Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Whats with all the sex talk? Ive got to work all this weekend ( 2 15 hour shifts!!) so its no good me even thinking about that lol. Dave you are right i was also told that once you are on the right dose of thyroxine your weight should adjust to what you were more or less before( i hope their right ) i havent gained anymore yet but, knowing my luck i will!!!!! Remember that all that nice food may not have carbs but, they are still fattening so, naughty, naughty.( sorry to spoil your weekend) Hope you are all enjoying this sunshine i only get to feel it when i go from patient to patient : ( maybe next weekend i can do a spot of sunbathing i dont want to turn up in lanzarote looking like ive seen a ghost. Well take care all have a good weekend. Elaine.
  • Posted

I have a thyroid problem to excuse my reduced labido, what the wifes excuse? Probably my 18 stone!!

I've felt quite good this weekend, been tidying the garden, done some washing, clothes that is not myself, Wednesday is bath night. House is a tip but the garden looks tidy.

Return to work on Wednesday, half days at first, in a sad way I'm quite looking forward to it.

Ta ta for now, Dave

• Posted

back to work tomorrow -shuks

i felt great last week but have felt tiered the last couple of days, up and down eh!

• Posted

Good luck back at work Dave - don't let them dump too much onto you !Its difficult when you look well but feel like cr*p, no one takes it very seriously it seems to me. Still, its good to get back at work, it just makes everything seem more normal. Take care all, hope everyones ok. I'm plodding on but uncomfortable since stopping the beta blockers, heart thumping a bit again and feeling a bit wired up. Spose I'd better go and see the G.P. Regards to all. Bess
  • Posted

Hi bess/kaye/elaine,

I went back to work today and really enjoyed it. I finished at dinner but was very tired, i just hope i continue to get on ok

let me know how you all are going on, cheers, dave

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Well done Dave! It makes you feel better about yourself going back to work - but don't expect miracles all at once. Give in to your body when it tells you to.

I've now got an infection from my op!! Great! Feel like walking round with no knickers!!! (sorry Dave - visual image!!!) I've got antibiotics now. I thought once my thyroid was normal I wouldn't have any problems - let's hope the monthlys quieten down! I get my results from biopsy next Wednesday.

How are you doing Elaine? Have the tablets kicked in yet and begun to make you feel better? Any regrets about RAI? At least your forthcoming holiday can be enjoyed - when do you go?

Are you winning the battle Bess? No one could have written a book about how the thyroid makes us feel - perhaps we could write our onw??!! The REAL facts that no one else tells you - a bestseller no doubt!!!

Take care everyone.

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Everyone, Glad you enjoyed work Dave like Kaye said you just have to listen to your body & rest when needed .What a shit Kaye hope you start to feel ok soon as for me well................ dont want to count my chickens but, at the moment i feel GREAT!!!!!!!! Have to have bloods done next week then will see if thyroxine needs adjusting. I have no regrets on haveng rai i couldnt carry on the way i was how do you feel about it Dave? Loving all this lovely sunshine im a sun worshiper lol I had a nice suprise on weds my son-in-law has booked us a holiday for 5th may then i come back for a month & go again it cant get much better than that!!! How are you Bess? Well all enjoy this lovely sunshine & Kaye your right we could all write a book would make a mint mmmmmmmm worth thinking about lol.Take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi All, I had a \"telephone consultation \" ! with my GP today. H e tells me blood test 2 weeks ago was T4 - 15.1, T3, 4.46 but TSH 0.01, is that very low ? Don't know what the normal should be. He has reduced my Carbimazole to 2.5 mgs ! I am a bit worried about this as during the last week my pulse has risen, not drastically, and my heart feels uncomfortable at times. My eyes are still puffy but better than one month ago. So - not sure if I am winning the battle or not ! Is it usual to still have these symptoms even though the blood tests have improved ?I forgot to ask him when I should have the next blood test (twit). Perhaps at montly intervals ? I asked him for more Propanolol for anxiety, it does make you anxious when you think your heart is about to stop doesn't it. He said the anxiety was due to my thyroid, what a relief to speak to a doctor who doesn't automatically assume that all of us with anxiety are neurotic nutters. I hope you are all ok, Kaye, I also had trouble with my \"bits\" years ago. Its horrible at the time but such a relief when its sorted. Be thinking of you. Happy holidays to those who are getting away, lucky you ! Thankyou all so much for your support (and the giggles) it really helps.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Bess, try no to worry, i went through the same. the carbinazole is used to reduce the output of the thyroid, at some stage it drops below what it should be. It thenneeds to be reduced. You are puffy because your results are slightly low. Your heart will will unstable becuase it doesnt know how much thyroxine to expect, its up and down, exactly what happened to me. then you worry, dont sleep so good, fall out with everyone, get angry, heart rate goes up, then you question the docotr, all this added up for me to being ill.

My advice is to try to relacx and understand that you will not be better for some time. Understand you are not well, tell others around you you are not well and tell them to expect you to be cranky, tired, panicky etc, take it easy, lie in the sun, get them to wait on you.

I dont regret rai, i had no choice really so just went for it. im nearly well again, just need to get my meds up and ill be fine(ish). I have blood tests in 4 weeks and they should alter meds if needed, then see endo in July were we are hoping he will sign me off.

Take care all, my son plays his last footy match of the year today, he has done well but the team have onl won 2 games all year. I am warming him up for a good match to finish the year

dave

• Posted

Thanks Dave, that explains a lot and I feel a lot easier in my mind now. I must keep reminding myself that things aren't going to change for the better overnight, but we all get better in the end . I hope your son enjoys the last game of the season. The team have my sympathy - I am a West Ham supporter, and boy, are we in trouble ! Have a good weekend all. Bess.
  • Posted

anyone else have or had in my case thyrotoxicosis? thats what i had and only just been told thats even worse than just hyperthyroidism
  • Posted

Thyrotoxicosis is just another word for Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease, all the same thing.
  • Posted

hi All, Hope you have had all had a good weekend? did your sons team win? Bess like Dave said your body needs time to adjust at the moment you & us are all up & down & our poor bodies dont know know what to do but, we will all will get better. I was also told that mine was also thyrotoxicosis & graves i asked what the different was & have been told by 3 endos & gp that yes thyrotoxicosis is just another word for hyperthyroidism but ours has led to graves which as you know you will always have. Whereas some people will have over-active thyroid & get better & never suffer again whilst some will have a re-occurance. Bloody complicated aint it? lol. Well take care all till next time. Elaine. ps Dave forget to add as we have graves thats why ours is a little more serious as can lead on to other auto-immune illnesses.
  • Posted

I asked the nurse who said that thyrotoxcosis is an advanced stage of hyperthyroidism. When i was getting rai there was a woman with a t4 of 23 having rai, mine had been off the scale over 100 they tell me. It sounds to me that this is the difference between over active and thyrotoxicosis. When i googled it, it sad that adavnced hyperthyroid starts to affect your organs, my liver and heart were both affected.

any way, hope ive cheered you up, take care

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for cheering me up lol Thanks for that info it always helps to have input from others as we dont all know everything & it helps us all to have a better understanding. Hope everyone is keeping well? Elaine.Ps my t4 was also very high at 83 we sound very similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.