PAE PROGRESS TIME TABLE

Posted , 12 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they saw any improvement in BHP symptoms 3 weeks post and any time table to see any improvement at all

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It took six weeks after my PAE to completely get off of flomax I was taking two a day for years and stopped taking one of them 2 weeks after the procedure. Hope this helps

• Posted

If there is still bladder outlet obstruction, it probably won't improve.

• Posted

It didn't work at all for me; however, I had an enlarged median lobe. They told me not to give up on possible improvement for 8 months.

Best of luck!.

• Posted

I just had my second PAE; the first was in 2015. For that one, I saw gradual improvement for seven months, then my symptoms returned suddenly. Last year, I had a Urolift, which left me worse off and in nearly constant pain. Immediately after the second PAE, the urolift pain dissappeared. I still need to go back, since the IR was only able to get to the right side, but one week out, I am seeing improvement, though small. My nocturia has reduced from 7-8 to 5-6 times per night.

• Posted

Hi Ramblin and others with nocturia

A couple of years ago I had an unsuccessful PAE

Since then I CIC 4 times a day. I'm only ever up once a night.

When you CIC you are completely empty so for me it takes up to 8 hours to fill up again during the day to say 500ml and 5 hrs at night.

If you think about it that's better results than many get with the various operations.

It is simple easy and painless.

GREG

• Posted

Greg,

I have tried to CIC on several occasions and the process was NOT simple or painless - in fact, it was so painful the last time I could only get the catheter in about an inch. We are all quite different.

Tom

• Posted

Agreed...maybe a 12FR coude catheter would be easier for you.

Make sure it is hydrophyllic. coloplast speedicath may work.

• Posted

Tried coude - much worse. I tried 14fr hydrophilic last time. Impossible. Will never do this again unless it's an absolute emergency. For some others here - it 's like brushing their teeth - very easy.

• Posted

Agree with you, Tom,

Tried different size lubricated catheters before my PAE to alleviate my partial neck obstruction and empty the bladder. Every time severe pain, bleeding afterward and almost inevitable UTC after few days of CIC. That caused me to accelerate PAE and do it locally. I couldn't travel and can't imagine how people on 4 times per day on CIC can travel, go to work, or even to the movies. In my view CIC is te worst method to treat BPH : allows the prostate grow uncontrolled without treatment to the stage when any treatment becomes complicated and dangerous. Will cause colonization of the bladder with fungus and bacteria. It's like illiteracy that usually causes superstition. Of course, I understand that behind these treatment is an extreme fear of any invasive methods and following it complications. Still, can't recommend it as effective method of QoL improvement. One day or another it will end in disaster.

• Posted

Gene, I'm sure you've posted before, but how long ago did you have PAE and are symptoms gone with no meds?

• Posted

Hank,

I have said this before on this forum, but the only way I will try CIC again is in an emergency situation, where I am in total or almost total retention and can't get to the uro or ER. This was the situation that I was in about 5 years ago. I was able to self cath then, but it wasn't easy or in any way comfortable. The last time I tried was before my bipolar TURP two months ago - total failure. Getting a procedure is a much better solution to the issues, but I understand that many men are afraid to move forward with any operation for various reasons. If CIC works for them, that's great. It's not for me.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Gene

I agree completely that CIC is not for everyone. Sorry you had so much trouble and hope your PAE works well for you.

I for one do not have extreme fear of invasive treatments and did try PAE without success. My urologists have told me my bladder is so stretched any further treatment is unlikely to help and that they might leave me incontinent (not a great outcome and I have read that it occurs in up to 10% of Turp and Green Light ops). So CIC is my choice.

I have travelled widely and backpacked through Indonesia and Central America and have been able to CIC without problems or symptomatic UTI . In fact it is very liberating to CIC and know you have up to 8 hrs without needing a toilet. Before CIC I couldn't go on a bus trip longer than one and a half hours without toileting first.

Recently I have had UTIs but have discovered HIPREX and no further problems.

• Posted

Greg,

That's because your bladder is already overstretched and can't push urine through two sphincters. Most of us are opposite.

• Posted

Sorry you had so much trouble with CIC Tom. Yes we ARE all different and have to look for different ways to solve our prostate problems. The beauty of this forum is that there is support for you on your journey. Good Luck.

GREG

• Posted

Thanks Gene

That's exactly what the Urologist told me. Hope whatever path you choose works well for you - Let us know how it goes.

GREG

• Posted

Gene. I'm in that opposite camp but I completely agree w/ Greg. While not for everyone, CIC has been a Godsend for me.

• Posted

Thanks Arlington. Good to see CIC is working for you.

I was so grateful for the support in this forum in my early days of CIC.

It is reassuring when we can share our experiences

Thanks

GREG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.