PAE 2 weeks ago report

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just wanted to report to the group posting here that my PAE procedure has improved my condition to a point that I wanted to share this information with the board. My flow is improved. I hope this improvement continues and I look forward to continued improvement at 1 month and beyond.

It looks like I will fall in the 80-90% group that is helped.

take care

Lou

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done Lou. Hope you continue to reap the benefits of PAE. It's been a life changer for me.

Best regards

Peter

• Posted

great to hear that. we all come to a PAEprocedure with certain issues. My issue was slow/weak urination, and retention which ended up causing me kiddney stones issues. Had two surgeries.

what was your issue if I may ask

Lou

• Posted

My main problems were weak flow, retention, dribbling,  leakage and frequent nightly trips to the bathroom resuting in sleep deprivation and lack of energy during the day.

My prostate had enlarged to about 160 ml and the bladder was retaining about 220 ml.

Luckily I had PAE ( 2nd Dec 2015) before the enlarged prostate would have caused other problems such as bladder or kidney infection.

I have had a post procedure MRI scan a couple of weeks ago and am waiting to see the urologist consultant in April to hear what he thinks of the scan and find out how much the prostate has shrunk and how much the PSA count has reduced to.

I don't get up at all during the night now. My max urine output has increased from around 120ml to over 400 ml and an added bonus is the improvement of sexual function. 

Best regards

Peter

• Posted

Was the Interventional Radiologist able to embolize both sides?  I had mine done last July, and while I have had noticeable improvement, I still have nocturia, just not as bad. Previously, it was simply not allowing me to get sufficient sleep to function. Now, I get at least on three hour period of sleep per night, and sleep deficiency is at a tolerable level.  I  should also note that I have had several "down cycles" lasting up to two weeks where the problems returned, nearly at previous levels, but I return to an acceptable level.  I'm trying to decide whether I should go back for the other side - a decision which, with my insurance, will cost me about $4000.
    • Posted

DR BAGLA did both sides and stated I had very good vascularization

on both sides. I have a concern that urination issues may return or be intermitantbut as of this time it looks like a good result and hoping for more improvement as this is less than two weeks out from PAE.

If they can do the other side the results for both sides is better than just one side - i have read that in my research

• Posted

It has been two weeks since PAE. My prostate was100g and I am only 50 years old.i am currently doing fine, did notice significant improvements.very happy that I have this done before it get me into big trouble. I did PAE at UNC.
    • Posted

The rational behind PAE is so convenience, if your Doctor has thoroughly blocked the blood flow, it should have very good chance to shrink the prostate and to make it work. I am very fortunately to have this done even I have to spend $6500 out of my own pocket.
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience with PAE Lou.

Where and which doctor did your PAE.

Thanks again

• Posted

I had mine done at UNC with Dr. Isaacson. Did it through wrist artery, very quick recovery. Not much awareness of the surgery. Process is easy and no pain. Only problem is the inflammatory of prostate three days later due to not taking the anti-inflammatory drugs on time. I have to get a catheter at local hospitals and the catheter was taken out a week later without any further problem. Therefore don't forget to take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, maybe some iboprofen. Good luck to you all.
    • Posted

dr bagla at vascular institute of virginia

regards, lou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.