PAE and other available options

Posted , 3 users are following.

This forum is nothing short of amazing! I have read almost every post. Thank you all for sharing your experiences! I have a lot of the symptoms of enlarged prostate but not too bad at night. Usually only get up twice/night. But during the day need to pee often and sometimes a greater urgency. I had a PSA done (twice) and both times came back at 18.5. That really scared me. Urologist did DRE and said large prostate but didn't think cancerous because no hard spots and the high score could be from prostate just being so large. He did a cystoscopy and said I have a giant median lobe. His recommendation was PVP Green Light laser but I read the side effects and only want that as an absolute last resort if at all.

I went to get 2nd opinion because, in the back of my mind, the high PSA score still weighs heavy on my mind. 2nd urologist agreed that there are no suspicious areas found from DRE but wants to do 12 core (or more) biopsy. He is willing to do an MRI first to see if that shows any suspicious areas and will use that to determine where to biopsy in addition to the random selection. (I'm not agreeing to the biopsy part yet.). He said he would not recommend the laser because the median is pushing in the bladder and using the laser could accidentally damage the bladder. He wants to do a robotic suprapubic prostatectomy.

I am very interested in the PAE based on what I've read but wonder (because of my high PSA score) if I should do the biopsy or...if the MRI comes back clean just move forward with the PAE. I was also thinking (based on info I found here) of having the pca3 test done (if I can find a lab around here that does it.

Any thoughts regarding if I should do the biopsy because of my high PSA score?

If I don't have cancer, I think the PAE is a reasonable option for me (even with a giant median lobe) but would be interested in some feedback. (The side lobes are also enlarged).

Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ken to your question Why he did so many?", the answer is obvious: the urologist is shooting in the dark here and more samples increases his odds of hitting a target eg., a tumor. This is precisely the reason why this form of prostate biopsy is best avoided. And keep in mind the possibility remains that all 20 samples come back negative, and then what? Well you might hope the urologist would conclude ES28567 does not have PC. That said, he might insist doing another round of biopsy cores. ES28567, if that happens resists the temptation to proceed and get yourself to a qualified urologist with MRI guided biopsy and laser therapy to eradicate a tumor if found.
    • Posted

I think that is to many. And that should have not been done.  I have never heard of that many.  I wish him well and good luck  A MRI guided is better and less of a problem  Ken
    • Posted

Hi guys,

Originally the urologist was going to do 12 blind cores based on the PSA score of 18.5. My goal was to avoid doing a biopsy so I insisted on an MRI first to see if there was more evidence to support doing a biopsy because the DRE (by two different urologists) did not indicate any abnormality and as we all know the PSA by itself is not a good indicator of cancer. So the T3 MRI was performed and came back showing two areas level 5 (high probability of cancer) one level 4 (very likely probability of cancer) and one level 2 (most likely benign). And to make matters more alarming, in the radiologist report, the areas of concern are against the prostate wall with concerned that the cancer may have already breached the prostate.

I talked to Sperling cancer center and they could not comment directly to my situation but they only target the areas of Concern. However they said depending on the experience of the radiologist and the quality of the images, he may or may not miss something on the MRI. And then (of course) they encouraged me to come to their center for the biopsy. I talked with the radiologist who did the reading. He suggested focusing on the areas of concern because he felt very likely that will be where they will most likely find issues that need addressed. I also talked with my contact at the cancer center of America. She said she would be inclined to do both the targeted and random samples so more likely nothing is missed.

After getting everyone's opinion, I felt that probably only doing the areas of concern would show us if I had cancer. My final conclusion was that the whole purpose of the biopsy is to see if there is cancer, where it is located, and what type. The more I know about my prostate the better I can make an educated decision. Knowledge is power (and since we are doing the biopsy anyway) having a general idea of how the rest of the prostate is will give me a better idea of how to proceed with whatever treatment is necessary.

I'm not saying my decision to allow the urologist to do more cores than the areas of concern is right for everyone. It was just the right decision for me at the time with the information I had available. Maybe explaining my thought process will help others with their decision.

One last note regarding the biopsy. My original goal was to avoid or only agree to a biopsy if there was enough evidence to support it. I took a conservative approach and even insisted on a PCA3 test before allowing the biopsy. Unfortunately when the MRI came back with such bad results, I didn't see a reason for the PCA3 test. To my urologist credit, he was very agreeable to all my requests and never tried to talk me out of the MRI or PCA3 tests I only wish he was the one who brought up those options when we were determining a plan of action.

Always go in with as much knowledge as possible.

• Posted

Yes information is the key.  Lets hope you get good news and they can take care of it without have the prostate removed.  My prayer are with you..Ken
    • Posted

New update...

I went to the hospital records dept. and got my results from pathology. FYI, you don't have to wait until you revisit the urologist to get your results. I don't fully understand every nuance of the report but I did google everything and have a basic understanding. The worst was one Gleason score of 3+3 = 6 out of 22 cores. 3 areas of small acinar proliferation (that means they could possibly be cancerous but not sure). And the rest no malignancy found. Also, no perineural invasion identified. So, I have cancer but is not as aggressive as other types. I know there is a lot of debate about doing biopsies but looks like it was the right choice for me. Now I need to figure out how to proceed with this new information. I see my urologist on Wednesday but will seek out other advice on the best way to manage my situation.

• Posted

I am very happy that it is not that bad.  The cancer you have is not aggressive.  So you can wait and just see how it goes.  I think I read that they will check you every 6 month or longer to see.  You may have a good 10 years or more that you don't have to worry. Keep your prostate as long as you can  or there is the derecte MRI treatment to get the cancer out without removeing the prostate Take care just rest and have some fun  Ken
    • Posted

Yes, I am somewhat encouraged but want to hear from the urologist and cancer institute of America. If I can take a active watch and wait, then I will see if the PAE procedure is still an option to reduce the size of my prostate. Maybe the blood restriction will also slow or kill the cancer.
    • Posted

That may do it.  Time will tell.  You know what you want and it is your body Please do not let the doctor talk you anything because they will try.  Take care  Buddy  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.