PAE- My urologist does not recommend I get a PAE. He says there are always complications

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a more of an old fashion urologist he says that this procedure can I have all complications. Including chronic illness after, or problems placement of beads into prostate. Should i be fearful of getting a PAE for BPH?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I think the only hesitation you might have would be that it doesn't give you the results you are looking for.

I have had 2 PAE procedures. The first one gave me great relief for 2 years, and the second is going on close to a year now.

Pre - PAE i had 3 full acute urinary retention incidents, and chronic extreme frequency and urgency. Since my PAE , I have a normal life , much better Quality of life and ZERO retention. if i drink a lot ( vokume) i pee a lot and frequently , but the urgency is gone. I am grateful for PAE and zero side effects such retro- ejaculation.

I have never heard of PAE causing chronic illness, i have only heard of it not providing the desired results. In my layman's opinion, there is very little risk involved.

good luck !

• Posted

I was going to make a snide remark by saying the only complication is that he won't make money doing it. That said, I have no experience with PAE. My old fashioned urologist wanted to do turp on me. I almost went through with it. LAst minute I found this place. I decided to do finasteride instead and I'm very happy with my decision. Hoping for a magic bullet procedure before I have to choose one of the present day procedures.

• Posted

My Urologist also didn't have much good to say about the PAE procedure. He said it only works about 50% of the time and I would need a catheter after the procedure. My PAE worked perfectly on my 105cc prostate with enlarged median lobe and I did not need a catheter afterwards. It was also covered 100% by Medicare. I was willing to travel to the most experienced IR doctor to avoid all the horror stories that happen with inexperienced IR doctors. This is a very complicated procedure and IMO the IR's experience is the most important factor in avoiding complications. My IR doc had done about 1000 of these. I had no complications and it's still working extremely well 8 months out. Cut my prostate size and resulting PSA in half.

• Posted

Would you mind sharing who your IR doc is? It seems like having the right IR, with a great deal of experience, is critical for PAE.

• Posted

I used Dr Bhatia at the University of Miami. Excellent experience and excellent results. I'm in South Florida and was willing to travel if needed to find the most experienced IR. Lucky for me that Dr Bhatia was only an hour drive from me. Other Docs on the east coast of the US with a lot of PAE experience are Dr Bagla (Virginia) and Dr Issacson. (North Carolina)

• Posted

Thanks.

Do you know if there are any experienced PAE doctors in Boston or New York City. I live near Boston.

• Posted

No, unfortunately I don't. Those 3 IR's I mentioned seemed to come up the most often when I did my research. Once I found Dr Bhatia and he was so close to me I stopped looking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.