Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi marigold and bess thanks for the replys ...

No migraine auras thankfully touch wood...

Although I too think through things at night and often get up and make a cuppa..I've always been like this so it's obviously the graves ...

• Posted

Hello everyone

Bess i hope your feeling better .

Hows everyone coping with this horrible snow ?

i had a headache over my eye for 4 days last week then it finally cleared up now i have it again over my other eye for the second day, dont know if its because im worrying about rai on thurs. i stop carbimazole last week ready for rai and already i feel ill, had the shakes last night and heart racing, dont know if its all in my head or because im off the carbimazole .

how did everyone one go on about getting home from the hospital after rai ? my partners taking me but can i go home in the car with him? it takes about half hour to get home from the hospital, how long did everyone stay locked up for? sorry for all the questions sad

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Debs. Just having a look and you popped up. I've had a headache over my right eye, I think it's my sinuses. They often play up, and the snow's not helping my light sensitivity either.

Don't be worrying yourself about the RAI, there's nothing to worry about honest. biggrin

All hospitals give different advice about what to do after the RAI. My hubby took me, and I went home with him afterwards. The doctor who gave me the capsule sent me to sit in the waiting room with everyone else for half an hour afterwards, to make sure I was ok. So he can't have been worried about me radiating everyone else. :D He said that most of the rules are a load of rubbish. It's close, prolonged contact that should be avoided for a few days. He said I could go shopping as I wouldn't be in close contact with anyone for any length of time. I kept my crockery separate for a couple of days and washed it separately, and we slept apart for about 10 nights. No snoring - lovely).

I also avoided contact with our gdaughter for a couple of weeks as our son felt happier that I did that. The doctor actually said it wasn't necessary. He said I could give her a kiss, but she shouldn't sit on my knee for any length of time. Which she doesn't do anyway as she's a fidget. biggrin

The doctor will talk it all over with you before he gives you the capsule, and he'll probably give you different advice.

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you and let us know how you get on.

Marigold.

xxxx

Hope everyone else is ok.

xxxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

hi marigold im starting to wonder if the central heating is part of the reason for my headaches,had it on a lot more with the cold weather and today ive left a window open all day and my headaches gone at last smile

. im glad to hear your partner took you home after rai ,i will feel so much better if mine can stay with me and take me home . Ive asked my daughter to have my son stay with her for a couple of weeks as hes only 13 and dont want to put him at any risk at all, i think i will just feel better that way .

when i went to the endo i think he said my son couldnt be in the same room as me for 21 days sad .

going for a blood test in the morning so they can check my levels before i have the rai, i will be glad when its all over and done with sad . Thank you for the reassurance marigold i will let you know how i get on .

take care Deb xx

• Posted

hello everyone

is there anyone on here thats had RAI and its not worked for them ?

take care , Deb xx

• Posted

Hello everyone

just got back from having the RAI biggrin got myself worked up for nothing .

just going to look forward to getting better now smile

Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Glad that RAI went well. Take it easy and look after yourself x

I hope everybody is ok with all the snow and just seen our local weather and we are supposed to be having some more.

Maria x

• Posted

Hi Deb, Well done, you must be so relieved to get it over with. Now you can see light at the end of the tunnel and you will soon be bouncing around like a spring lamb ! It must be horrible to be separated from your son but it will soon pass and thank goodness for mobiles etc. Its good your headaches have gone, perhaps it was the stress of waiting for the RAI. Time to spoil yourself now for a while, let us know how it goes.

Marigold, Sue, Barry and everyone, how are you doing ?

Take care all,

Bess x x x

• Posted

Hello everyone

thanks Maria and Bess biggrin , i am relieved Bess .

yes the headaches might have been the stress, more thank likely with me .i will be ringing my son all the time biggrin he will end up fed up of me .

i feel so much better today just to know its over with .

hows everyone else ? its a bit quiet on here .

im waiting for that snow they have given out maria beings im staying in doors it wont bother me .

take care , Deb xx

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Deb I'm pleased you're feeling better now that you've got the RAI over with. You'll miss your son, but the time will fly over.

It's snowing heavy here, supposed to snow all night and then be a bit warmer tomorrow.

I'm frozen, I've just put a thicker jumper on.

I wish the snow would just go away, I've had enough of it now. biggrin

Are you ok Bess? Is there a lot of snow where you live? We had to get someone to dig us out on Tuesday, we couldn't get the car out. I've had no more auras. Have you?

Have you got some more snow Maria?

Thinking of everyone.

love,

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

thanks Marigold biggrin , i think my sons enjoying him self with his sister getting to do what he wants biggrin .

It snowed heavy here last night ,my partner went out to work at 7 but only got up the street and his van got stuck in the snow .

i wish it would clear up now and have lots of sunshine .

im feeling well but bored already of staying in , been reading lots and watching tv which i dont normally do .

Take care ,Deb xx

• Posted

Hello everyone

just wondered if anyone got a sore throat after rai ? mines been sore for a couple of days now .

how is everyone ?

take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Debs I havent been on for awhile I suppose because I am now back to normal and living life to the full after RAI.I had RAI Aug 2012 and 2 weeks later I had a very sore throat/neck.If you look back onthat date you will see how distressed I was.It lasted almost 2 weeks and was very painful.However I did see my doctor and he said my thyroid was very inflammed and gave me painkillers.The consultant I saw for the review said it was unusual but theRAI had done its job.I am on 100mg thyroxine now and I am so delighted that ..RAI worked for me and I dont regret having it.Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Alice-in-Wonderland
  • Posted

Hello Alice in wonderland

thanks for your message , hopefully like yours mine will be working smile .

just taking pain killers at the mo, its not to bad but really hurts if i cough, its a strange feeling really.

i was due to go back on carbimazole a week after RAI but not taken any yet as i feel ok apart from the sore throat.

not sure if i should take them or not, did anyone else go back on carbs after RAI ?

take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi everyone ,hope you are all well .

had a nice time on holiday although the weather was changable , at least i missed the snow cheesygrin

Got to hear from my gp that my endo pct and gp himself have all agreed that i can now go on armour grunt,my endo has (hopefully ) orderd it for me and will phone me when its in ,he wants me to take it for 2 months then to see him,when it comes i have to pick it up at the hospital,so heres hoping it will suit me .When i was in hospital not long ago they put me on calcichew as my vitamin d was very low ,well i have just read on mary shannons about. com the importence of taking vit d ,its worth a read to all thyroid sufferers .my endo also told me to take a multi vit with minerals ,he said the small amout of iodene wouldnt harm me so i take centrum.

debs glad you are ok after your rai ,is your son back home with you now ?

Bess how are you hun ,have all your worries ect gone now ,been thinking about you xx

Marigold how are your grandchildren,glad you had a nice christmas together.

Maria have you booked another holiday yet

take care everyone

keep well

love to all

sue xx.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.