Overweight but optimistic

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having my long awaited op Tuesday 27th (eeecks) after losing some weight I'm still 3 stones heavier than I should be but I'm determined not to let this hamper my progress and after reading some of the inspiring problems some of you guys have dealt with I'm sure I can do this. My surgeon has assured me if I do well with this op he will operate on my right hip 6 months later so I've everything to work towards.This forum has had a massive impact on my outlook and I thank all the positive members for their input, I will post again with an update of my recovery.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm another one for the hip replacement on Tuesday too with the right one to follow in 6 months or so.

Good on you for losing weight and once you are on your way to being out of pain I'm sure it'll be easier to lose more, I have put on 20lbs in the last 18 months due to my condition forcing me to become less active, I'm currently in the overweight catagory for BMI, but I know unless I have this op in all likelihood my weight will get worse along with the pain.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your op and recovery and a brighter pain free future.

Take Care Lulu.

• Posted

I don't know what stage you have got to but I'm now practically housebound and dependant on going out in a wheelchair I'm 62 and have never not worked but since Oct last year have been off so I'm so looking forward to some form of independence again. We'll have to keep up to date with each others progress, good luck for next Tuesday X

• Posted

Hi Lulu, good luck tomorrow I'll be thinking of you, due to a repeat sleep apnia test being needed my op has been put back until late 11th July I so wish it was tomorrow. Let me know how your progress goes by the time I have mine yours will be a distant memory. X

• Posted

dear ann and lulu , 

good luck to both of you with the upcoming hip replacement surgery ...

I had 2 THR surgeries 6 months apart ... 

just come here any time if you have questions or concerns, or just need encouragement etc.

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

My ops been postponed due to a repeat sleep apnia test being needed, I'm so upset Renee as I'd geared myself up for it but worse things happen and it's only 2 weeks so onwards and upwards.x

• Posted

Hey Ann hope your doing well at this moment !!!

Being overweight don't matter. They just have to move more out of way ( no sweat). I am 30 lbs underweight so everything in me was rite there !!!

You'll do fine drs today have a great knowledge & experience so its a walk in the park for them.

It mite be harder or take longer to regain muscle memory & strength but we got time so take it slow & you'll be fine & ready for next one

I had mine done 6weeks apart smile yall have a lot more trouble getting appointments than we do in 🇺🇸 but lm sure your drs are just as good or better.

Just don't be in a hurry & everything will work out fine

Luv from the colonies 🇺🇸🇺🇸

David 🤠

• Posted

Hi Dave, 6 weeks apart that's some going, how has your recovery been hope your back to running marathons. I'll keep you updated with my progress. X

• Posted

Ann Ann

Keep me informed. My surgerys went great both hip work perfectly

Bad news is the dr damaged,, or scar tissue is squeezing my sciatic nerve bad , last it mite be my lower disc that has no space but they say it's not on nerve ???this is only on left side. I'm on strong narcotic Pain meds which suck !!! This don't happen often but it got me !!

All folks I personally know have had no problems at all so guess I was a 1% smile

Luv to ya

David

• Posted

Hi Ann, I lost 2 stone before my THR last June. I've still got another 2-3 to go. As they say, every little helps. Good luck x

• Posted

Hope your well and truly on the mend now, thank you for responding. X
  • Posted

Good for you Ann, losing weight is a great thing to do.  I managed 5 stones (70 pounds) beforemy operation, and I know it helped tremendously.  It is hard, but with altering my eating habits and extra exercise I am managing to keep the weight off. 

See my website for tips from my many friends on this forum, the website address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

I've been on your website,it's great really informative and helpful. 5 stone is awesome I wish I'd have done better but never mind onwards and upwards or in my case downwards (weightwise). X

• Posted

Ann, Like the advert says, "Every little helps", especially with weight loss.

• Posted

Dear Ann, wishing you all the best for Tuesday, Judith
    • Posted

Thank you Judith but due to a repeat sleep apnia test being needed it's now been re booked for 11th July, only got told this morning so a tad upset but only 2 weeks so it could be worse. X

• Posted

Well that's a nuisance, but at least it's not too long to wait....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.