Pacing Ourselves

Posted , 4 users are following.

How many of us have perfected the art of knowing our limitations? I know I haven't:

PACING LIFE

Sleep came to me last night

Peaceful, no jerking awake, no searing pain

In fact I seemed dead to the world,

No terrifying nightmares a quiet slumber

This morning – energized

Can’t remember when I last felt like this.

Turbo charged I decide to do all those things so long outstanding.

The dogs sense my energy and rush to the door waiting for it to open and for their walk to begin.

The sun is shining – not a soul about so early are we. The grass is still wet, baby rabbits abound.

Life feels good.

We return happy and tired. Dogs flop to the ground silly grins and great long tongues.

No sprite on my shoulder telling me what I can’t do.

The house sees more action and is the tidiest it has been in years

Now for the garden – that lawn needs tackling

Hours later grey clouds gather

Exhaustion hits

I sit defeated the sprite on my shoulder laughing

You never thought I would let you get away with it did you?

Body broken – will I ever learn the art of pacing myself

4 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How those words ring so true and how fibro lets you know who is boss? I keep telling my self to pace my self but myself never listens, then fibro puts me back in my place sad onwards upwards every one battle on altogeather gentle hugs to maggers and you all x  
    • Posted

It's about time I learned I will never get the better of Sprite but somehow I never stop trying - stubborn or what!
    • Posted

You me both maggers trouble is we are the ones that suffer after yet we still keep doing it stubborn to the core you me Hi hate bossy boots fibro. take care gentle hug 
  • Posted

So very very true, I never listen either

I've been very lucky and I've been well for about six weeks, never completely pain free but focused and energised it's been amazing, but yesterday evening a very black heavy cloud creeped over my shoulder and pushed me to the floor my husband was there to pick me up thank goodness, I slept from 7.30 and dragged my body out of bed this morning at 8.30 still as tiered as the moment my head touched my pillow, cringing with pain I dragged my useless body out of bed,

I'm working a late shift this afternoon but need to leave by 11.30 HOW I don't know, auto pilot again for me, fingers crossed it's a quiet shift,

Why don't we ever learn it's been nearly 15 years, I have a degree and good education, I question my stupidity on time,

I wonder how long this attack will last? Who knows,

I hope all my fellow fibro friends are feeling well today, if not gentle hugs to you all

• Posted

3 years ago I went into remission for a short time then it came back with vengence I was in bed for 8 months and carers in having to look after me not nice having to rely on others feeling useless helpless and vunerable. its happened 3 x like that last time was last year had to have carers in again  ive got everything crossed it wount happen again but fibro is the boss not me feeling for you having to go to work hope your shift is quiet for you. take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Thank you, let's hope we can all find a way someday

But strong positive minds are good

( I think 😙 I'll find out after my long stretch over the weekend )

Keep fighting boys and girls have a fabulous weekend

Lots of hugs x

• Posted

Me too. I had to drag myself work this afternoon. I suffered terrible fog and had to keep asking people to repeat things as the brain just would not absorb a single thing. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier - I live in hope.  Hope your shift was nice and quiet.
  • Posted

Dont criticise yourself Maggers - the sprite wants you to give up and stop living your life in an enjoyable way. We cant give in to it, we have to at least try to do the things we want when we have the ability to do them.  That horrible sprite will sneak up on us even when we don't do too much, so as the saying goes, might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb eh? Or more bluntly - you're fxxxx if you do and you're fxxxx if you don't - gotta laugh eh.
    • Posted

Hi  loxie totaly agree with what youve said to maggers, we cant win really what ever we do or dont do. onwards upwards go forh we go. hope both have alovely weekend and not toooo much pain.smile x
    • Posted

Thanks Loxie you are so right - whatever we do we are completely stuffed.  Thank goodness for a sense of humour!
    • Posted

morning maggers how are you today?. I had 1hr sleep Im like a zombie this morning. on the upside a part from numbness tingling in my right leg Im pain free at the moment which is great as normally Im never pain free. charlie cant settle his wounds are irritating him. I had him layed in my arms last night trying to settle him. wish I could help him? hope you have a lovely day take care smile
    • Posted

hope your ok im feeling better after yesterdays scare i have been told its more likely to be costocondritis as its commen in people with fibro its scary and very hard to handle that kind of pain but its easing of now just have to take it easier than i have been but you see i dont know what my limits are yet so i had better not push my luck
    • Posted

Hi Derek it is very scary when it happens as it mimics a heart attack. I was rushed into hospital and kept in over night. Costocondritis is common in people with fibro. its hard trying to learn to pace ourselves. we think oh we are feeling not too bad,  I think I will hoover dust etc then bam your flat on your back. so now I do a tiny bit each day hoover 1 day wash another try to do it like that. But If I get up dont feel like doing anything then I dont.I just go with what my body is telling me. fibro lets you know when youve over stepped the mark. take care 
    • Posted

