PAE sedation

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a PAE in May 22 2019 . I was told I would get a mild sedative and would be awake during the procedure. I was given stuff to knock me completely out and only woke twice to see a different iR doing my procedure I also was given no relief for my BPH but now I have RE. NOT Happy!!! It was a teaching hospital in Tampa but it would have been nice if the head IR told me he was going to have his second do the procedure. Thinking I got the short end of the stick..No pun intended. I would like to know any of your experiences of your state of mind and body during your PAE.??? Were you knocked out???

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You were probably given a waiver of liability to sign prior to the procedure which means you have no recourse.

• Posted

I was only sedated, watched the entire procedure. Was asked to hold my breath repeatedly when they inserted the beads so nothing moved. It was a very pleasant experience. The doctor who did the operation was head of the IR department. My only discomfort was lying in a recovery bed for hours after on my back. My bladder filled up and I asked for a Foley catheter. Drained off 600cc of urine. After that, my bladder felt fine. Once I was allowed to stand up and the catheter came out I felt much better, but the procedure itself was very pleasant.

• Posted

Hi drummer wow that is a sad tale. I had a PAE in Sydney Australia with Dr Schlaphoff in October 2017. He is the head of Radiology at Liverpool hospital and runs a large private practice. He managed the operation and was assisted by another experienced IR - they worked together. They also had a nurse. They gave me "twilight" drugs. I was awake and aware during the procedure they even located the screens so I could also watch. Not sure I remember everything however certainly would have noticed if they changed out the doctor.

I think having a very experienced doctor (whether PAE, FLA, Holep, Turp etc is critical. Find it kind of shocking that they would be comfortable changing the primary doctor without telling you in advance. FWIW would suggest anyone ask that and also ask for a lot of detailed statistics prior to the operation. I have had both PAE and FLA and met with the doctors in advance and asked lots of questions like:

• Will you be doing the operation and will anyone else be involved?
    • What specific twilight drug will be used?
    • How many of this specific operation have you done?
    • How many had incontinence? RE? erection issues?
    • How much bleeding will be expected?
    • What other anomolies or side effects have people experienced?
    • etc etc etc

If the doctor was not happy to answer my questions would just move on... but in my case both the PAE doc (PAE worked for about 1.5 years) and FLA doctor (Karamanian, Houston) were happy to spend time with me and answer questions. They both went into great detail.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties. I was still getting improvements from the PAE up to the six month point hopefully you will too. Sadly the benefits did not last.

Also have heard that some men suffer RE but that in some cases it can get better though not all. Hopefully you are a lucky one...

• Posted

Joe,

Your PAE was only effective for 1 1/2 years? That's disconcerting. Did you at least experience some short-term benefit on par with what you are now experiencing post-FLA?

From my research, the benefits of PAE are seen at 6-12 months, and this is the time when PAE equals TURP in terms of Qmax increase, IPSS score reduction, PVR reduction, and QoL improvement.

HoLEP's attractiveness is it usually produces immediate results in urine flow - from the moment the catheter is removed the day after surgery.

Did Dr. Schlaphoff explain why your procedure was not a success?

How large was your prostate pre-PAE and do you have a protruding median lobe?

Now that you've had FLA, how are you doing? I hope this works for you and you can avoid a third procedure!

Dr. K is thorough and patient. These are difficult decisions we face, and it's unfortunate when surgeons rush men into surgery. Dr. K takes the time to answer questions, although I do think I may have even stretched his level of patience with perhaps too many questions.

Wishing you great results from FLA!

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael,

Sorry for slow response have been traveling. My PAE was limited as Dr S said the left side blood vessel architecture was such that he could not do anything there safely. Also I had a large median lobe. He hit the right side very hard. I had improvements starting after 4 weeks and by 3 months it was excellent. Dr S warned me that the limited procedure may be less effective. I was thrilled for about 15 months then started to see reversals and took action after about 20 months. I could have waited but did not want any bladder issues and did not want to risk an acute scenario. The size was 130.

I don't know what would have happened if he had been able to do both sides - perhaps it would have lasted longer - many men report benefits continuing for years. I have heard about some men seeing re-vascularization post PAE and then seeing growth returning. Maybe over time this will be better understood.

Things just keep getting better for now post FLA. Flow rate is dramatically improved and keeps improving and it is a long time between bathroom visits. I sleep through the night. I just don't think about it much anymore which in a way is the definition of success. I am still taking a single dose of Flomax though (used to be two doses) as occasionally I still do pass some things and want to ensure the "exit path" is clear... will get advice from Dr K on when to stop the drug entirely hopefully soon as now in 11th week post.

Wishing you all the best.

Joe

• Posted

Thank you all it was wonderful to learn about your expiriances and i thank you so much have an appt with DR on 8/27/19 and uro on 26th so wish me luck Thanxs again i appriciete you all sorry about spelling Stink at it LOL

• Posted

Sorry to hear you had someone practicing on you and not your personal Urologist. I would really be upset if ant procedure gave me RE. With drugs causing it at least you can stop. For those that are already dried up or have no interest in sex, then RE means nothing to them.

• Posted

Jim,

I had radiation for prostate cancer (successful) but now I have ED. This isn't because I am "dried up" or have "no interest in sex". Before my cancer treatment my wife and I had a wonderful sex life, but getting rid of the cancer was most important. So, RE is not an issue for me. I would be happy with any E.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.