PAE patients: 5 easy questions for you

Posted , 13 users are following.

There are many valuable PAE comments on this forum but they are scattered over multiple threads.  My goal is to consolidate the PAE experience in a single thread.  All questions can be answered yes/no so an insignificant amount of time is required.  Feel free to elaborate or copy and paste your previous post regarding your PAE experience.   To keep the thread focused,  please do not post second-hand accounts or share your (or urologist's) opinions on PAE (or any other procedure) if you have not had PAE.  Thanks in advance to those who post.  And if you think this post was a dumb idea, don't tell me, I'm very sensitive! :-)

1)      How long has it been since you underwent PAE?

2)      Did  the procedure relieve your BPH symptoms to your satisfaction?

3)      Was the recovery period reasonable and without unexpected pain or complications?

4)      If you were on medication prior to PAE, were you able to discontinue the meds?

5)      If you could start over, would you do PAE again or try something else?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

1. 1 1/2 years since the last one. I have had 3.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Very little pain. No bleeding. No catheter!

4. N/A. Not on meds prior.

5. Definitely do PAE again. It is MUCH less painful than all of the other BPH procedures, with much less chance of complications.

Neal

• Posted

1)      How long has it been since you underwent PAE?  4 years

2)      Did  the procedure relieve your BPH symptoms to your satisfaction?  No

3)      Was the recovery period reasonable and without unexpected pain or complications?  Yes

4)      If you were on medication prior to PAE, were you able to discontinue the meds?  No still taking flomax

5)      If you could start over, would you do PAE again or try something else?   I have an enlarged median lobe, maybe that caused my poor results. Before you try PAE you have no idea if it will help or not especially 4 years ago when not much was known about it. 

• Posted

1)      How long has it been since you underwent PAE?  4 years

2)      Did  the procedure relieve your BPH symptoms to your satisfaction?  No

3)      Was the recovery period reasonable and without unexpected pain or complications?  Yes, just a couple days

4)      If you were on medication prior to PAE, were you able to discontinue the meds?  No still taking Flomax

5)      If you could start over, would you do PAE again or try something else?  No.  But I have a large median lobe,  perhaps that caused poor outcome of PAE.  Did not know that 4 years ago though.

• Posted

Hi PAE folks .

A.nother evidence PAE is not effective when big median  lobe is  in place !!!   Why dont know this fact  IR doctors providing PAE ???  We wolld spare a lot of time, money and suffering .  Even my problem worsened after PAE . Now Im  just  4 weeks after FLA , nice relief  but the best results ahead. Stan   

• Posted

Stan,

How long was your FLA procedure ?   I called Dr K's office they told me it is 2 to 4 hours and many times in and out of the MRI.  That seems long too me.  Were you sedated the whole time ?  It seems like a local Anesthetic may have to be updated in the middle of the procedure.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,  my FLA was longer due to "BEAST : big median  lobe . totally  4 hours.  You are under sedatives and you feel  no pain, no  uncomfort , it was easy  stay  in  MRI machine. After it  you are just sleepy but no headache . Then I set to the car and my friend  drove me  to  hotel for relax.  Just one day small bleeding .   I stay in Houston for another 4 days , there is risk  of UTI  infection , so its good to be under control of Dr. K.  He changed my ATB  to more  effective Bactrim . Then  I flew home  18 hours ( to Europe)   with Foley catheter, but was not big issue.     Stan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.