Hi derek I have been lucky today Ive actually had a pain free day,except for numbness pins needles in left foot leg and hands fingers. I am struggling to use my hands especially for eating holding knife fork, grasping I got upset last night as I was struggling to hold knife fork more food was going down me than in my mouth.? gentle hug 
    • Posted

me to at last its eased but my hands are the same as yours the only thing annoying me at the moment is that lady telling people its ok to use ganja when its not and saying to me a doctor told her its safer than paracetomol well if that was the case then why is ganja illegal when paracetomol is not so i cant stress enough people dont listen and dont take ganja
    • Posted

i will and thanks its horrible and scary but i will never result to using ganja or anyother illegal substance people should not tell people to take anything if there not that persons doctor cause it may be ok for someone but wont be for someone else in fact it could do them more harm that good always take what your own doctor tells you dont listen to the women who said its safe when its not promiss me kaz you have been a dear friend to me and i dont want you to listen to her
    • Posted

personally speaking I wouldnt touch it, but its up to other people what they do. 
    • Posted

its up to others what they do but no one should result to yet alone mention about taking it me personally i have had it once in the past and ended up in hospital and seen a friend become well id rather not say but its illegal and contains strychnine and thats not safe thats why i wont touch it cause if i was caught i could get knicked and loose my son and thats never going to happen
    • Posted

Derek  - I'm sorry but comments like yours are not helpful, your limited knowledge of the subject and your biased view associating it purely with the 'drug taking community' havent given a balanced opinion on the matter.  For centuries the [u]known [/u]medical benefits of cannabis have been used very effectively and many very carefully conducted and regulated clinical trials have shown its proven abilities in the treatment of a variety of illnesses.  It is in fact legalised for medical use in many many countries.  

For info - Medical benefits (all proven from clinical tests):

Improve appetite and sense of taste in cancer patients, improve symptoms of chronic (long term) neuropathic pain, plant extract can effectively relieve post surgery pain, alleviate MS spasticity, halt prostate cancer growth, protect people from osteoporosis later in life, reduce memory loss symptoms similar to those found in Alzheimers disease, for patients with chronic pain, adding cannabinoids - the main ingredients in cannabis - to an opiates-only treatment, provides better results than opiates alone. allowing patients on the combination treatment to benefit from reduced opiate dosages.

Dangers arise from the abuse of cannabis for recreational purposes, NOT from its careful administering under medical supervision.  Lets be honest there is far far more danger from abusing other prescription drugs such as opiates (heroin, morphine, etc) and from addiction to tranquilisers etc., than there could be from the medical use of cannabis, particularly as it is proven to be non-addictive.  The pejorative use of the term 'ganja' is particularly unhelpful.  Cannabis is NOT an illegal substance if given under medical supervision and is very very different from the picture you paint of drug abusers, eg smoking a joint illegally.  Please do your research before making ill advised and inflammatory comments which could be harmful to those seeking proper medical care.

• Posted

im not bothering with the discussion but in the uk its illegal and that says it all for me so ask why is it illegal and if people take it then its at there own risk and to be honest should not be up for discussion as there different laws on it in different countries people can do what they like but should not be on here to be honest its not the place for that discussion
    • Posted

plus just to add i have a lot more then limited knowledge when im fully qualified in horticulture and agriculture and hemp grows in the uk naturally and even if you pick that you can get arrested as its illegal but if people want to take it then as long as its there choice then not my problem and im not beeing funny but you cant expect everyone to be happy with that discussion but look i will say if it helps someone then as im in agonising pain who am i to say dont use it if it helps then fine as long as its not forced on people then fine but discussions can sometimes make people feel that they should take it cause they have tried everything else and to me thats not fair it should be personal choice and not advitised as here in the uk you will be breaking the law plus its not an ill advised comment its meant with a intention if your goint to take it keep it to ones self dont broadcast it anyway i dont want to argue lifes to short
    • Posted

this was take from a nhs site 

Risks associated with cannabis

Recent research has helped us better understand the health risks from using cannabis. We know that:

Cannabis affects your ability to drive. This is one of the reasons why drug driving, like drink driving, is illegal. One French study found that drivers who had been using cannabis were more than twice as likely to cause a fatal car crash.

If you smoke it, cannabis can be harmful to your lungs. Like tobacco, it contains cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens) that increase your risk of lung cancer. It can also make asthma worse, and cause wheezing in people without asthma. If you mix cannabis with tobacco and smoke it, the risks to your lungs are higher.

Cannabis can harm your mental health. Regular use is associated with an increased risk of developing a psychotic illness, such asschizophrenia. A psychotic illness is one where you experience hallucinations (when you see things that aren’t really there) and delusions (when you believe things that aren’t really true). Your risk of developing a psychotic illness is higher if you start using cannabis in your teens and if you have a family history of mental illness. Cannabis use has also been shown to increase the risk of a relapse in people who have schizophrenia, and could make existing symptoms worse.

Cannabis may affect your fertility. Research done in animals suggests that cannabis can disrupt sperm production in males and ovulation in females.

If you are pregnant, cannabis may harm your unborn baby.Research suggests that using cannabis during pregnancy could affect your baby's brain development. Regularly smoking cannabis with tobacco is associated with an increased risk of your baby being born small or premature.

• Posted

IF NO 1 LIKED MY COMMENTS ON THAT DEBATE THEN ITS SIMPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD IT IN THE FIRST PLACE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.