PAE and BPH drugs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone been able to get off their BPH drugs following PAE ( Proscar, Avodart, alpha-blockers )?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil, 

90 per cent of PAEs are successful. If they are successful, no one stays on BPH drugs. 

I had mine in May last year. I haven't taken Flomax for over a year. I am symptom free. Life is good. 

Cheers 

• Posted

I found this statement on the UNC Medical Center website regarding PAE.  (They are doing PAE procedures there.)   Following was cut and pasted from the UNC site:

" According to the data on PAE that has already been published, PAE provides satisfactory improvement for 75-80% of men who undergo the procedure. The reason it does not work for some people is most likely related to the presence of a large median lobe of the prostate, inability to complete the embolization due to the size and location of the arteries or an inherent weakness in the bladder that does not resolve after the prostate shrinks."

• Posted

I agree with Caringbah. Most PAEs are successful and there should be no need for BPH drugs afterwards. I had PAE in April of 2015. I quit taking BPH Meds a week before the PAE and have not taken any since. My sex life has returned, I get up rarely at night and during the day I pee with a great flow,

life is good.

• Posted

Thanks - I've  seen reports that it is hard to get off Avodart - have any of you taken this drug before the PAE?
  • Posted

I was on alpha-blocker at the time of my 9/15 PAE and have not been able to reduce or get off of them.  I had gone in to acute retention (and was CIC'ing for the prior 14 months) and had a large median lobe.  I'm not sure what the success rate is, but, unfortuantely, it didn't work for me.  That said, I think it is the best shot w/ the least effects and may try it again if they improve the procedure (or learn more) to the point where they think it will help me.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.