increase to 100 I thought I was going to die, palpatations, panic angry, then I hit meno as well, hrt that did not help either.

moved town new gp, explained situation because my notes had not all been sent through told to go on 75 mg of LEVO, still no change been ill again since November 2014 had coil fitted it made me very sick, had it removed, and since then I have been shaky inside and out, feeling sick and panic, my last tsh ft4 was tsh 0.21 range 27/42) ft4 19.8 range 12/22, reading about the results and with help from here said I was hyper, I too have lost over 2 and a half stone, since January, and sweaty, don't know what's causing it either meno or thyroid, do you have really bad buzzing in your ears.

• Posted

No joints are stiff for half an hour in the morning, pins and needles in hands blisters on my hands and feet and outrageous hot flushes which apparently may not by the menopause after my hyterectomy, oh the joys.
  • Posted

Why dont you ask if you can try i differant medication im on Propylthiouracil and it is bringing my thyroid down there is differants meds out there for over active thyroid .
    • Posted

ive only been on this one two weeks and have to have a bood test in 2 weeks to see if its having any effect, he said it could take 6-8 weeks minimum
  • Posted

Yeah he's right but if your not happy just ask for a differant one xx
  • Posted

I had radio,active iodine for my hyper thyroid and that was in 1987. I went hypo and have been on synthroid since then. It worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.